Photo
- - - - -

The TamaTalk Upgrade Fundraiser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

chrispilot2293

• chrispilot2293 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:02 PM ( #21 )

@admin I think you should open up a P.O. Box so any minors I.E. me and pretty much every other member can mail in money

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:02 PM ( #22 )

I'll get to working on the magical CD drive money transfer machine... If I can figure that out I think we'll never have to worry about how to pay for an upgrade because I'll be super rich. :D

In the meantime, if you are in the USA and want to send cash (or money order) then please send it to the TT PO Box:
TamaTalk
P.O. Box 40338
Austin, TX 78704

I should have thought about that before. Doh! Thanks for mentioning it!

In the meantime, check out the test site again (before it goes away) where I spent a few minutes testing out how it would look with some TT backgrounds. It's not pretty right now but remember it was done in just a few minutes.

chrispilot2293

• chrispilot2293 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:59 PM ( #23 )

I Get This error message when trying to use the chat room
[#CSTART-4] The room ID supplied was invalid. Please notify the administrator.
Any reason why this happens with me???

//Shooting S T A R S

• shooting-s-t-a-r-s user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:01 PM ( #24 )

Hopefully, yes.  :D

Anyone think that's too soon?  Not soon enough?

I think September 30th is a little soon. That's in just over 20 days, and some people who would like to donate might need a while to get their money together. Also, if people are sending money to the P.O. box, it could take a while depending on where they live. But, hopefully I'm wrong and the donations will be all in by the 30th!

Edited by //Shooting S T A R S, 03 September 2010 - 06:03 PM.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:25 PM ( #25 )

The chat room isn't part of the demo so that error appears for everyone. Sorry. :D

As far as the 30th "deadline" it is (by my calculation) 27 days away. I can extend it if needed. My hope is to know if we are getting an upgrade before too long because later this year real world stuff will take a lot of my time away that would be used for working on upgrading. I'm flexible on the date... ChipIn asks for a date so I just put that. ;)

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:01 PM ( #26 )

September 30 is a good date to try to have money by. We can always change it later.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:06 PM ( #27 )

OK I will be putting an unopened v2 tama connection up for sale this weekend with the money going towards the fundraiser. Make sure to check back later and pm me if you are interested!

ShAwDy_1

• shawdy-1 user photo
  • Group: Retired TamaTalk Guides

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:35 PM ( #28 )

I've looked at the demo site and it's really different than what I'm accustomed to on TT, but it looks really great and has some nice features :( . I do hope the original look of TT is not removed THAT much, however, if it is we all will just have to get used to it! :P The demo looks very nice anyway. As for donations, I'll add some money to my paypal and send it over as soon as I deposit my check. :mellow:

~shawdy~ :furawatchi:

TamaPhantom

• tamaphantom user photo

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:00 AM ( #29 )

Gaak, I love it so much...as I may have already mentioned on the Demo board, it makes me miss a forum I used to go on...Kind of a nostalgic longing...PLEASE HELP MAKE THIS TT A REALITY!!! Once again, I'm so sorry I can't donate. D8 I'm not allowed. I love the rep system and status updates,, but the mobile site would not be of use to me as I can't use the internet on my phone, and therefore not try it out.

Tama :ph34r: Phantom

Ronaldo

• ronaldo user photo

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:48 AM ( #30 )

Hello TamaTalkers!
There has been a discussion (in this topic) about the future of TamaTalk. One of the things I keep seeing in the Suggestions forum are great ideas and cool things that would be neat to have on TamaTalk. The problem for me with most of these is that the software TamaTalk runs on is really old... The last time the software was updated by Invision as 2003 which makes the software older than even TamaTalk itself. Think about the way websites used to be that many years ago and you get an idea of how much things have changed. I have been exploring options and one has been to upgrade the software for TamaTalk. This upgrade would leave all of the forums, posts and members exactly as they are but give us lots of nice new features and tools to keep the site humming along past our 10th birthday and beyond (read more about other TamaTalkers testing the new version of the software in this topic). It will take some work but I am up for it... All sounds good, right? Well there is one problem. The new software costs a good amount of money to purchase. I figure it would cost $224 for the new forum, photo gallery and a new chat system. I find it hard to move forward making that purchase because money is already tight for me (as I'm sure it is for many others here).

