Photo
- - - - -

The TamaTalk Upgrade Fundraiser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:01 PM ( #1 )

Hello TamaTalkers!
There has been a discussion (in this topic) about the future of TamaTalk. One of the things I keep seeing in the Suggestions forum are great ideas and cool things that would be neat to have on TamaTalk. The problem for me with most of these is that the software TamaTalk runs on is really old... The last time the software was updated by Invision as 2003 which makes the software older than even TamaTalk itself. Think about the way websites used to be that many years ago and you get an idea of how much things have changed. I have been exploring options and one has been to upgrade the software for TamaTalk. This upgrade would leave all of the forums, posts and members exactly as they are but give us lots of nice new features and tools to keep the site humming along past our 10th birthday and beyond (read more about other TamaTalkers testing the new version of the software in this topic).

What are the improvements in the new software? There are TONS! Some of these are:
-mobile version of the site (and an iPhone/iPod Touch app version of the site)
-profile page messaging that lets people leave messages on your profile page (and you can post back to them and have conversations and stuff on your profile)
-profile pages also have status and activity updates that let you easily see what your friends are doing on the site
-a better photo gallery
-better chat
-easy posting of stuff like YouTube videos and pictures to forums and messages
-ability to ignore a user and have none of their posts or anything ever show up for you
-ability to change your username
-better tools to control/prevent/get rid of spammers

See the demo now

It will take some work but I am up for it... All sounds good, right? Well there is one problem. The new software costs a good amount of money to purchase. I figure it would cost $224 for the new forum, photo gallery and a new chat system. I find it hard to move forward making that purchase because money is already tight for me (as I'm sure it is for many others here).

So the idea is to to have a TamaTalk upgrade fundraiser. I am asking for some help in raising the money to update TamaTalk. Here is a good chance to invest in the community's future. This isn't like the Angelgotchi program where you can pay one of two different prices. For this I am asking for donations of any amount that you can spare. Have $1 in your Paypal account? That helps. Have $5 to spare? That helps too! Anything you can spare will be greatly appreciated. Don't live in the United States and want to help? You can! Paypal accepts lots of different money types and it automagically converts it to US dollars! Nobody is being forced to donate here. If you can't spare some money then I still love ya all the same. :unsure:

If you are in the USA and want to send cash (or money order) then please send it to the TT PO Box:
TamaTalk
P.O. Box 40338
Austin, TX 78704

I have set up a new widget on the sidebar from ChipIn.com. This widget will keep track of the amount we've raised so far.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and questions about this.

Hopefully with your help we can see a new and better TamaTalk in the near future!

UPDATE #1: Want to donate with a credit card but don't/can't use Paypal? PM me for another option.

UPDATE #2: Also, for the fundraiser you can donate towards an upgrade and receive Angelgotchi credit at the same time. You can help us upgrade + get the badge and extra PM space for yourself at the same time! Make your $5 or $10 donation either through the ChipIn widget or at the Angelgotchi page and then PM me to get credit.

Edited by Admin, 18 September 2010 - 10:57 AM.

Replies

Views

Started

01 Sep 2010

Last Post

03 Oct 2010

.:M@TT:.

• mtt user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:19 PM ( #2 )

That heps.

Lawl, A Typo!
oops sorry

Anyway I can probably help pretty soon! I need to find a job, then I'll be ready!

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:31 PM ( #3 )

Lawl, A Typo!
oops sorry

Doh! I didm't meann to misspll anythig. Srry!

SugaryGoesRAWR

• sugarygoesrawr user photo

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:32 PM ( #4 )

Hmm. Sorry Admin, I don't think I'll be able to help. I'm not really sure that I'm allowed ):

What would the improvements be?

.:M@TT:.

• mtt user photo

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:48 AM ( #5 )

Doh! I didm't meann to misspll anythig.  Srry!

Eet's Finne XD (More Typos)

Like I said I need to find a job, then I'll make some Money and give some to tamatalk!

