Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Favorite Ancestor Tamagotchi...

• Please log in to reply

Poll: What is your favorite ancestor Tamagotchi? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:35 PM ( #35 )

So true, OST!!! Might as well get as many vintage Tamas as you can.

I know I am. :) I'm getting pretty much one of each of the vintages, at least. Better get them before prices go up even higher or before they become even more rare.

*mimitchi*

• mimitchi user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:58 PM ( #36 )

*facepalm*! I can't believe I didn't remember this ancestor section was here. :furawatchi:

Anyway, I like staying simple and original, so I'm gonna say the P2. I don't mind the P1 either, but the P2 has some of my favorite characters on it, including Mimitchi! :huh: I really want some more ancestors, and I'm working on getting some. The only other one I've had the pleasure of playing with is my yellow Angel, which the first time I played with it, I managed to get Futagotenshi! Boy was I excited. xD

OldSchoolTama

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:36 PM ( #37 )

*facepalm*! I can't believe I didn't remember this ancestor section was here. :D

Anyway, I like staying simple and original, so I'm gonna say the P2. I don't mind the P1 either, but the P2 has some of my favorite characters on it, including Mimitchi! :P I really want some more ancestors, and I'm working on getting some. The only other one I've had the pleasure of playing with is my yellow Angel, which the first time I played with it, I managed to get Futagotenshi! Boy was I excited. xD

Awww. B) Poor ancestors not getting any love or being overlooked. It's all good, we all come back to our roots in the end. :) I'll always have a soft spot for the P2, as it was my first Tamagotchi, so I definitely know what you mean. I favor the P2 over the P1 as well, mostly because of Mimitchi. :mellow: ;) I hope you are able to get more vintage Tamagotchis. They're great fun!

smarkleymarkles

• smarkleymarkles user photo

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:51 PM ( #38 )

I'm 25 now, so I was all up ons the p1 and p2 tamagotchis when they first came out. I loved the excitement of fishing around and checking out all of the different colors in the Toys R Us bins. My very first, and thus my favorite, was a clear magenta p1 that I have going right now. (However, I neglected it while at a work party and now it's the duck-headed, snake-bodied guy. Oops.)

I really love both p1 and p2 the best, and of those, the clear colors are my favorite. I'm starting to collect again and only now discovering some of the other non-us varients. I would like to own an osu/mesu pair, especially the clear/smoke.

I have an angel, but I never really got into it. It seemed "cheap" to me at the time because it couldn't "die", really. I also had giga pets, but never had a digimon, which I would love to give a try these days.

I also like how petite and portable the original gotchis are. They fit nicely in your hand, and aren't too enormous hanging from a chain or in your pocket. (Try taking a Tama-Go anywhere. I think Tama-Stay is much more apt. Ugh...so terrible.)

OldSchoolTama

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:36 PM ( #39 )

I'm 25 now, so I was all up ons the p1 and p2 tamagotchis when they first came out. I loved the excitement of fishing around and checking out all of the different colors in the Toys R Us bins. My very first, and thus my favorite, was a clear magenta p1 that I have going right now. (However, I neglected it while at a work party and now it's the duck-headed, snake-bodied guy. Oops.)

I really love both p1 and p2 the best, and of those, the clear colors are my favorite. I'm starting to collect again and only now discovering some of the other non-us varients. I would like to own an osu/mesu pair, especially the clear/smoke.

I have an angel, but I never really got into it. It seemed "cheap" to me at the time because it couldn't "die", really. I also had giga pets, but never had a digimon, which I would love to give a try these days.

I also like how petite and portable the original gotchis are. They fit nicely in your hand, and aren't too enormous hanging from a chain or in your pocket. (Try taking a Tama-Go anywhere. I think Tama-Stay is much more apt. Ugh...so terrible.)

