To Play or Not to Play ... A Mint 1997

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a beautiful mint 1997 vintage Tama on eBay, and at first I was SO excited. Believe it or not, I'm old enough to have played with an original when they first came out (my original is long lost to the gods of "Mom-cleaned-out-the-house-when-I-moved-out").

Anyways, my question is - how much am I depleting the value of my tama if I take it out and play? Can I possible resist playing with it, or should I? I know I'm going to want to rip it out of the box the minute I get it!!!!

Need opinions: to play or not to play?

Thanks!

Firstly, we can't tell you what to do.

It's your tama, your money and your choice what you do with it.

I can only tell you what I would think about if I were in the same situation as you and it depends on several things :p

First, is the tama a rare shell design? If it is, then it's worth more untouched and in the pack.

Are you a serious collector? Do you intend to sell a collection of tamagotchis for profit at a later stage? If so, then it's worth more untouched and in the pack.

Do you monitor ebay for 1997 P1 tamas (or other vintage versions)?

If so, then you'll probably see used ones come up quite regularly and they're not so expensive as those in mint condition.

If you really want to play with a P1, I would suggest trying to buy one that works but is out of the packet and has been used and leave your brand new '97 untouched.

If it's not a rare shell design and you're not a collector intending to sell the tama for profit later then go ahead and rip open that pack :) :D

Personally, I collect tamas randomly (not at all seriously) and I try to get different versions where they become available, but I buy them to play with - not to keep and sell for profit later.

Therefore, for me, I am happy to buy used and out of packet tamas - as long as they work.

(The only vintage tama I've ever bought brand new was a Mothra on ebay, but it was one of the common designs and actually only cost me about $15.00).

I can't even consider bidding for things like Devilgotchis or Santaclautchis - new or used. Just can't afford that kind of price ;)

You should play with it because if you lost your other one at least you have your 1997 tamagotchi with you. Hey, at least it is better than nothing

if it were me i'd use it. but if you are a serious collector and want to sell it later on it would be worth more unused and in its packet. but unless you're going to sell it later on whats the point of having a tama to sit on a shelf and stare at...much better to raise it.

Depends on your situation.

Good luck with it whatever you decide!

The decision: I'm so totally playing with it right now and I LOVE IT!!!! SOOOO CUTE! yay for tamas.

I had the same dilemma for about 2 minutes, until I found myself ripping open the box and untabbing that sucker without even a second of hesitation.

I think you made a good choice. There are always others out there if you decide you want to collect later, but there's just something special about the older Ancestors.

YES! that was a fairly good choice, if I say so myself. :D

In my case, though, I go with a pattern- If I already have 1 P1 and 1 P2, I'll keep the rest of them packaged and safe. so, I'd have two different 1997 tamagotchis to play with, enough to be satisfied and not open any other ones (or the rare designs), knowing that they would be the same games/characters/ect.

(and, I was alive and kickin' during the frantic tamagotchi craze, but I was too young to even know how to play it!)

If you need any help on it (if you forgot something or whatever), you should try the vintage tamagotchi criteria. :lol: Good luck on your new tamagotchi!!!

@CTF@

I have a P2, but my dad won't let me use it. The box is already destroyed so it really has no value anymore. It's ok though. For me, it's just nice to have an old Tama. <33 Glad you decided to play with it, I guess. Well, I mean, it does seem like you're happy with your decision so good for you! =DD

The decision: I'm so totally playing with it right now and I LOVE IT!!!! SOOOO CUTE! yay for tamas.
:D That's the way! I'm sure your little guy is happy to be out of that stuffy box and having some fun for the first time in his life! I used to play with my friends V1 at school and by the time I could scrape some money together to get one there were only V2s! :D My Tamagotchi are probably still at my Mom's house... Oooh! I want them back! My old room is so messy though! I know I even have a Tamagotchi Ocean there somewhere..... :D

Hi everyone,I just bought a beautiful mint 1997 vintage Tama on eBay, and at first I was SO excited. Believe it or not, I'm old enough to have played with an original when they first came out (my original is long lost to the gods of "Mom-cleaned-out-the-house-when-I-moved-out").

Anyways, my question is - how much am I depleting the value of my tama if I take it out and play? Can I possible resist playing with it, or should I? I know I'm going to want to rip it out of the box the minute I get it!!!!

Need opinions: to play or not to play?

Thanks!
Just one thing...what is the point of getting tamas if all you do is put them on the shelf and watch them collect dust for 20 years - BORING! you would get alot of money if it was still in the box but seriously is it worth it? money isnt the meaning of life. I would play it and have some fun! ;) :D

Yaay! You decided to play with it. That's what I would of done!

You have to enjoy things while you have them, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You made the right choice! I'm sure that the G1/G2 tamagotchi won't even be worth that much in the near future because we already have the Angel, Devil, Ocean, and Santa's up on eBay, in addition to the Golden V3 (still have mine in it's case sitting near my bed!). Have fun with your old... or new... tamagotchi!

I collect tamagotchis (my collection isnt that big) and I love just ripping them out of the box as soon as I get them,however,I do this knowing I will never sell them.Im going to get an angelgotchi still in its box,and im going to keep that box just because its so old.

so if I was you I would open the box if I knew I wasnt going to keep it but I would still keep the box.

hope this helped. :p

I just bought a limited edition tamagotchi chibi from jason's store on ebay. I'm going to rip the package opened when it gets here, limited edition or not. I want to play with a tamagotchi chibi, and that's what I ordered it for.

I do not collect tamas to make money later, so I would play it. I would love to have a Devilgotchi and a Santa someday, but I just cannot see the sense in spending money on something like that. Besides, the newer tamagotchis give you more entertainment. :mellow:

I'd definitely play with it if I were you :nyatchi:

Sounds awesome. I wish I had one! (I used to, but my mom got rid of it cause I was too little when I first got it :( )

You're so lucky to have a V1! I've always wanted a V1, but I was only 3 when they came out, so of course I didn't get one. My first Tama was a V3 and I still play it because it's a lot like the older ones, the only thing different is you get to shop and play games. I think the newer ones are a waste of technology, because all I'm looking for is a Tama where you just need to worry about taking care of it like V1, V2, and of course my V3.

I'm very glad you decided to play with it! =D When I'm older and I get like a prepaid credit card or something, I'm going straight to ebay to buy my own V1. :wacko:

i'm never buying a tama unless i intend to play with it! that's the whole point for me! even if it was the rarest design or whatever. seriously, they were meant to be played with, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back