Older readers

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiecat

Reaction score
Oooh, my first topic post. Anyway, I've been looking for some new authors lately but none of my friends seem to read the same genres I do. No offense to anyone but I'm looking for books above the young adult level. I like sci-fi and fantasy for the most part, with a bit of historical fiction thrown in for fun. Just to give you an idea: I enjoy Tanith Lee, Robin Hobb, Anne Bishop, H.G. Wells, Neil Gaiman, etc. If anyone could give me a hand in discovering some new authors I would be greatly appreicative. Thank you!

~Rosie

(Oh, and on a side note, if anyone knows of any books that have a recreation of the Mr. Finch/Mr. Fox/Bluebeard myth I would love to know.)

If you enjoy mystery novels, and police-type novels, this book I finished reading, called "The Blindman in Seville", bye Robert Wilson was quite entertaining. For adult audience.

My parents also read Kathy Reichs, although I still haven't thumbed any of her books yet. Maybe you would enjoy some of those :angry:

I dont know what level it is, but Artemis Fowl is a great book. Its by eion colfer, and is kind of fantasy but not baby kinds.

Try the Philip Pullman books (trilogy): Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass

It's kind of fantasy about a world parallel to ours and its pretty good IMO

I think they've just made a film about it - called it the Magic Compass or something like that :D

I would reccomend 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry. It's about a completly perfect world. I thought that it was really good, but some parts were sort of strange.

The Bryant and May series are fantastic! Most of them take place in World War II, and it has to do all about history. They're mystery books, mostly. They are for adults.

Charles Dickens is also great. You might think they're stuffy, boring books, but they're not. My favorites are Great Expectations and a Tale of Two Cities.

[SIZE=21pt]i think almost all of my favorite books are fantasy and fiction, so i think you will love these[/SIZE]

•harry potter [but i'm sure you've been told that alot.

•shakespear's scribe [awesome book, not too historical, but fiction based on truth, but about a boy named widge]

•hangman's curse [awesme and scary, not too scary]

•the edge chronicals [about a boy named twig, AWESOME!}

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Fluffums, Oliver Twist is one of my favorite novels. I've read everything by Charles Dickens...and most of the other "classical" authors. I swear there aren't enough books in this world.

If you like historic fiction, then give Memoirs of a Geisha a whirl- the book's much better than the movie.

Teenage Girl's may enjoy the Series 'My Secret Hollywood Life' by Jen Calonita,who is a real Celebrity journalist.

What if... Your picture was taped inside lockers across America, your closets were bursting with designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status?

It's a glamorous life, but Kaitlin Burke, co-star of one of the hottest shows on TV, is exhausted from the pressures of her fame. So she decides to spend a few months undercover as an ordinary high school student. But could it be that real-life high school is just as harsh as cutthroat Hollywood...?

A Very fun novel that Teens are sure to enjoy. :blink: Easygoing and fun.

Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Teenage Girl's may enjoy the Series 'My Secret Hollywood Life' by Jen Calonita,who is a real Celebrity journalist.  

What if... Your picture was taped inside lockers across America, your closets were bursting with designer clothing, and the tabloids constantly asked whether you were losing your "good girl" status?

It's a glamorous life, but Kaitlin Burke, co-star of one of the hottest shows on TV, is exhausted from the pressures of her fame. So she decides to spend a few months undercover as an ordinary high school student. But could it be that real-life high school is just as harsh as cutthroat Hollywood...?

A Very fun novel that Teens are sure to enjoy. :D Easygoing and fun.

Here

That sounds awesome, I'll have to read it!

*BTW congrats on 1,4oo posts, your getting close to me, jk.

I'd advise some of Danielle Steel's books; they're not exactly fantasy, but even so, they're very good books.

If you enjoy Charles Dickens, then try novels by Wilkie Collins - The Woman In White, The Moonstone, No Name - all his stuff is very good and very much like CD... also Jane Austin - Pride & Prejudice, Northhanger Abbey, Sense & Sensibility, etc.

Lol, read all of Jane Austin. I want to thank everyone for their contributions. I'm not really interested in any books for teens, looking for older then that ; D. But I'm sure others who visit this topic would be interested in teen books. Maybe I'll start a topic of suggested reading? That way people could have a place to recommend their favorite books and it would be useful for those of us who are currently bookless.

~Rosie

For history-fiction novels try reading Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata. It's about a Japanese girl trying to fit into American society in the 1950s. There was a lot of racism during that time. Also the girls big sister catches leukemia and the family is poor.

Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata is another history-fiction novel. It's about a Japanese girl in America who's family own a flower farm. The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbour and the U.S.A declare war on Japan. The girl and her family are sent to an internment camp where she meets a boy who is angry because the camp is on his tribe's land.

Hey, here are my two favourite authors

Michael Crichton, who has written Jurassic Park, Time Line, and many more but my two favourites are "prey" sci fi for the current day and "the Andromeda strain" which is somewhat historical and also sci fi. Super interesting books and an easy read.

Kurt Vonnegut, who has written Breakfast of Champions (definitely recommend) Slaughterhouse Five (another good one) and Cats Cradle, to name a few. Not necessarily anything you described as your interests but I think most adults would get a huge kick out of his work. Its very interesting, funny and.. well just good fiction. Very easy reads.

Happy book hunting!

Well did you ever hear of Alien vs. Predator? There are books about just the aliens, and others of just the predators, and some are movie books. They are great, but have swearing in them. It's sci-fi and very gory, but they are awesome in my opinion.

And "The Prophecy Of The Stones" is pretty good too. When you read a description online it may sound little kidish but it's more of a later teens fantasy novel, but check it anyways.

My friend says "Marley and Me" is supposed to be a good book, but not fantasy or anything. I never read it but I plan to very soon.

Latest posts

Back