I'm in my early 20s as well and grew up with the vintage Tamagotchis. :huh: I will always have a soft spot for the P2s, especially. You're like me, I like collecting the translucent/transparent designs the best. I'm glad you mention the Osu/Mesu (I have the clear/smoky pair as well) and I highly recommend them. Hehe, "Tama-Stay," clever. :huh: I definitely feel the same way about the size of the newer Tamagotchis (the vintage Tamagotchis are so cute), but I think once you get over that a bit, they turn out to be quite fun.

smarkleymarkles

• smarkleymarkles user photo

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:48 PM ( #40 )

Well, The Tama-Go is unappealing for several reasons aside from its size. The figures seem like a really awkward addition and not really in the spirit of the former new tamagotchis. It means that you have to buy several seven-dollar figures to get the games that should have already been included in the original unit. Also, the tama iD and Tama +C's look awesome! Why can't we have an American version of that? We know it's possible, it's been done in Japan; so why the several gray values? I think the screen looks muddy, from what I've seen. Yeah the id's are expensive, but so is a Tama-Go if you buy the figures for it. I think it's way more appealing to be able to download new content form internet or phone than a figure.

Just my two cents on that though, of course! I just feel like tamagotchis should always be portable and have something of a simplicity to them. I like the tamagotchi connection, but not really the music star that much. It's okay, but it gets a little gimmicky.

Yeah, I'd love that osu/mesu pair! Too bad they're pretty expensive and tough to find. I'm almost half tempted to get an id... maybe for my birthday...

OldSchoolTama

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:37 PM ( #41 )

I know what you mean. When you factor in how many figures are going to be released, it's going to get expensive pretty fast. I'm really glad Bandai came out with the +C and ID (though I haven't gotten the latter yet). Sure, we all wish that it could be released here but I can't see many Americans (at least when compared to the Japanese and their market) shelling out over $50 for one Tamagotchi. I'm glad it's at least available online for purchase. As for the Osu/Mesu, have you tried looking on Ebay? They're there all the time. They're not as expensive or elusive as some of the more rarer vintage Tamagotchis. Also, with a lot of the vintage Tamagotchis, as long as you're patient when looking on Ebay, you're bound to find what you want eventually. It took me a few months to find my blue/smoky pair and I got them for $15-16, including shipping. So you never know!

PretzelNymph

• pretzelnymph user photo

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:05 PM ( #42 )

Well I voted for the tamagotchi angel ;) I don't currently have any vintage tamagotchis, but if all goes well I should have a pink angel headed my way today ;)
I also have seen screenshots and reviews about the mothra, and I want it SUPER BAD! But ebay and amazon are empty so I suppose I will have to wait.
My first tama was a p1 when they first came out- I think I killed it an average of once every other day :0

OldSchoolTama

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:54 AM ( #43 )

Well I voted for the tamagotchi angel :nyatchi: I don't currently have any vintage tamagotchis, but if all goes well I should have a pink angel headed my way today :chohimetchi:
I also have seen screenshots and reviews about the mothra, and I want it SUPER BAD! But ebay and amazon are empty so I suppose I will have to wait.
My first tama was a p1 when they first came out- I think I killed it an average of once every other day :0

That's great news! Angels are always nice to have. They're really low-maintenance and the animations are so cute. Keep trying on Ebay for the Mothra (they probably will never be on Amazon)! Those are neat as well.

kit530

• kit530 user photo

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:31 PM ( #44 )

An update for you guys: just got a Devilgotchi for $70! I'm liking it so far, quickly becoming a favorite. :) Next on my list of Tamagotchi purchases: a Santagotchi.

I was wondering how you found a Devilgotchi? I've been searching and searching on Ebay for the past month and haven't seen one.

OldSchoolTama

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:15 PM ( #45 )

I was wondering how you found a Devilgotchi? I've been searching and searching on Ebay for the past month and haven't seen one.

I bought it through a private seller. Keep trying on Ebay! They're bound to turn up. :)

kit530

• kit530 user photo

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:41 PM ( #46 )

I bought it through a private seller. Keep trying on Ebay! They're bound to turn up. :)

Thanks and if you find one randomly let me know :)

OldSchoolTama

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:34 PM ( #47 )

Thanks and if you find one randomly let me know :)

Sure thing! :) Also, you could save a search for "Devilgotchi/Devilgotch/Tamagotchi Devil" (I like to use various combinations to get more results) on Ebay, so you don't have to be looking day after day. An e-mail will be sent to you when it becomes available!

