Searching some guidance here..

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KERFUFFLE

Reaction score
Okay, so anyway, for my Music GCSE I'm required to compose two pieces of music, and though I'm not sure about the other piece, I do know that for one piece, I'd like to write a song (as in, you know, with words and whatnot).

Thing is, I have absolutely no idea where to start when writing the words for a song. Whether I should make notes, or what I should look for for inspiration.

I'm looking for a bit of help on this, obviously not for you to write it for me, or give me lines. Just tips, because I know there are some really talented writers here.

Would be much appreciated :)

Tarryn--when I write my songs (I have them Everywhere, I just don't share here) it usually kind of comes. Mostly when I'm insanely happy or incredibly annoyed.

Like I get a line or two and I kind of go off that. Or you could write about a past event--something you'll never forget.

You could try that for inspiration. I'm probably not much help, but I don't know--words come to me naturally.

Sometimes, when I have writer's block, I sit there with a pen and paper and write down what I want to work with. Any random phrases or interesting lines floating in my head.

But most importantly--write a song about something you can relate too.

^ Whatshesaid.

Don't try and write about something you don't know about. Like, my this girl in my class wrote a song about this guy not being The One, blahblahblah. It was incredibly good, amazingly good in fact, she's a very talented singer and has eithe done Grade 5 piano and doing theory or something, or is doing Grade 5.

But it din't sound right. From what I know, she's had one boyfriend in the past 2 years, for like, 2 weeks. Let me remind you, she's twelve. There's no One person happening right now. :/

It's a song I think Rihanna would have sung brilliantly. <3

Butyeah. It really didn't go well. So only

write a song about something you can relate to.
I dunno if it's just me, but I can tell when what the person is singing about - however well and brilliantly - is nothing to what they've ever felt.

Latest posts

Back