Has Tamagotchi lost its meaning?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrowFrost~

Reaction score
I have been thinking, I know that the original Tamagotchi (p1-v1...?) were more focused on raising a Tamagotchi, not the shop and everything else. Has the Tamagotchi lost it's meaning? I mean, a DS game? Tamagotchi's were meant to be little black pixel handheld pets. I think Bandai is taking it too far from the original concept. I own no v1's or p anythings, but they are the true Tamagotchi, just the way Aki liked.

What do you think?

Well, for a start, not all of the original Tamagotchi things were pets. Remember Arukotchi? It was a dating simulator-like pet.

As for Tamagotchi losing its meaning. I don't believe it has. I think its original meaning, from the very beginning to right now, was to simulate life in some way or form. So far, the only Tamagotchi I've seen that doesn't simulate life is the Angelgotchi (it simulates afterlife).

And the rest of them, as well. The V4/V4.5 simulate growing up, education, and the working world. The Keitai/Akai, V2, and V3 also simulate life, more like a teen or preteen life, as it seems. TamaSuku focuses on education, Famitama focuses on a family life...you get the idea.

The games, anime, and movie are all things that go along with a trend like Tamagotchi. It's no different than what happened with Pokemon. It started off as one thing, with one concept, and suddenly burst into millions of other ideas.

As Bandai said, they're not hoping for Tamagotchi to be a giant boom like it was back in the old years. They just wanted to bring it back for the new generation.

~OM21

I agree OM21. I don't believe tamagotchi's have lost their meaning. I believe that they have merely expanded on their meaning.

They were originally for little pets that you can take care of that you can always carry. Now, you can take care of it in more ways. (Such as letting it go to school, work, etc.) Same concept, new ideas. :)

One thing I wanted to say is that "tamago" is meant to mean "egg." So why is it that Tamagotchi are looking less and less like eggs with all the antennae and all that?

Yes, but Bandai doesn't want the people that purchase tamagotchis to get bored with their tamagotchi, right? ;) Because, just taking care of a virtual pet is pretty boring. You need some games, and some extra features to have the tamagotchi owner happy :)

I personaly think that tamas are better in some ways and worse in others.The games are to competitive and win/lose. the old games (I lst my V1)were more focused on the happieness of your gotchi.Now they are WAY to competitive. B)

I personaly think that tamas are better in some ways and worse in others.The games are to competitive and win/lose. the old games (I lst my V1)were more focused on the happieness of your gotchi.Now they are WAY to competitive. ^_^
I kinda feel that way as well. I love my v1, but I don't really like my v4.

(I've actually been bashing my v4 with my fist the past few days.)

i agree with crowfrost. the tamagotchi was about raising a pet, not buying things in shops. i love my V1!

I've actually been bashing my v4 with my fist the past few days.
Umm... okay? If you hate it so much, just tab it or take the batteries out... :D

I don't think Tamagotchi has lost its meaning. I do agree that V3-V4/V4.5 focuses more on shopping and school, but with the new FamiTama/V5, it appears that it focuses more on raising a pet again (only this time, a whole family of them!). :(

-DDDTrooper

I think as with all companies, Bandai is trying just to get more money off Tamagotchis. They're not the first to expand. Remember Pokemon? All of a sudden, BOOM, a million pieces of merchandise come out. I mean, I hope Tamagotchi won't completely lose all meaning of raising a pet, but exactly, A DS game? Soon there will be Tamagotchi socks, pins, trading cards, and just a ton of stuff little kids and collectors will die for. I think Tamagotchi is trying to expand slowly, tryring to make sure people don't notice that much as the kids get older, but they're expanding surely.

Umm... okay? If you hate it so much, just tab it or take the batteries out... :lol:
I don't think Tamagotchi has lost its meaning. I do agree that V3-V4/V4.5 focuses more on shopping and school, but with the new FamiTama/V5, it appears that it focuses more on raising a pet again (only this time, a whole family of them!). :angry:

-DDDTrooper
I only raise my v4 because it's quicker to mate via connection than wait for the matchmaker. (Trying to get up to 99th Generation on my v1, I'm on 96th right now.)

I believe that with most versions you can kinda have a "special" time with it. Most IR Tamagotchi give you the ability to name your Tamagotchi so you can call it by name (though it won't actually respond, but some people do like calling their Tamagotchi by name). With the Famitama it doesn't really seem that way, though I don't have a Famitama so I can't say much.

No, Tamagotchi has not lost its meaning. The point is to raise your pet into a healthy individual. They just tossed in the shops and games so it wouldn't get boring.

And no, tamas are not looking less and less like eggs. They are still egg-shaped, but they have antennas just to look decorative.

I don't think it has. I think BanDai just added some extra features (shop, games, items, TamaTown, ect) so that they aren't boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I wanted to say is that "tamago" is meant to mean "egg." So why is it that Tamagotchi are looking less and less like eggs with all the antennae and all that?
I didn't mind V1,V2, or even V3. Why does Bandai have to have that Antennae on the V4/V4.5/Entama/Uratama? I know its for design but I find that it gets on my nerves. Its always in my way. Its the one reason I put my V4 in a V3 shell. Wish they kept the simple egg design.

v1 I must say was the best version I ever played with- but Bandai couldn't just leave it at v1, people wanted more from Tamagotchi, so they upgraded it- and they kept upgrading and probably still are to this day!

PockyGril= I guessthey just wanted something else instead of allways just an egg shaped shell. :blink:

I agree with crowfrost though- It looks like Bandai has gone too far- they keep speeding things up to get the 'new design' and 'new characters' I must admit the v4 was alright.

But what happened to the old days, when we were all just happy connecting out tamagotchis together.

Making thing happen on the internet s way to much, what if some people don't have computers?

Well, for a start, not all of the original Tamagotchi things were pets. Remember Arukotchi? It was a dating simulator-like pet.
As for Tamagotchi losing its meaning. I don't believe it has. I think its original meaning, from the very beginning to right now, was to simulate life in some way or form. So far, the only Tamagotchi I've seen that doesn't simulate life is the Angelgotchi (it simulates afterlife).

And the rest of them, as well. The V4/V4.5 simulate growing up, education, and the working world. The Keitai/Akai, V2, and V3 also simulate life, more like a teen or preteen life, as it seems. TamaSuku focuses on education, Famitama focuses on a family life...you get the idea.

The games, anime, and movie are all things that go along with a trend like Tamagotchi. It's no different than what happened with Pokemon. It started off as one thing, with one concept, and suddenly burst into millions of other ideas.

As Bandai said, they're not hoping for Tamagotchi to be a giant boom like it was back in the old years. They just wanted to bring it back for the new generation.

~OM21
I agree with you! :(

From what I see, Bandai are just trying to make it as much as a real life as possible.

I honestly have to say that tamagotchi has lost a good part of its meaning. It started as a wonderful digital pet, but when the 'cash cow' potential of the toy was realized, bandai began exploiting the product line. I think that bandai has really gone too far...

Please do not spam anywhere on the forums, it is most certainly not allowed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back