Photo
- - - - -

oliver twist

• Please log in to reply

Tamasrthebest

• tamasrthebest user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:16 AM ( #1 )

anyone ever read Oliver Twist? ( im reading it for AR 33 points and 11th grade level im in 6th grade)anyways it's a pretty good book its kinda sad though " THE BOY SHALL BE HUNG!!" O_O he asked for more WHAT IS THEIR PROBLEM???lol

Replies

Views

Started

05 May 2007

Last Post

05 May 2007

spiffy

• spiffy user photo
  • Group: Retired TamaTalk Guides

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:40 AM ( #2 )

I have to read the original right now. It is a good book. I have yet to finish it, but it just proves how mean the world was not that long ago, and how children did not have the same rights as we do now.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:36 AM ( #3 )

Yes I have.

Arghhh... and I hated having to read it :D

I just don't get along with Dickens' verbose and prosy style of writing... goodness knows I've tried ... Pickwick Papers, Little Dorrit (*shudders*) and so on... :)

If you like Oliver Twist - you would probably like Jane Austin ("Emma" is funny) and Wilkie Collins ("The Moonstone" or "The Woman in White") - these novels are much more engaging (IMHO) :)

spiffy

• spiffy user photo
  • Group: Retired TamaTalk Guides

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:42 AM ( #4 )

Yes I have.

Arghhh... and I hated having to read it :D

I just don't get along with Dickens' verbose and prosy style of writing... goodness knows I've tried ... Pickwick Papers, Little Dorrit (*shudders*) and so on... :)

If you like Oliver Twist - you would probably like Jane Austin ("Emma" is funny) and Wilkie Collins ("The Moonstone" or "The Woman in White") - these novels are much more engaging (IMHO) :D

O.o

Jane Austin... (aaah!) I remember reading Sense and Sensibility (like Oliver Twist, we had to read it). It was absolutely awful ploughing through it, I never thought I'd end it.
Anyway, I finally finished it, so I had to read "This Rough Magic". That book was a lot more enjoyable and easier to read, and in one afternoon it was done. Then we came to Oliver Twist. In comparison to SS, I think its quite easy to read, just quite long. :)

SPeaking of the Woman in White... that is the next book on the 8th grade reading list. >.<

fluffums

• fluffums user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:49 PM ( #5 )

Yes, I read it in fourth grade because our school was doing a play on it. We didn't have to read it (I actually wasn't even in the play), I just chose to. It was a very good book!