Photo
- - - - -

TamaTalk Upgrade - A Status Log

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:48 AM ( #1 )

OK everyone... I am starting this topic (which will remain locked to replies) so that I can keep you all informed about the status of the upgrade. Please keep replies flowing in the original topic.

So far I have downloaded the software and am doing tests of upgrades with our current database (the database stores EVERYTHING from members, posts, PMs, etc). The current "problem" is that our database is relatively huge so the upgrade process is taking a LONG time on my tests. How long? We are talking hours and hours just to let the software go through everything and do updates. This means that the upgrade itself will take longer than I expected so no more TT down for a couple of hours to update... It will be more like down for at least a full day. ;) That stinks in my opinion but we don't have an alternative and I still think it is worth the time. I am still doing testing and such so I will keep you all posted on when I think this will all happen.

Replies

Views

Started

21 Sep 2010

Last Post

04 Nov 2010

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:41 PM ( #2 )

7 hours... 7 HOURS! And that's only to do the database updates!

So, yes, at least a good chunk of the day for the upgrading. I am going to work on a basic tama-fied skin to see how soon I can get this all up and running.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:45 PM ( #3 )

Got a lot more hours in today of playing aorund with the new software and trying out the upgrade process. So far so good but the tama-fying steps of making it look more like what we have now is going to involve a lot more time.

My apologies if the site has slowed down a little from time to time. It is usually because I am doing some testing.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:58 AM ( #4 )

The work is still coming along. I am getting more and more comfortable with the new software and how to change how it looks and stuff. One thing I always like to do is explore otpions for improving what will be used. This can get out of control and so I am trying to balance this out. My goal is to get us a nice looking skin that works and isn't terribly different from what we are all used to now.

It is moving slower than I hoped though. I know for sure we won't be upgrading at the 1 week mark. I am hoping for a clearer idea some time soon.

I will keep you all posted and I also really appreciate your patience. I have received a lot of comments from members excited to see the new stuff. :lol:

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:21 PM ( #5 )

Hello everyone!
Sorry I haven't updated the log in a while. Progress on the upgrade is moving along wonderfully. At the moment I am concentrating on tweaking the skin to make it look how I want. I am trying to go for something similar to the current blue skin. So it is looking familiar but you can still see the improvements there. I am also trying to make sure things are loading up fast so that the whole site just feels snappy. (In fact, I made a server tweak today to help make things faster so hopefully you are seeing fast page loads now).

The TT Guides have been helping me check things out and everyone is learning some of the new features and tools available so that we have a chance of having answers to the questions everyone will be asking when the upgrade happens.

I am still hopeful that the upgrade will happen soon but can not give a specific day yet. I know people are anxious to see this. I am working hard to make it something worth waiting for. Thanks to everyone for continuing to be so patient!

Admin

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:26 AM ( #6 )

I'm still working on the upgrade in the test area. Things are moving along but I am still learning differences in the software. I am certain new things will pop up that I did not know about and such. This is all expected. I had originally hoped for 1-2 weeks before upgrading. This has been delayed (obviously) and I apologize for that. I am still working as hard as I can on this.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:04 PM ( #7 )

We are getting closer... :rolleyes: I am in th process of making final tweaks to how the upgraded forum looks. This is one of the last things I wanted to finish before picking a day to start the upgrade itself. There will still be a LOT of stuff to do once this stage is complete. I have yet to even begin working with the gallery and the arcade. Those two will be upgraded after the main site. I figured if I waited until everything was done and tested then we'd be in December or even 2011. :rolleyes: Instead of doing that I wanted to work on the forums themselves as well as chat. Those two are the most used areas of the site and I am excited to get them finished up.

I will continue to keep everyone posted. :rolleyes:

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:13 PM ( #8 )

Final tweaking continues and things are really shaping up. I am actually hoping to get the upgrade going next week if everything continues according to plan. Now don't get me wrong, there will still be lots to do afterwards. This is all just the beginning. I am just hopeful that everyone sees the new site and thinks it was all worth the work.

The Guides have been helping me by looking around at the new software and offering loads of bug reports and tips/suggestions. I am likely to give more people a sneak peak really soon. Stay tuned for more updates! :)

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:38 PM ( #9 )

I am hoping to begin the upgrade to TamaTalk this coming week! (maybe October 18)

Please note that once the upgrade begins you will likely not be able to access TamaTalk for a day or two. Please be patient and know that I will be working like crazy to bring the site back online as quickly as possible.

I will keep everyone posted if anything changes. :)

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:14 PM ( #10 )

Well the upgrade has come and gone and, wowsers, it was one heck of an ordeal. I started most of the database upgrades a couple of days ago. Those went pretty smooth with only a few hiccups. The bulk of the work took place yesterday which required well over 11-12 hours of sitting at the computer and moving stuff around, making setting changes, testing and more... I was mentally exhausted by the end of it but still excited to unleash the new version of the site.

Right now we have a few major parts of the upgrade that have yet to be completed...
1) PMs are turned off for now while I wait for a good way to get them upgraded. Nothing is lost from before. The problem is converting it to the new way that the database handles PMs.
2) The gallery needs to be finished. They are getting ready to release an even cooler gallery update later this month so I am just waiting for the new one before beginning this part.
3) The arcade isn't done yet. According to stats not many people were using it anyways so I am wanting to concentrate on the more important stuff first.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:47 AM ( #11 )

Well the version of the site with most of the stuff turned off is kinda lame, eh? :lol:

I am still working on this. Hopefully we will be at full power (as far as status updates, search, profiles, PMs) some time today.

Apologies again for all the inconveniences here... :(

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:21 PM ( #12 )

Still working out more from the upgrade. Finally got karma displaying correctly again (yay!).

I am also still waiting for the gallery software update before rolling it out here. It's release should be any day now.

The arcade? Nobody seems to miss it. :P It is pretty low on the to-do list right now so please voice your opinions if you all want it to return.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:06 PM ( #13 )

Today I made a smaller software update in preparation for the gallery (and to keep up with security updates for the site). Things seemed to go smoothly though I am still checking things out to make sure everything is as it should be. Please let me know if you notice any problems. One such problem was that I accidentally replaced our tama smilies with the generic ones (thanks to Tama_dude2010 for letting me know about this right away!).