Photo
- - - - -

Searching some guidance here..

• Please log in to reply

KERFUFFLE

• kerfuffle user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:47 AM ( #1 )

Okay, so anyway, for my Music GCSE I'm required to compose two pieces of music, and though I'm not sure about the other piece, I do know that for one piece, I'd like to write a song (as in, you know, with words and whatnot).
Thing is, I have absolutely no idea where to start when writing the words for a song. Whether I should make notes, or what I should look for for inspiration.

I'm looking for a bit of help on this, obviously not for you to write it for me, or give me lines. Just tips, because I know there are some really talented writers here.

Would be much appreciated (:

Replies

Views

Started

10 Sep 2009

Last Post

18 Sep 2009

Penguins.

• penguins user photo

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:43 PM ( #2 )

Tarryn--when I write my songs (I have them Everywhere, I just don't share here) it usually kind of comes. Mostly when I'm insanely happy or incredibly annoyed.

Like I get a line or two and I kind of go off that. Or you could write about a past event--something you'll never forget.

You could try that for inspiration. I'm probably not much help, but I don't know--words come to me naturally.

Sometimes, when I have writer's block, I sit there with a pen and paper and write down what I want to work with. Any random phrases or interesting lines floating in my head.
But most importantly--write a song about something you can relate too.

LOVE.

• love user photo

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:25 PM ( #3 )

^ Whatshesaid.

Don't try and write about something you don't know about. Like, my this girl in my class wrote a song about this guy not being The One, blahblahblah. It was incredibly good, amazingly good in fact, she's a very talented singer and has eithe done Grade 5 piano and doing theory or something, or is doing Grade 5.
But it din't sound right. From what I know, she's had one boyfriend in the past 2 years, for like, 2 weeks. Let me remind you, she's twelve. There's no One person happening right now. :/
It's a song I think Rihanna would have sung brilliantly. <3

Butyeah. It really didn't go well. So only

write a song about something you can relate to.

I dunno if it's just me, but I can tell when what the person is singing about - however well and brilliantly - is nothing to what they've ever felt.