So the idea is to to have a TamaTalk upgrade fundraiser. I am asking for some help in raising the money to update TamaTalk. Here is a good chance to invest in the community's future. This isn't like the Angelgotchi program where you can pay one of two different prices. For this I am asking for donations of any amount that you can spare. Have $1 in your Paypal account? That helps. Have $5 to spare? That helps too! Anything you can spare will be greatly appreciated. Don't live in the United States and want to help? You can! Paypal accepts lots of different money types and it automagically converts it to US dollars! Nobody is being forced to donate here. If you can't spare some money then I still love ya all the same. :P

I have set up a new widget on the sidebar from ChipIn.com. This widget will keep track of the amount we've raised so far.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and questions about this.

Hopefully with your help we can see a new and better TamaTalk in the near future!

If you want to and you have the new site up and running, would you like a re-do of the TT group badges?
You don't have to agree tothis, hut I thouhgt it would be a change?
I wouldtry my best to if you are willing :ph34r:

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:10 PM ( #31 )

I've heard that a big thing everyone would love to see on TT (and on the logs) is the ability to post pictures and videos in the forums, logs and messages. The new software makes this kind of thing very easy to do and so, yes, this will be a big thing we can add to TamaTalk if we can upgrade to the new software.

@TamaPhantom: You can still see the what the mobile version looks like by scrolling all the way to the bottom and click on the menu that says TT Testing and select IP.Board Mobile instead. Then just make your browser's window smaller and you will get an idea of how it would look on your phone.

@Ronaldo: For now we plan on keeping the same badges and stuff. I appreciate you offering to help make some new ones. I'm sure there would be lots of opportunities for new graphics, smilies and such if we can get this upgrade. :P

Ronaldo

• ronaldo user photo

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:11 PM ( #32 )

I've heard that a big thing everyone would love to see on TT (and on the logs) is the ability to post pictures and videos in the forums, logs and messages. The new software makes this kind of thing very easy to do and so, yes, this will be a big thing we can add to TamaTalk if we can upgrade to the new software.

@TamaPhantom: You can still see the what the mobile version looks like by scrolling all the way to the bottom and click on the menu that says TT Testing and select IP.Board Mobile instead. Then just make your browser's window smaller and you will get an idea of how it would look on your phone.

@Ronaldo: For now we plan on keeping the same badges and stuff. I appreciate you offering to help make some new ones. I'm sure there would be lots of opportunities for new graphics, smilies and such if we can get this upgrade. :D

Ok, thanks =]
If there's any oppertunities can I help? :P

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:35 AM ( #33 )

Looks like our demo of the new software has expired. I will create another demo as soon as I can and post a link.

GotchiGirl96

• gotchigirl96 user photo

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:24 PM ( #34 )

Being able to change your username?
How would that work exactly? And how would we know who the person is afterward?

Another thing - is there any way to turn off the new photos in posts feature once it is added? I have dial up and if there's a ton of pictures on the page the site will take forever to load.

Edited by GotchiGirl96, 07 September 2010 - 02:26 PM.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:40 PM ( #35 )

Being able to change your username?
How would that work exactly? And how would we know who the person is afterward?

Another thing - is there any way to turn off the new photos in posts feature once it is added? I have dial up and if there's a ton of pictures on the page the site will take forever to load.

The name changes are shown as a link on the person's profile. I wouldn't want to allow lots of changes so that we avoid tons of name changes all the time. Who knows, maybe we will allow one name change in a year or one change in a month or none at all without help from staff. Not sure yet but it is an available option which makes it good in my book.

The posted images... Great news for you! There is actually a setting that you can use to turn off all images posted in the forums. This would keep things loading fast for you. As an alternatve you would also be able to use the mobile skin which is made specifically for slower internet connections like mobile devices and dial-up connections.

GotchiGirl96

• gotchigirl96 user photo

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:40 PM ( #36 )

Sounds good to me. It seems like you've really gone all out on this one, Admin. Haha. I'm looking forward to the new changes.

Aubrey Hepburn

• aubrey-hepburn user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:18 AM ( #37 )

My work payday is coming soon and then I can chip in. :angry:

ribbonhime

• ribbonhime user photo

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:36 AM ( #38 )

Is there an account number posted up? I can't seem to find where to donate the money to..
How are we going so far?

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:41 AM ( #39 )

Is there an account number posted up? I can't seem to find where to donate the money to..
How are we going so far?

Check out the little ChipIn widget on the sidebar. Clicking that button will take you to the Paypal page for donations. The widget will also keep track of how far we have to go.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:30 AM ( #40 )

OK a new demo board has beenc reated in case you missed the last one. There isn't really anything there now so feel free to create an account, play around, try posting stuff and whatever else you want to get a feel for what is possible. Remember that the look of the demo is NOT what it will look like for TT. We will definitely tama-fy this!

check out the new demo