Do you think value of special tamas can be kept?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikitta

Reaction score
I have been wondering about this and wanted to know what you tama collectors think. Do you think the originals, the specials like Yasashii and old limited editions tamagotchis will keep their value in the next 10 years time? When this wave of new connections/v4 etc calm down, do you think Tama will do a come back again? :eek:

There are so many V3 & V4 that those models may never retain their value. However, the older ones, the models already rare & expensive such as Devilgotch, Santaclautch, and Yasashi - they will for sure retain their value. Collect them if you like Tamagotchis, but don't collect them as an investment.

I travel to Japan every year. For the past while, any store (in Japan) that has Tamagotchis in stock had them on display next to the cash register, and had them in stock only for maybe a week after they were released. However on my most recent trip the Tamagotchis weren't there - they were on the wall rack with the other virtual pet toys, and they did not seem to be selling so fast. Maybe the Japanese just aren't warming up to the concept of the latest models - the TamaSuku (Tamagotchi School - where instead of raising a character, you are the teacher of a class and play is based on building up the size, popularity, and morale of the class.)

On my street, where I live, I know of six people (not including me) who have V4. Three of them had V3 and bought V4 when they came out, but the other three never had a V3 and only recently purchased a V4.

There are so many V3 & V4 that those models may never retain their value. However, the older ones, the models already rare & expensive such as Devilgotch, Santaclautch, and Yasashi - they will for sure retain their value. Collect them if you like Tamagotchis, but don't collect them as an investment.
I travel to Japan every year. For the past while, any store (in Japan) that has Tamagotchis in stock had them on display next to the cash register, and had them in stock only for maybe a week after they were released. However on my most recent trip the Tamagotchis weren't there - they were on the wall rack with the other virtual pet toys, and they did not seem to be selling so fast. Maybe the Japanese just aren't warming up to the concept of the latest models - the TamaSuku (Tamagotchi School - where instead of raising a character, you are the teacher of a class and play is based on building up the size, popularity, and morale of the class.)

On my street, where I live, I know of six people (not including me) who have V4. Three of them had V3 and bought V4 when they came out, but the other three never had a V3 and only recently purchased a V4.
ahh yeah, I wanna collect the older versions tamagotchi coz they have sentimental values. I wouldn't think it is a good investment either coz these trends come and go. Well those rarer ones you mentioned are already expensive now, so the prices I will have to pay will not go up anymore (just hope that they wont depreciate, haha). Is there anywhere I could get hold of a realistic price guide to these rarities?

There are so many toys in Japan, I guess it isn't so easy to become very popular with the customers unless it is a very original idea (like the original Tamagotchis)...I am not interested in the new V3/V4, I think I'd only go as far as Tamagotchi Plus, since like you said these new ones probably will not keep its value well, and I'm at an age where none of my friends play with Tamagotchis anymore, how can I 'connect' with them??!!

With the Tamasuku it might be because it's a lot of fun to have two normal Tamagotchi, because it's fun to care for more than one simultaneously and connect them up, but with Tamasuku, though it does connect, there isn't as much point to having more than one.

You're lucky to get to travel to Japan every year (except for the aeroplane flights, you see, I hate aeroplanes). I live in Australia and have only been out of Australia twice in my whole entire life (both times they were to Singapore and the first time I was a baby).

Maybe the Connexions will get better value IF, and only IF they release a newer type of Tamagotchi some years later. And if they do the originals' prices will go up increasingly. Who knows?

Some of the older tamas are starting to act st rangely already.

I am in a group where we do group hatches of certain things at certain times of the year and some of us have had problems with some of our stuff already. The Tamagotchis can go bad after a few years especially if you leave the batteries in.

I take the batteries out of everything I store in the safe but I often forget to take the batteries out of the other ones. One of these days, I will have to go through my bins and just start taking batteries out!

So people have to think ahead when they do the long term storage thing.

As far as collectability goes, it's often the most common ones will turn out to be the most desireable ones in the future.

It's like collecting cars! It's the ones you saw 25+ years ago that you will want again. Not usually the uncomon ones.

But I suppose that when people decide to collect, they will go for the more unusual ones like Yasashii *yawn..* or Devil *good luck*

The rares have problems all their own.

Yasashii is not the greatest play wise and the characters are not cute at all. Then the Devils had soft screws so it's hard to find one in perfect condition. The 2 Devils I play with both have to have their backs taped down because I had to drill out the screws. That is a common problem for the Devils.

When you collect, you will hear about the quirks these things can have and you will just have to take your chances on what you get.

So weather or not these will keep their value, increase or decrease in value is a mystery.

Never collect because you think there could be a market for them in the future. Collect because you love what you collect :lol:

hehe I only really am looking to collect one from each series, like 1 from P1 (actually already have 1 from 10 years ago)...1 from P2, which is arriving tomorrow! 1 Angel, and so on. So hopefully they wont cost me too much ...I am ok with not getting Devil I guess....I do prefer Japanese ones, so apart from the English Ocean, should the Japanese Tamagotchi be more expensive in general? :)

...the Devils had soft screws so it's hard to find one in perfect condition. The 2 Devils I play with both have to have their backs taped down because I had to drill out the screws. That is a common problem for the Devils.

