Photo
- - - - -

How to Debug a Tamagotchi v5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PiIsARational

• piisarational user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:19 PM ( #18 )

Just letting a few people know, I have successfully activated the Debugging Mode. As Binary said, it's definitely not a beginner project. I've been messing with electronics for a good 5-6 years now and I messed up the first Tamagotchi I tried this on. I made sure to heed Binary's advice and get 30 Gauge Wire Wrap and a low wattage soldering iron. I also purchased a pair of helping hands with a magnifying glass out at radio shack (only about $12 or so I believe). With all of this I still managed to botch the first one, I used a little bit too much flux on the contacts and it spilled over to one of the tracks and burned the PCB a bit, so now there's a line going through the middle on the screen. The Tamagotchi still functions, however. The second time around I used a cuetip to apply the flux. Be careful when doing this mod. If you have a rare colour or something like that try it on another one first, you can always swap the circuit boards out (just make sure to be careful with the speaker!).

Anyways, good luck to all who try this, it's definitely a project that'll take you a good 15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on your soldering experience.

[reposted from Tama-Zone]

P.S.

BG93: I'm surprised your method works, though I wouldn't leave it like that for very long. The wire could eventually slip up and end up shorting something on the PCB or just falling off and moving around all together and force you to reset.

Edited by PiIsARational, 13 April 2008 - 05:20 PM.

MiscMcCatzzz

• miscmccatzzz user photo

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:31 AM ( #19 )

Debugging is risky but slightly worth it, if you are willing to throw away a tenner or three then I would recommend you do it.
You can break your tamagotchi by doing this, so try not to unless you really want to. Bandai will make it more and more complicated for people if you keep trying and in the future we might not be able to debug.
Debugging means you cant go into tamatowns or look after/play with your tamagotchi properly.
What would the fun be in debugging all the time? Its just a tamagotchi, nothing to cheat about. Your tamagotchi would die far sooner.
Have fun everyone!

PiIsARational

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:06 AM ( #20 )

The inability to use TamaTown is only on the v4. Everything completely functions normally on a v5 and your Tamagotchi doesn't die "sooner", it just hasn't been living for these extra 3 days or so it takes to evolve if you're making it an adult. I think the route they went with debugging is probably complex enough, only a handful of people here have even attempted it, fewer than that actually succeeded.

~*Danni~*

• danni user photo

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:10 AM ( #21 )

Wow! That guide is very good so, I guess you have tried debugging a tamagotchi V5 or atleast aother version tamagotchi, you must be very skilled.

~*Danni~*

PiIsARational

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:31 AM ( #22 )

Yeah, I got two v5's debugged. Takes a good 20-30 minutes for me to get it all done and make sure everything works. I ended up going out and buying "Helping Hands" with a Magnifier attached to it so it could hold the board in place and all of that. Definitely recommended (if not crucial) for this job.

cool tama ryan

• cool-tama-ryan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:18 PM ( #23 )

You cannot debug an english v5.

PiIsARational

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:26 PM ( #24 )

Yes, you can. I have two that are debugged and are working fine. The only difference besides the layouts are a bit switched around on the PCB are the jumpers which control what region the Tamagotchi is from. Changing the jumpers will change the specific access codes you receive on TamaTown. There is a thread on Tama-Zone where Binary documented all this. Go to this link, http://tama-zone.com...dpost&p=2975019 , to find out more. It can and has been done, multiple times. If a video of me personally doing it is necessary then by all means, lol. (I was going to make a video demonstrating how hard it actually is to do it but I haven't had the time. Plus, I need to buy another V5 to do it on.

EDIT: Isn't BG93's video of him personally doing this enough to convince you? The debug screens show up in Japanese, well the selecting the Generation and how many characters you want on screen. :o

Edited by PiIsARational, 14 April 2008 - 04:29 PM.

mametchi lover63626

• mametchi-lover63626 user photo

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:27 AM ( #25 )

That was AWESOME!!!! :) ^_^ :lol: ;)

TeChNo_RaVe

• techno-rave user photo

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:37 PM ( #26 )

:( hm.. it was interesting.. yes.. but.. i dont think i EVER wanna risk debugging it.. that one person was right too..bandai IS making it harder to debug the tamas.. and that is kind of a good thing.. i myself.. grew up with tamagotchis.. i am now 21.. and i own the V5.. i dont think ill EVER risk debugging my tama.. even that dude on the video was having a hard time with the roof part of it.. lol, and he also broke the sound wire.. plus.. tamas cost too much to risk breaking... even though i now see the V4.5s and past ones at $10 now.. so yeah.. if you wanna debug em.. go for it! lol... as for me.. ill just enjoy watching the process.. it IS interesting to see what it looks like on the inside.. now.. i just wish i could see how they make em.. step-by-step... :wacko:

PiIsARational

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:25 PM ( #27 )

It's not impossible, if you ever took a shop/electronics class and made a strobe light or something stupid you should be able to handle it without being 13 like that kid and using tape, lol.

TamagotLittleEgg#

• tamagotlittleegg user photo

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:57 PM ( #28 )

Cool, but I dont want to tisk my cousins tama. She would be really upset because she hates debugging and its the only v5 in the house.

Edited by TamagotLittleEgg#, 15 April 2008 - 04:02 PM.

ooomar123

• ooomar123 user photo
  • Group: Banned

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:16 AM ( #29 )

i just debuged it and i broke my tamagotchi
so i need to get a new one.

mametchis_love_me

• mametchis-love-me user photo

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:29 AM ( #30 )

Are you sure that you BROKE your tama, oomar123? Is it in hyperspeed nonstop, or is it really broken with the screen blank and everything? One time I debuged my sisters v4 and it was pooping all over and I couldn't stop it. She got so mad at me until I figured out that you could erase the pencil marks on the debug button, even though v5s don't have a debug button. (I think...)

TeChNo_RaVe

• techno-rave user photo

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:37 AM ( #31 )

lmao you gave it virtual hersey squirts!! :hitodetchi:

tamacrazy808

• tamacrazy808 user photo

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:41 AM ( #32 )

omg my english v5 will not debug im always online help me :hitodetchi: :(

PiIsARational

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:00 PM ( #33 )

are you actually doing it right with a soldering iron and whatnot?

EDIT: my AIM and things are in my profile, so you can message me on there for help.

Edited by PiIsARational, 16 April 2008 - 01:00 PM.

meotchi

• meotchi user photo

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:02 AM ( #34 )

ok i understand but i cant watch the video can you send it to me in pics and ps what wire do i use and can i use tape :huh: :( [COLOR=blue]