- - - - -

Literary Classics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• goggle-face user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:29 PM ( #52 )

Does "Misery" count as a classic?

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:37 AM ( #53 )

Hm, my favorite classics are probably all the ones we read last year in english class. These were: The Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, Great Expectations, Romeo and Juliet, and The Odyssey. The Lord of the Flies is DEFINATELY my favorite out of these. I just like the messages and symbolism in it, and once you understand it, it's a huge "AHA!" moment.

A lot of the classics I like right now are also a result of having read them in high school. :) The ones you listed are among my favorites. Especially Dickens, can't get enough of his works.

The only classic I can remember that I LOVED reading was The Secret Garden. :)

I have this book! I loved reading it as well.

Does "Misery" count as a classic?

Hmm...that's a good question. Stephen King, right? Well, I'm not one to determine which ones are or aren't classics, but I'll refer you to a post I made in this topic a couple of days ago that might help you out:

I personally loved Lord of the Flies as well. I had no idea a considerable amount of people don't really enjoy it. To each his own though! Regarding A Clockwork Orange: that's a good question. I've always wondered about classics and what makes them so. I think it has to do with a lot of things. Literary classics transcend time and space. In other words, their stories are of lasting interest and they do so to all sorts of readers. I don't want to say there's a "time minimum" for a work to become a classic, but since classics usually are characterized by lasting readability, most books considered to be classics have been around for at least 50 years or so. Themes should be universal to a good extent and the books often have characters to which many people can relate. It should have a well-developed plot. Popularity and genre don't have anything to do with it. If you feel that some of these apply to your book, it probably is a classic (or will be someday :)). Whether or not a book is considered to be a literary classic, I'd definitely dive into it anyway!