My Deviltch has one of the screw heads twisted off. (I got it used, that way.) The next time I see a P1/P2 cheap, I think I'll buy it for parts - the screws.

I am not really a collector, but I can't sell any single one of them! If I someday get bored with them, I'll just take the batteries out and store them in a safe place. Once when I grow up, they'll be my beloved childhood memories.

I am not really a collector, but I can't sell any single one of them! If I someday get bored with them, I'll just take the batteries out and store them in a safe place. Once when I grow up, they'll be my beloved childhood memories.
Oh yea....I'm buying all those because I couldn't get them when I was a child...too expensive haha....

So seems like the Devil has very bad screws....I wonder why..what about other P1/P2....do they have problems too? Oh well, doesn't seem like those are keeping their value well lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The great thing about eBay is that you can sell old tamas for quite a little profit. I've seen some original, used tamas go for $30! A bit insane, but the one who sold them must be happy!

I am wondering if eye glass repair kits would be a good source or replacement crews. They are cheaper than tamas and include tiny screws of different sizes as well as a tiny screwdriver. Might be something worth looking into.

The great thing about eBay is that you can sell old tamas for quite a little profit. I've seen some original, used tamas go for $30! A bit insane, but the one who sold them must be happy!
Ah ...well I haven't seen old tamas go for that much yet....yeah someone must have been desperate! There are quite a few on ebay now..although some sellers have no ideas what they are selling , calling a P2 a Morino etc...dang :huh:

I am wondering if eye glass repair kits would be a good source or replacement crews.  They are cheaper than tamas and include tiny screws of different sizes as well as a tiny screwdriver.
What are those? Where can you get them? The special tamas I got all are new but I may have to look into the screws problem....dont want them to depreciate too much ..hahah :huh:

One thing that I've noticed as a bit odd...

Tamagotchi Minis only came out a year or two ago here in the US, and they cost $10 then... I now see very very few Minis for sale on eBay, and the US ones are running for $30! :(

One thing I'm worried about with the new Tamagotchis that use internet connectivity... what happens when Bandai decides to take those websites down? I wonder if this would affect the value of them. I doubt Bandai's going to maintain those sites for 20+ years.

You can find eyeglass repair kits in Walmart or grocery stores. They are rather cheap, usually less than two dollars. It comes with a small screwdriver and small screws of variying sizes to fit different glasses. It seems to make sence that one of them might fit the tama.

Minis huh? I had never even head of them before. Are they much different?

Does anyone know anything of the new 4.5s coming out? I may look into getting one, which will make 4 for me.

You can find eyeglass repair kits in Walmart or grocery stores.  They are rather cheap, usually less than two dollars.  It comes with a small screwdriver and small screws of variying sizes to fit different glasses.  It seems to make sence that one of them might fit the tama. 
Minis huh?  I had never even head of them before.  Are they much different?

Does anyone know anything of the new 4.5s coming out?  I may look into getting one, which will make 4 for me.
There's a small article about them on Wikipedia (top of linked page).

Basically, they're about 60% smaller than the original 1997 Tamagotchi, with the original characters. I haven't been able to find a character chart to confirm this completely, though. They are extremely basic with blocky little graphics. When they are born, they are instantly in child stage. I think they go straight from child to adult stage after 2 days or so. (I just started mine up after almost 2 years, I can't remember exactly.) You cannot check any status, or cycle through commands. They don't have any genders, either. There is no connectivity, like in the originals. The A button is just context sensitive. If there is poop on the screen, pressing A flushes, if they are sleeping, pressing A turns off the light, etc. There is no game to play. Feeding them meals keeps them full, and feeding them snacks keeps them happy. It does have clock functionality, but will not tell you the date.

They came out in the US in 2004, I believe. I think they were mostly made as a little retro toy. Even though it is so simple, it is my Tama of choice when going to work, since it only takes seconds to care for, and it's very discrete! It seems to be not that much larger than a silver dollar. (It is much thicker though.) Being an adult, I'm a bit embarrassed to like Tamagotchis around coworkers. -_-

EDIT: Yes, Minis do take 2 days to reach adult stage; mine is 2 days old and turned into Kuchipatchi while I was typing this up. :D

To be honest no i dont.

i dont think that tama's will keep there price.

i think that in about 2-3 years they will be extinced.

no affence

From Taylzie :p

haha, well I didn't buy the mini because it hasn't got much to do ...I bought quite a few rarer 1996-8 tamas and bring to work too (I'm a bit older than you Theola ...guess co-workers do think I'm childish whatever, I think many people have their own collection of toys lol :eek:

If I am collecting them for life then I suppose it doesn't matter if their market value drop...since they still worth a lot in my eyes. Just hope I wont end up having to sell my tamas to make enough money to live on :huh:

The newest tamas which connect to the internet dont seem to keep their value ....and I agree, is Bandai going to keep those website open for 20 years? I wonder...may be they would, if they were to bring out high tech tamagotchis in the future...who knows! I dont think Bandai will remake the retro ones though. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back