Furby Myths

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyDreams7

Reaction score
I've been reading some of the threads on this board, and there seems to be a lot of misinformation going around. I'd like to clear some things up.

Furbys are not recording devices.

They cannot record or playback words or sounds that they hear.

The original Furbys can't even understand what they are hearing, they only recognise the volume of the sound.

2005 Furbys only recognise a handful of pre-programmed "commands" like "sing me a song" or "tell me a story".

The whole "Furbys were banned from government offices because they could record secret meetings" thing is an urban legend.

Please watch this episode from an Urband Legends show for the whole story. It also gives some good information on how Furby works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLwk_Px1ryA

Also, Furbys can only speak the limited things that they were programmed to speak.

Anyone who claims otherwise is:

mistaken (A glitchy/broken Furby might make strange sounds. People often mistake the Furby language "Furbish" for other things. Example: My cat's name is Koko. The Furbish word for "again" is Koh-Koh. Furby is not talking about my cat, it is just a coincidence.)

hallucinating (If Furby wakes you up in the middle of the night and starts talking, what you hear might be distorted due to sleepiness... or you could just still be dreaming)

or

lying (example: "I am going to kill all of you!" is not possible for a Furby to ever say.)

Furby is not "demonic". It is just an electronic toy much like a Dinkie Dino, Tamagotchi or Giga Pet... Except in physical form without a screen. If you truly have experienced your Furby emitting scary sounds (screeching, beeping, "screaming", talking slowly with a deep voice, buzzing, etc.) it is certainly because there is something going wrong with your Furby, such as a glitch, jammed gears, jammed motor... or you dropped it and the electronics are messed up and Furby's chip is glitchy. (much like how a Tamagotchi can get scrambled and broken if you drop it)

I hope this helped clear the myths. If you have any questions, please ask!

This mostly applies to the original Furbys and Furby Babies. I am not quite as familiar with the 2005 Furbys.

Jeeze. THANK YOU. That covers everything I was hoping someone would.

In Additon to what you said... In Short.

Furbies like screeching. They sometimes catch on fire.

This doesn't make them demonic... Just creepy in the sense they can do that.

Actually, it would be extremely rare for a Furby to catch on fire on its own.

If the gears/levers inside Furby (the things that animate the eyes/mouth/ears) become jammed, it can cause Furby to get "stuck" which might make it start buzzing or screeching. It will also strain the motor and if it is left jammed for too long, could cause the motor to burn itself out. A stressed/burning out motor will emit smoke. (but not fire)

--

I also forgot to mention that a Furby can store backup power.

So if you remove the batteries from your Furby and it continues to move and talk and etc., it is not posessed, it is just running on that stored battery power. (which will eventually run out if you leave it alone)

If you badly want your Furby to stop talking, don't throw it at the wall or in a pool or something stuipidly damaging, just make it go to sleep. (which can simply be done in the following ways:)

-1- Loud sound x3, pet. When it starts singing, hold down the tummy and back(petting) sensors until it stops. It should go to sleep. (doesn't work for the first generation Furbys)

-2- Cover its eyes, or leave in a dark room. Furby will think it is night time, and will fall asleep.

-3- Leave it alone. It will fall asleep after about a minute of being left alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well of course they can break. Any electronic device can break, especially if it's old and worn out from use.

Furbys are old, they were made back in 1999. That's 11 years of play, use, abuse, storage or who-knows-what. XD

I recently recieved a brand new (bumblebee) Furby that was mint in the box and had never been opened or removed. (That's him in my profile pic) He had problems from the moment I stuck the new batteries inside.

After some persuasion - he finally started up. His gears are really loud, he goes out of sync, and he has a loose beak. XD

Depending on what's wrong with it, there might be a way to fix your broken/malfunctioning Furby. Sometimes it requires removing the fur and opening the Furby so you can poke around its gears. In that case, I reccomend researching and looking online for a guide on how to successfully "operate" on your Furby.

Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to save a Furby whose motor has died, though.

Scary video!!!!!! Lol. I exited when it showed the open door *shakes*. I love furbies though so dont get me wrong :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back