- - - - -

The future of TamaCHAT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:53 PM ( #1 )

Heya everyone!
I wanted to post to let everyone know some of what is going on with our chat room... The current chat room uses a company's service to keep everything running smoothly. Unfortunately, I can not afford to renew the contract with them when it expires next month. The service costs $125 for a year... I have been experimenting over the past month with bringing back the old chat room in its place? Why the old chat room? The old system was replaced because it had some bugs that slowed down the server. These bugs made it worth moving to the paid service. Unfortunately, money is tight right now... I just can't afford to renew it. Instead, I have been working to see if I can overcome the old bugs and figure out a way to keep chat going for everyone to use. I know there are other free chat rooms and stuff available... But those free ones don't let us use the TamaTalk accounts to make logging in easier (and to make banning problem people easier too!). It is a trade-off... Lots of you said chat is pretty important to you so it is something to keep that going. Hopefully it will keep getting better as I work on bugs and kinks and stuff.

What I would love is if you chatters will use the new flash chat system and post any bugs, problems, suggestions and comments here. Your input is important! We only have a little bit of time left with the old chat and I'd like to work out as many problems as possible ahead of time! :P

You can check out the beta chat here.

Thanks.

Admin

Replies

Views

Started

12 Mar 2009

Last Post

03 May 2009

Tamagotchi-4-Life

• tamagotchi-4-life user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:56 AM ( #2 )

I tested out the tamaCHAT that you linked onto the post. I really love that one better and I think it is cooler than the one that we have now (no offence).

RawrBabyRawr Its Desiree=]

• rawrbabyrawr-its-desiree user photo

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:47 PM ( #3 )

Heyy I was there when you first showed us the new chat when you came on the tamachat and when you showed it to us and i was messing around with the sound then i logged off and the next day i could not lower the sound soo a lot of people dont like that part and we wanted to know if you could put back up the options thing and also people were saying they want the smiley face that i have next to my name sooo... Just an idea:]

FireCracker

• firecracker user photo

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:55 PM ( #4 )

i like the current one better

shs415

• shs415 user photo

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:02 PM ( #5 )

I do too, but if there's no money for the current TC...
Maybe next year we'll have this TC again?

.Kira.

• kira user photo

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:00 PM ( #6 )

The sound option. i would like to be able to lower the sound

;.;LEEWhit;.;

• ;;leewhit;; user photo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:33 AM ( #7 )

If we could change the background of the Beta chat, it'd be great, because hardly any colours can be seen on it. But it's faster than the current TC for me, but the sound is really annoying. The smilies are better than the current TC, and you can actually say lol without have to put a load stuff in it to keep it from going to the smiley. It lags a bit after a while (beta chat), but that could just be this computer.

x.Cant//Knit.x

• xcantknitx user photo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:40 AM ( #8 )

Hm, its okay I guess.
I'm glad you can actually keep a type of chat :D

♣Tama♣

• &-9827;tama&-9827; user photo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:23 AM ( #9 )

it is a good chat

BlueMametchi

• bluemametchi user photo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:08 PM ( #10 )

I like this. Rather laggy at times, but I can put up with that. I have to say, we do need a new background.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:07 PM ( #11 )

Being able to adjust the sound levels and also the background colour seem to be the most frequently mentioned problem that members have mentioned to me in this test chat.

Other than that (and the usual complaints about how they like the other chat better... :angry: ) it's actually difficult to get members to specifically describe what it is they don't like.
It seems a lot of them just don't have the patience to test out the chat and try out the changes.

Having said that - there are plenty who do and are getting along fine (apart from the aforementioned sound and background).

KitKatC

• kitkatc user photo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:41 PM ( #12 )

How to change your Room List avatar (the one that comes up next to your name on the list of people in the room:

- Click on the options button on the toolbar above the text box.
- Click the tab that says 'Effects'
- Choose from the range of emoticons

How to change your Main Chat avatar (the one that comes up when you say something):

- The same as ^above

Mametchi-Lover

• mametchi-lover user photo

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:02 PM ( #13 )

Every time someone changes rooms or logs in, it says undefined on my screen

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:10 AM ( #14 )

Every time someone changes rooms or logs in, it says undefined on my screen

I noticed that too.

I think the main reason I don't like it is the memories of it from when we had it(an older version?) before. I remember the lagging and random booting, and that just turns me off the idea of using it.
If this is a newer version, I'm hoping they at least fixed that, because that's the main reason I don't/didn't like it.

The only other concern I have which has been mentioned is the background color.

In all it makes me wish I was still getting a paycheck -.- I'd be willing to pay at least half the cost of the one we've been using.

;.;LEEWhit;.;

• ;;leewhit;; user photo

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:57 AM ( #15 )

Okay, now options shows up, and I've changed the background and muted and everything, I really like this chat. I just hope it doesn't lag. So far it's not lagging me, so far so good for me =P

TamaChiMe

• tamachime user photo

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:11 AM ( #16 )

It's a nice chat. Not awesome, but it's nice. No Tamagotchi emoticons? Heh, j/k. I'll be going back there soon.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:34 AM ( #17 )

I spent a good chunk of time working on chat yesterday... I created a new "look" for the chat which has a darker background (you might have to go into Options -> Themes and select 'TamaChat' from the menu to see it if you don't already). I also re-enabled all the options for muting and customizing the backgrounds/themes. I'd love to hear if this helps make a difference.

This is a newer version of what we used before... There are still some bugs I need to figure out (like the undefined messages).

I do remember that when we first switched from the old chat to the java one that a lot of people said they liked the old one better... It's funny to see the reverse now. :D Please give it a chance and post if you have any problems. I'd rather have a chat with some small quirks than none at all. Lets see which quirks we can squash. :D

Cinderpelt

• cinderpelt user photo
  • Group: Retired TamaTalk Guides

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:34 AM ( #18 )

I actually really like the new chat. :D

Sure, I'm really going to miss the old chat, just because it's the one I'm used to. But I love the 'new' features of this chat. Being able to change your 'avatar', the background, the sound levels, the skin; the way you can save the conversations... I really like it.

It does seem to lag a bit more, but so far, it hasn't been much of a problem for me.

The only other issue is what others have already said - it comes up as, "undefined" when someone logs in or logs out.

So, I'm okay with this chat, all in all. Maybe next year we can afford to bring back the old chat. :D

EDIT: Admin posted at the same time I did. xD Thanks Admin. I really like this new chat, and I agree. Rather this than nothing, anyday. And I do like this chat more than the old one, in some aspects.

Edited by Cinderpelt, 15 March 2009 - 08:36 AM.

Nix.

• nix user photo

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:19 PM ( #19 )

I find it quite good, actually. I must admit, I was a bit, "Woah, this is strange." At first, but now I'm used to it, I'm liking it.

I have a few problems:
- The "undefined" When someone leaves/enters
- If I press the arrow keys to correct a problem that I've typed, it deletes the whole thing.
- I got a message, something like, "You kiss your mother with that mouth? Cussing is not allowed and you've been doing it too much. Banned for 1 hour." I was still in the chat, and no moderators were in. I wasn't actually on the chat, I was browsing youtube at the time.

Other than those 3 things, everything's going smoothly.

Mothra

• mothra user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:57 AM ( #20 )

I like it! I remember a chat like that from quite a while ago.

The ONLY thing I don't like is that when someone says my name, I don't get the KooKoo telling me someone wants my attention. Oh well. I can live with that.