will ants hurt my hamster

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doglover10

Reaction score
there are ants in my new hamster's cage and he is asleep and new so i dont want to bother him and wake him up! will the ants hurt my hammie please help me!! how do i get rid of them!!!

They won't hurt him (unless they are biting ants), but you should get them out of there as quickly as possible. And you should also ask your parents about getting something to take care of the ants. Even though he's sleeping, you can still take him out and put him in his ball or something while you clean his cage.

As far as I can't tell, I don't think the ants will hurt your hamster. I don't think he will even feel them.

Are they biting ants? Are they red ants? If so, then YES they will hurt your hammie. Take him out of his habitat and clean the habitat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they biting ants? Are they red ants? If so, then YES they will hurt your hammie. Take him out of his habitat and clean the habitat.
there just the little black ants and i realy cant hold him right now cuz he it a brand new hamster and i have never handled him before infact im in the middle of hand training him. im just afrid they will get on him and he will bite himself to get them off :D

there just the little black ants and i realy cant hold him right now cuz he it a brand new hamster and i have never handled him before infact im in the middle of hand training him. im just afrid they will get on him and he will bite himself to get them off :(
Have your mom or dad handle him, clean his cage and use a teaspoon of animal disinfectant.

I've seen ants eat praying mantises and even small frogs. They'll eat anything, they might bite your hamster. Better safe than sorry.

First of all, I'm wondering how on earth ants got in the cage. Is your house currently infested with them? If not, then you might have got a bad package of hamster food, since I see no other reason why bugs would be attracted to a hamster. Just to be safe, freeze his food for a while. That will kill all bugs. Next, get him into a carrier somehow or another, and leave him there while you clean the cage. Make sure to rinse it well afterwards. Then put him back in his cage. If more ants come, throw out the old food and get a sealed, high-quality new bag of food.

I've seen ants eat praying mantises and even small frogs. They'll eat anything, they might bite your hamster. Better safe than sorry.
First of all, I'm wondering how on earth ants got in the cage. Is your house currently infested with them? If not, then you might have got a bad package of hamster food, since I see no other reason why bugs would be attracted to a hamster. Just to be safe, freeze his food for a while. That will kill all bugs. Next, get him into a carrier somehow or another, and leave him there while you clean the cage. Make sure to rinse it well afterwards. Then put him back in his cage. If more ants come, throw out the old food and get a sealed, high-quality new bag of food.
ok i got the bugs out! :lol: eventually i got him out of the cage and i used animal disinfectant and it worked! :lol:

but i have one more thing to ask! ( so sorry for all the questions!)

my brouther told me about how his friend's hamster died of over feeding and that made me think... :angry: how do u over feed a hamster?! Am i over feeding my hamster?

cuz i just refill his food bowl every time it gets empty and i know he has some hidden in the cage and he has some in his pouches but how do i know if he eaat all of his hidden food?

so please tell me how u over feed a hamster :lol:

You should of never had ants for any reason in the first place 0-0''

ok i got the bugs out! :angry: eventually i got him out of the cage and i used animal disinfectant and it worked! :angry:

my brouther told me about how his friend's hamster died of over feeding and that made me think... :D how do u over feed a hamster?! Am i over feeding my hamster?

cuz i just refill his food bowl every time it gets empty and i know he has some hidden in the cage and he has some in his pouches but how do i know if he eaat all of his hidden food?

so please tell me how u over feed a hamster :angry:
Refilling the dish when it's empty is fine. :angry: That's the best way to feed a hamster, to make sure he eats all the healthy stuff, and not just the sunflower seeds. Overfeeding would be, I guess......giving your hamster wayyyyyy too much food, even when the dish wasn't empty.

ok i got the bugs out! :D   eventually i got him out of the cage and i used animal disinfectant and it worked! :D

my brouther told me about how his friend's hamster died of over feeding and that made me think...  :) how do u over feed a hamster?! Am i over feeding my hamster?

so please tell me how u over feed a hamster :D
That's too much. An animal shouldn't be constantly eating. Depending on the size of a hamster, he should only be getting two tablespoons of food a day. (I have a rabbit, and I feed him once a day. Sometimes at the end of the day he still has food in his bowl, so I take that out and give him fresh food.) Give him wooden chewing blocks (make sure they're safe for hamsters and haven't been treated with chemicles.) Filling up the dish when it's empty would be okay if it's a really small dish and throughout the day you only give him two tablespoons of food.

Your hamster will eat if he is hungry, but he will also eat even if he isn't. So unless for a week he hasn't eaten anything in his bowl, you don't need to worry about him not getting fed enough as long as you are feeding him two tablespoons a day. (Two tablespoons would be good for a regular hamster, not a dwarf hamster.)

That's too much. An animal shouldn't be constantly eating. Depending on the size of a hamster, he should only be getting two tablespoons of food a day. (I have a rabbit, and I feed him once a day. Sometimes at the end of the day he still has food in his bowl, so I take that out and give him fresh food.) Give him wooden chewing blocks (make sure they're safe for hamsters and haven't been treated with chemicles.)
Your hamster will eat if he is hungry, but he will also eat even if he isn't. So unless for a week he hasn't eaten anything in his bowl, you don't need to worry about him not getting fed enough as long as you are feeding him two tablespoons a day. (Two tablespoons would be good for a regular hamster, not a dwarf hamster.)
Well it usually takes a hammy about a day to finish all his food anyway.

That's too much. An animal shouldn't be constantly eating. Depending on the size of a hamster, he should only be getting two tablespoons of food a day. (I have a rabbit, and I feed him once a day. Sometimes at the end of the day he still has food in his bowl, so I take that out and give him fresh food.) Give him wooden chewing blocks (make sure they're safe for hamsters and haven't been treated with chemicles.) Filling up the dish when it's empty would be okay if it's a really small dish and throughout the day you only give him two tablespoons of food.
ya his food bowl it realy smal and there is a piont at the food bowl were i only fill it to, because if i put any more food in... he kicks it out :mellow: i learnd my leson :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back