Edited by .:M@TT:., 02 September 2010 - 08:50 AM.

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:28 AM ( #6 )

I would LOVE to chip in! But alas... currently broke...

What do you plan on upgrading to? Is it an actual program?

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:21 AM ( #7 )

It is an actual program that runs on the TT server. The program is what makes the site show up, handles accounts, handles posts, search and more. So it is not a software program like you may be used to on your computer... But, yes, it is still a program of sorts. :) (that's not very clear is it? lol)

What are the improvements? There are TONS! Some of these are:
-mobile version of the site (and an iPhone/iPod Touch app version of the site)
-profile page messaging that lets people leave messages on your profile page (and you can post back to them and have conversations and stuff on your profile)
-profile pages also have status and activity updates that let you easily see what your friends are doing on the site
-a better photo gallery
-better chat
-easy posting of stuff like YouTube videos and images
-ability to ignore a user and have none of their posts or anything ever show up for you
-ability to change your username
-better tools to control/prevent/get rid of spammers

For me there are also concerns with the future as the software getting so old that we will reach a point where it may stop working as the server is updated for security reasons.

SailorRosette

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:15 PM ( #8 )

That sounds pretty cool!

If you can avoid Captcha... I would... Different system might be good, the overflow thing works fairly well.

The mobile would be sweet! I can't log-in since I have a LGRumor2.... Not wide enough. I would hope it would be able to support lower ended cell phones. (Flip, Slides and of corse the Smart Phones out there)

About the name changes... Could you add a " X days old" type of thing? Otherwise I think some people here would change their screen names often. Or atleast have a "Formally ___user__" In thier profile?

Activity watching? Like where they are, what they are doing (Auto?) Or would it be something like a status you can edit yourself?

Then the Status part of it...? Like a user Rank? Like based on your posts? Or once again one you can edit yourself?

This is just me spilling out ideas that might bring more ideas.... Random questions...ETC.....

Edited by SailorRosette, 02 September 2010 - 12:15 PM.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:28 PM ( #9 )

The mobile would be sweet! I can't log-in since I have a LGRumor2.... Not wide enough. I would hope it would be able to support lower ended cell phones. (Flip, Slides and of corse the Smart Phones out there)

It gives a mobile version that would totally work on lower end phones (and even dial-up internet users). It basically strips it down to the basics so that it downloads and displays fast )which is exactly what those phones need). But it still lets you post and such from your phone.

About the name changes... Could you add a " X days old" type of thing? Otherwise I think some people here would change their screen names often. Or atleast have a "Formally ___user__" In thier profile?

The profile page has a link for name history. The system lets you change names xx number of times every 30 days (or whatever it is configured by me to be). I agree that we want to avoid hundreds of name changes since it gets confusing.

Activity watching? Like where they are, what they are doing (Auto?) Or would it be something like a status you can edit yourself?

Activity watching list what your latest posts are and stuff. But you also get status updates like on Faebook where you can edit it yourself. Or, if you want, you can tie it to your facebook or twitter account and if you post to FB or twitter is also posts to your TT profile.

We still have the demo for a few more days so check out my test profile to see the name history, status updates, and other stuff. Remember that if we get this upgrade the final site would NOT look like this test site. It would be made to look more like TamaTalk.

SailorRosette

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:44 PM ( #10 )

Okay then. Those features sound very cool.

Linking to Facebook/Twitter or anything... It could cost you some bandwidth/speed/memory.... Linking between them and displaying them.... Not just being a clickable link... If that made since.... :)

If you invite Facebook/Twitter posts... like your status... Would you place that into your profile?(AND/Or) just under your avatar?

Facebook and Twitter can be linked together.... So would it "post back" to your Facebook/Twitter page if you updated your Tamatalk account was linked to one or both...? Like they have done?

