Phishing

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawberryFieldsForever

Reaction score
I was going to add a link to EBay about Angelgotchis selling for 34$, and as I was pasting it into Tamatalk a message came up reporting Phishing. I have concerns regarding the seller if this message came up, I am not saying they are not legitimate but you might as well be safe. I don't know if I can name the seller, but if you go to Ebay.com and type in Angelgotchis you will know who I'm talking about.

About Phishing

Taken Form Wikipedia-

In computing, phishing is a criminal activity using social engineering techniques.[1] Phishers attempt to fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. EBay and Paypal are two of the most targeted companies, and online banks are also common targets. Phishing is typically carried out using email or an instant message,[2] and often directs users to a website, although phone contact has been used as well.[3] Attempts to deal with the growing number of reported phishing incidents include legislation, user training, and technical measures.

The first recorded mention of phishing is on the alt.online-service.america-online Usenet newsgroup on January 2, 1996,[4] although the term may have appeared even earlier in the print edition of the hacker magazine 2600.[5] The term phishing is a variant of fishing,[6] probably influenced by phreaking,[7][8] and alludes to the use of increasingly sophisticated lures to "fish" for users' financial information and passwords. The word may also be linked to leetspeak, in which ph is a common substitution for f.[9] The popular theory that it is a portmanteau of password harvesting[10] is an example of folk etymology.

Strawberry Fields Forever!! :)

That's why you should never arrange sales with eBay sellers outside of ebay; they've got stuff like buyer protection to keep you safe.

I think you may misunderstand a bit what phishing is - if that seller were to put that item up as buy now, and you were to purchase it, and you payed for it, and he never sent it, that would be fraud, not phishing.

Phishing would be more like an email that APPEARS to be from someone from eBay management. It would look authentic and give a faux reason for needing your personal information. It would ask for you to send the sender the information, and you would think you were doing something necessary whereas you are actually sending info to a person who will steal your identity and use your info to buy things.

Here is an example of an email that is fake. eBay will never ask for information in a manner such as this:

Hello, Valued eBay customer. We are opening a new validation system on ebay and we will need you to re-enter some key information in order for you to continue selling and buying on ebay. Don't worry! It's quick and painless, but necessary. Simply enter your full name, Dogs name, address, phone number, credit card, social security, and the number of sodas in your fridge in an email replying to this one.
Your account will be activated and ready to go in a few weeks and you can enjoy some brand new features we have prepared for you!

Regards,

eBay Management
They are scary, but if you use a little judgement, you will know. They are usually emails. Be very careful. People are sneaky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info you posted Gejitchi. Maybe I got a little confused but it is something to be aware of anyway while shopping online. It was just strange how that info came up on EBay instead of the link. :huh:

Thanks for the info you posted Gejitchi. Maybe I got a little confused but it is something to be aware of anyway while shopping online. It was just strange how that info came up on EBay instead of the link. ^_^
Happy to inform. You are right - It definitely is something for anyone who uses an ebay or paypal account to know about, because users of both those companies are prime targets for phishing attempts - a good rule of thumb is to never send sensitive information such as credit card info via IM or email. Obviously, there are some exceptions, but typically, if you get an email in your inbox that asks for such info, you should not answer and maybe even notify the company being imitated of the phishing attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back