Stu_Dee_Jay

• stu-dee-jay user photo

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:37 PM ( #48 )

I've been a big Tamagotchi fan right from the beginning, so it should be easy to understand when I say that I'm most fond of the P1. Mametchi, Kuchipatchi and Tamatchi are my favourite creatures, and I'm extremely fond of the massive range of designs they released for both the P1 and the P2. I originally started with a P2, after being sold a P2 instead of a P1 by my local Toys 'R' Us. The Tamagotchi was impossible to get hold of at that time, so I was delighted just to have one. I later picked up a P1, followed by the Angel and the first three versions of the Digimon.

I have to say that of all the English releases I've played, the Tamagotchi Angel is my least favourite. The casing looked a bit cheap when compared to the P1 and P2 models, and the casing designs themselves looked like they were marketed exclusively towards girls. I also thought that the background artwork diluted the contrast of the screen, making it much harder to see your Tamagotchi. I haven't played with my Angel since shortly after it was released, so it'll be interesting to go back to it and see what I think of it today.

I'm currently running a clear magenta P1 with yellow buttons, and I have a sixteen year old Mametchi. I've recently acquired some of the more unusual Tamagotchi models, including the Genjitch, Morino, Ocean (American), Mothra, Dr. Slump, American Chibis and many Japanese P1 models. I have my eyes open for a Devilgotchi, Doraemon, Japanese P2 Sl and S2's, and the Osu/Mesu pairs, but I'm mainly waiting for payday next week when I intend to get a pair of Santaclautchis in time for Christmas.

PretzelNymph

• pretzelnymph user photo

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:37 PM ( #49 )

@stu_dee_jay ooohhhh santaclautchis! I'd love to get my hands on one of those! Good hunting ;)
For the longest time I thought my first Tama was a p1, and I recently ordered an exact copy, and it ends up I had a p2. *loses tamagotchi street cred* are there any other differences in the 2 besides the characters? I would have never noticed had I not compared the growth charts.

OldSchoolTama

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:18 AM ( #50 )

@stu_dee_jay ooohhhh santaclautchis! I'd love to get my hands on one of those! Good hunting ;)
For the longest time I thought my first Tama was a p1, and I recently ordered an exact copy, and it ends up I had a p2. *loses tamagotchi street cred* are there any other differences in the 2 besides the characters? I would have never noticed had I not compared the growth charts.

Great question! Well, for starters, P1s usually don't say "Tamagotchi" on the egg. If you buy online and it comes with the box, the color of the box is usually purple and pink for a P1 and blue and pink for the P2. Sometimes the seller provides pictures of the box with the flap opened up. If you see Kutchipatchi on the plastic covering, right over where the Tamagotchi's screen should be, it's a P1. If you see his P2 counterpart, Hashizotchi (looks a lot like a duck), it's a P2. Speaking of packaging and stuff, lets say you buy a Japanese P1 or P2. Those typically don't come in boxes, but on cards, like this. If the seller doesn't list it as P1 or P2, you can still tell, again, by the character on the plastic cover. There are other subtle differences between the two as well, but rather than going on and on about them (which I probably would :P), I'd rather show you this amazing site that I've been visiting for years. If you click on FAQ, it'll provide you the answer to your very question, in a more succinct manner than I can deliver it. :) The Tips section is pretty helpful too.

@stu_dee_jay: getting a Santagotchi would be awesome! I think that's the last of the vintages on my wish-list. They're pricey though, typically around $200 on Ebay. I might try my hand at Yahoo Japan auctions someday and see how that goes.

Stu_Dee_Jay

• stu-dee-jay user photo

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:36 AM ( #51 )

The easiest way to tell a P1 from a P2 is the background of the Tamagotchi screen. It's a wavy sort of chequerboard on the P1, and a series of circular swirls in the P2 (both patterns are alternated in blue and yellow). Western P2s also exchanged the needle icon to a medicine bottle and spoon, I believe. If you're actually running the Tamagotchi, the most obvious difference is the game you play: it's a simple game of left and right on the P1 and a numbers game on the P2.

I can't wait to try the Santaclautchi, though my wallet is still recovering from purchasing a Tamagotchi Ocean. I reckon the Morino will be the next one I un-tab. Exciting times!