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:39 PM ( #11 )

I'll copy the description from Invision here since it describes the ststus pages best:

Status updates have had several big improvements. Most notably, members can now comment directly on each others' statuses. We've also added a new Community Statuses page, allowing all member statuses to be viewed and commented on at once. Member profiles have been updated with a new tab to show a history of that user's status updates, as well as an overview of comments they've given on other status updates. Finally, Facebook and Twitter status integration means your users can bring their external statuses into your community, and vice-versa.

so, yes, it works both ways as far as posting status updates go.

SailorRosette

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:56 PM ( #12 )

Ahh. Okay.

I'm just wrapping myself into this... This stuff is interesting.

chrispilot2293

• chrispilot2293 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:44 PM ( #13 )

Ummmmm, and what about us android users, we want an app too, ehhem, Tapatalk,.....only 2.99, app,,....pm from like a month ago

Edited by chrispilot2293, 02 September 2010 - 06:47 PM.

patrickthewumboer

• patrickthewumboer user photo

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:06 PM ( #14 )

Awesome!! I would love to help but I know if I ask my dad, I know what the answer will be. Here, i can set up a convo I might have-

Me-"Hey dad, can u spare like, $5.00 from yor paypal?"

Dad-"Why?"

M-"Cuz, I wanna help the tama-talk site I go on!"

D-"what do they need that's gonna cost me 5 bucks?"

M-"it's a fund-raiser so they they can upgrade the site! u know, like, mobile apps, new forums, better chat rooms, suff like that!"

D-"Mobile apps huh? What, u are making me give u 5 dollars just so u can go raising the phone-bill again?"

M-"I don't even want the mobile app!"

D-"then why should i give u 5 dollars?"

M-"URRRRG! NEVERMIND!! YOU WIN HAPPY?!?!?! :rolleyes: :) "

D-"No, no I'm not."

M-" :D :D AHHHHHHHHHHHH! mbrblfrblrgrblgrbrmdugdufrga GAGGHHHHH!"

Yep, that will exactly happen. even the mdfdu part.

Sorry though. :D

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:57 AM ( #15 )

Ummmmm, and what about us android users, we want an app too, ehhem, Tapatalk,.....only 2.99, app,,....pm from like a month ago

lol! This would make TapaTalk possible as well. Personally, I'd prefer the mobile version of the site over an app that way it works on most any phone/device out there.

@patrickthewumboer: lol!

+[ b r u t a l ]+

• b-r-u-t-a-l user photo

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:04 AM ( #16 )

Bravo to the one member who contributed nine dollars already ! ^__________^

It honestly makes me sad to see TamaTalk change so much ( it's growing up so fast ! xD ). I do still prefer old TT. ^.^
But, if those changes will make the site better, then I'll do what I can to help.
I still won't be able to do much for the fundraising though, so I'm sorry. ;w;

Anyway, you still love me, right Admin? 8D

patrickthewumboer

• patrickthewumboer user photo

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:13 AM ( #17 )

I am like, really sorry. I really want to help. I want to be a LIFETIME angelgotchi, I wanna help the fundraiser, but in this economy, I can't. CURSE YOU PAT QUINN AND BLAGOYAVITCH!!! (Typo? Sorry, I'm only eleven.)

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:32 PM ( #18 )

... I have set up a new widget on the sidebar from ChipIn.com. This widget will keep track of the amount we've raised so far.

I see a note ends Sep 30 on the Chip In Side Bar

Does that mean donations should be given by the end of September?

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:08 PM ( #19 )

I see a note ends Sep 30 on the Chip In Side Bar

Does that mean donations should be given by the end of September?

Hopefully, yes. -_-

Anyone think that's too soon? Not soon enough?

Lee'

• lee user photo

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:25 PM ( #20 )

Is there any way to donate without paypal? Something like... mailing money or... putting it in my CD Drive and it magically disappearing off because I have the money right here, I just don't know how to send it without paypal. o-o