Photo
- - - - -

The TamaTalk Upgrade Fundraiser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:15 PM ( #61 )

Wooo, the little widget on the side of the page is now updated! It's so exciting to see. :D

memetchi <3

• memetchi-<3 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:21 PM ( #62 )

Hooray! Thank you to all of the people who donated! :ichigotchi: I'm so excited! ^_^

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:49 PM ( #63 )

Strange, my widget still says 37%... :/

Regardless, I'm beyond happy that TamaTalk was able to raise the money! Thanks for everyone that contributed to upgrading the forum - it appears I'm a little late for that. ^_^

Won't stop me from buying a Membership, however. :ichigotchi:

cynicalBookworm

• cynicalbookworm user photo

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:15 PM ( #64 )

Will the forums/chat be up while the update is being purchased/worked on?

Ocean.A v e n u e

• oceana-v-e-n-u-e user photo

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:28 PM ( #65 )

Hey, Admin, you may or may not have answered this before without my knowledge [I've read throughout the topic, but I could've easily missed something], but do you know what program the new Chat is going to be running on? I spend a great majority of my time on TamaTalk in the Chat moreso than the forums-- I still post, just not very often, and I was asking out of curiosity, as earlier me and some other Chatters were questioning this.
We were assuming maybe the 'old' Java Chat, but possibly a better version of that one, as well, seeing as we haven't had it in a while? This being because of the money issues that made the site switch back to the original Flash about a year ago.
Also, is there a way of merging old accounts with new ones? ie; the account I was known best on and posted the most on was ~Pokemon*Mew~ back a while ago, before I registered under this name. I'd prefer that maybe my old posts from my ~Pokemon*Mew~ account be transferred here, but keep the account name Ocean.A v e n u e? [so one could go to my account and see the merged amount of posts from both accounts, and tell them that I was formerly ~Pokemon*Mew~, treating it as if my name had simply been changed, not a full-on new account.] Would that be possible under the new system? And the same going for my register date-- For it to say I registered on February Eighteenth, 2008 instead of March Thirteenth, 2010?
Basically, keep all the account info from my former account and new account under the same name.
Thanks. (:

~Mew

Edited by Ocean.A v e n u e, 19 September 2010 - 04:32 PM.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:13 PM ( #66 )

The forums will stay open while I am testing things out. Which ever day I actually do the big upgrade I will have to turn the forums off for a couple hours or something as everything upgrades and stuff. I am going to do my best to make this a smooth transition. I am excited to get started. The software has been purchased and I am just waiting for them to do approval or whatever so I can download the software and start testing.

As far as the chat system goes... IP.Board bas their own version of chat. It is not the old java chat or the current flash one. I am going to see how good it is compared to the current one and we can just see which works best.

clear w lava purple pink

• clear-w-lava-purple-pink user photo

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:27 PM ( #67 )

I did not have any money to donate, but if I had any, I would have donated. Anyways, can't wait!

Edited by clear w lava purple pink, 19 September 2010 - 05:28 PM.

iHavezMyBirdo

• ihavezmybirdo user photo

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:52 PM ( #68 )

I wonder, will the upgrades be, absolutely noticeable regardless of how "blind" you are?
The funding zipped by pretty fast, I'm really surprised.

chrispilot2293

• chrispilot2293 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:06 PM ( #69 )

@admin ok sooo i know ive bugged you about this ALOT, but Can u do tapatalk now, PLZ, I want Tamatalk on my Android Phone!!!!

chrispilot2293

• chrispilot2293 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:05 PM ( #70 )

PS Admin, Do the Upgrade late at night so we dont have a internal server error, and then confusing people all day....

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:34 PM ( #71 )

Ditto!

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:39 PM ( #72 )

PS Admin, Do the Upgrade late at night so we dont have a internal server error, and then confusing people all day....

Sooo, Admin himself should stay up all night just so that we can all be satisfied and avoid a little inconvenience? :) All the guides have their own lives too and do their best to maintain the site on their own time. Plus, I have a feeling the upgrade process won't just be overnight. You may have missed Admin's earlier post:

The forums will stay open while I am testing things out. Which ever day I actually do the big upgrade I will have to turn the forums off for a couple hours or something as everything upgrades and stuff. I am going to do my best to make this a smooth transition. I am excited to get started. The software has been purchased and I am just waiting for them to do approval or whatever so I can download the software and start testing.

I think having the forums off for a couple of hours or so is a fair trade-off for what we're going to be getting. :)

Dazzlelitchi

• dazzlelitchi user photo

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:25 PM ( #73 )

@chrispilot2293 some people will still probably be confused, since there are tamatalkers all over this world (different timezones) so it really doesn't matter when admin does it because it will affect pretty much everyone and some people get on at night too.

SugaryGoesRAWR

• sugarygoesrawr user photo

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:32 PM ( #74 )

@chrispilot2293 some people will still probably be confused, since there are tamatalkers all over this world (different timezones) so it really doesn't matter when admin does it because it will affect pretty much everyone and some people get on at night too.

Yeah.

Because, while a majority of people on here are american, whilst it would be night time for Admin, since I'm in New Zealand, it would be day time for me.

Anyhow, I'm excited for the upgrades!
I wish I could've helped, but my mum wouldn't let me ):

thekaren

• thekaren user photo

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:09 AM ( #75 )

Yay, I'm so glad the goal was reached!! :) I can't wait for all the new upgrades to the site! :)

RedRiot

• redriot user photo

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:19 AM ( #76 )

Wow! I just rejoined TamaTalk after a year's absence and am so excited and happy about being in time for the upgrade!!
If I had have joined before the fundraiser had started then I would've contributed but I had no idea there was a fundraiser until after I joined >_<

Anyway, it's great to see TamaTalk upgraded, I joined (for the first time) sometime in in 2006 and TamaTalk has basically stayed exactly the same since I first found it so it will be good to make it more up-to-date and better for the newest Tama user's generation.

chrispilot2293 @ September 19, 2010 07:05 pm:

People from other time zones would find this an inconvenience and in my case, it would actually happen during the daytime for my country. It's also unfair to ask Admin to stay up late just to convenience one time zone.
A good suggestion, although you needed to think of the bigger picture.

Here's for the new upgrade *raises glass up in the air* "Cheers!"

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:13 AM ( #77 )

So as some have mentioned, it is really hard to find a time when nobody will be inconvenienced... As in I think it is impossible. Besides, you really don't want a half-awake admin messing around with a huge database and making major changes. :) Who knows how that would end up! I will do my best to avoid upgrading during our typically busy times... You have my word. I will also do my best to minimize how long it takes by practicing the upgrade before I do it.

Quick update... I made a copy of the database this morning so that I can test the upgrade. I also (finally) got access to the new software. I will begin work today when I have a chance. Please accept my apologies if you try to contact me and it takes a while. This upgrade is going to be my free time priority so I may not be checking messages as often as usual. :)

Ronaldo

• ronaldo user photo

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:02 AM ( #78 )

It's defo at 100% for me!
Great work to anyone that helped!
Anyway, do you know when you might be finished Admin?

Tama_dude2010

• tama-dude2010 user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:53 AM ( #79 )

Im excited!!! :)
And Ranaldo, he said about a week or so.

TAMAGIRL2008

• tamagirl2008 user photo

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:04 PM ( #80 )

Wow. New TT looks so Awesome! I'm really sorry I was not allowed to donate. I'm sorry! But well done to everyone who did! Eep! I'm so excited for new TT! Did you say we were able to log in with our old usernames and passwords?

Edited by TAMAGIRL2008, 20 September 2010 - 12:06 PM.