Removing Stripped Screws?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marierock13

Reaction score
After reading several laments on the dangers of corroded batteries and their potential to destroy Tamagotchis, I decided to go through my collection and remove the batteries from the units with which I was not actively playing. Unfortunately, when I tried to remove the two tiny screws securing the battery door on my P1 Tama, I ran into difficulty. One screw came out easily, but the other was stuck badly. I tried for several minutes to remove it, but the screwdriver kept skipping out of the groove. What I didn't realize was that each time this happened, it chipped away at the soft metal of the screw. Now, the grove is almost completely worn away, and none of my screwdrivers can find any traction.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should go about trying to remove this screw? It seems to be stuck fast, and the groove is too worn down (thanks to my own foolishness) to use a conventional screwdriver.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, but preferably those which do not put the Tamagotchi at serious risk of being damaged - I rather love my P1 and don't want to inadvertently destroy it with power tools.

Thanks in advance.

~Marierock13

After reading several laments on the dangers of corroded batteries and their potential to destroy Tamagotchis, I decided to go through my collection and remove the batteries from the units with which I was not actively playing. Unfortunately, when I tried to remove the two tiny screws securing the battery door on my P1 Tama, I ran into difficulty. One screw came out easily, but the other was stuck badly. I tried for several minutes to remove it, but the screwdriver kept skipping out of the groove. What I didn't realize was that each time this happened, it chipped away at the soft metal of the screw. Now, the grove is almost completely worn away, and none of my screwdrivers can find any traction.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should go about trying to remove this screw? It seems to be stuck fast, and the groove is too worn down (thanks to my own foolishness) to use a conventional screwdriver.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, but preferably those which do not put the Tamagotchi at serious risk of being damaged - I rather love my P1 and don't want to inadvertently destroy it with power tools.

Thanks in advance.

~Marierock13
i used butter it works i put it on my p1 tamagotchi and it wroked u just need to wait a little to mealt the butter and there

I had the same problem with my v1. From what I've read online its also due to corrosion. I used an electric drill and pressed very hard. The screws are a little worn so from now on I don't quite screw them in all the way, leaving just enough room that the back stays on but if I need to I can easily remove it again.

Also, I've heard WD40 works as well.

Well, you could try to put just a drop of nail polish in the screw, then push down on it with the screwdriver so that there is left a mark of the screwdriwer, let the nail polish harden, and then do the butter idea too! I haven't tried this myself, but why not try it? :furawatchi:

You can take it to your local Jewler and he could probably remove it. :D
ah, that's a great idea!! it would be funny to see their expression though...

I recommend actually GLUE-ing your scredriver into the screw with super glue. Let it dry. Make sure its fully dry... Then twist. Then hope it turns when you add pressure to the screw. Turn it with force and hope it is enough.

Then take the screw off the screwdriver... Toss it and go get a cheap flunky digital pet or a glasses repair kit. (They both tend to have the same size screws inside them that you can use for the Tama.)

If it seems to loosen it but not remove it... You can use WD40... (Auto Cleaner) to loosen the screw. Then turn it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the jeweler idea.

I would definitely not recommend slathering your Tama in butter or gluing a screwdriver to it. Just take it to a jeweler and tell them to remove the screw and replace it. It should be very inexpensive and you'll have a new screw with an actual groove to use from then on. Just be sure not to tighten them as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back