Photo
- - - - -

Change to the server makes TT look empty

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:57 PM ( #1 )

So I made a change to the server setup yesterday that seems to be resulting in two things...

1) The pages should be loading much faster for most people. Fast websites are also a good thing, right? Who wants to click and wait 10 seconds for a page to load, then click again and wait another 10 seconds... I know when I click I want it, like, now. :( This change made that happen.

but...

2) this change also makes the forums look positively DEAD! For example, at this time I usually see 30 members listed as being on TamaTalk within the past 60 minutes. Right now I am seeing 7 (including me). SEVEN?!? There is usually more than 7 at 6:00 in the morning when I check the site. Why is this happening? Read on, my freinds!

So the explanation about why things look dead requires an explanation of how the site was made faster. basically, I set TamaTalk up with a company that stores copies of this website on different servers throughout the world. This makes things faster because 1) your computer can talk to a server that is closer which also makes it faster) and 2) the TT server isn't overloaded with a ton of people trying to view web pages because now a bunch of servers are helping out. So you and I see web pages load fast. But because we are using many servers spread throughout the world this also means that the active users list isn't 100% correct since I may see the site from one server, binary sees it from another, TamaMum sees it from yet another and you are probably seeing it from a different one from all of us.

So does this all really matter? Not really unless you like seeing a list of lots of people. I am telling yuou all this because when I first saw it happening I kinda freaked out thinking everyone left. They didn't. You can tell by looking at our Tamagotchi Topsites stats page (which has a lower number today and yesterday before I realized what was happening and made a small change).

For now hopefully you are seeing fast pages and loving it. Please let me know if you are having problems seeing things so that I can fix the problem for you. ;)

UPDATE: Looks like we have the problem fixed. Now we have the list of online users like normal plus the faster speeds. Woohoo!

Edited by Admin, 03 October 2010 - 07:07 PM.

Replies

Views

Started

30 Sep 2010

Last Post

03 Nov 2010

aerbear10

• aerbear10 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:13 PM ( #2 )

There is usually more than 7 at 6:00 in the morning when I check the site.

6:00 AM?? It is 10:12 PM I thought... Well anyways I see 7 people too, that is really weird!

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:15 PM ( #3 )

Wow, thanks for this update and a great explanation at that too! I was wondering why it was looking so dead today. ;)

' A k i

• a-k-i user photo

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:36 PM ( #4 )

I'm just making a guess with this but this is what I am thinking after reading the explanation, there are now many different servers and different people have different ones, and if your not on the same server as that person, you can't see them on Board Statistics unless they're on the same server? Sorry if this is completely wrong, I'm just a little freaked out due to the deadness on tamatalk, normally it has tones of people online.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:01 AM ( #5 )

Sorry if this is completely wrong, I'm just a little freaked out due to the deadness on tamatalk, normally it has tones of people online.

I don't think it sound completely wrong - and don't be freaked out - there are still tons of people online - they are just using different servers to you so you can't see them listed.

+[ b r u t a l ]+

• b-r-u-t-a-l user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:28 AM ( #6 )

Huh. No wonder TT was lonely ! :P

Thanks for letting us know. ^^

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:29 AM ( #7 )

Thanks for letting us know about the update, Admin. I personally haven't noticed any change in speed but definitely a change in online users. However, for people who were experiencing loading problems I'm sure this will make them happy. :D

' A k i

• a-k-i user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:36 AM ( #8 )

I see, thank you Tamamum, so the different servers are based on where your located? If not are there anyways to change what server your on? and even if they're not listed can you still see what they post? And I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just really curious about all this...curiosity killed the cat....but satisfaction brought it back...
And thank you for the notification on the update Admin, I was wondering why it was working a lot faster now.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:45 AM ( #9 )

I see, thank you Tamamum, so the different servers are based on where your located?

I don't think that's necessarily true - but Admin can correct me if I'm wrong!

When I logged in a while ago I could see approx 5 members on the list as well as me - binary was one of them and he lives on a different continent to me.

As for choosing your server (like you can on other sites like - for instance - Club Penguin) - no.

From what I understand reading Admin's post, the choice of server is probably random - and different each time.
It might be based on several factors put together - like depending on when/what time you log in, how busy it is/how many other members are using the site when you log in and where/location you are when you log in and which server is most convenient or efficient to use on the basis of these different factors.

On a personal note, even tho' I know there are plenty of ppl online it still feels kind of empty... so I guess I'm one of those members who like seeing a list of lots of people! :D

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:52 AM ( #10 )

It is kind of based on where you are located... But mostly based on which server is going to give you the quickest page loads. Now letme make one thing clear... This is using multiple servers spread around the world to display pages for you... But we are all still on the same forum. In other words, its not like Club penguin where if you are on one server you can;t talk to people on another. This is just using many servers to speed things up and not to divide us up. Many big companies/websites use this kind of arrangement so that pages load faster. I was just as surprised as others to see the handful of members online. In fact, if you look at the online users list and then hit refresh a few times you will see the names change around many times. It's weird.

What I'd like to know (besides if anyone is having problems) is if people think this is something bad. My thinking is a faster website makes up for seeing a few people listed as online. But I am willing to undo the changes. So I'd love to hear some thoughts. Also, I'm not sure how this works with the new software yet.

' A k i

• a-k-i user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:19 AM ( #11 )

I do think the changes are fine, I have nothing against it in anyway, it's just that I'm a bit like Tamamum, I like seeing that there are a lot of people on the list and it kinda gives me an empty feeling seeing it, but that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are people who like the new update a lot.

+[ b r u t a l ]+

• b-r-u-t-a-l user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:47 AM ( #12 )

ah well, I like knowing when my friends come online. So simple. :)

Not disliking the changes or anythin' - I'm just a list kind of girl, ya know? :P

Edit; smilie.

Edited by +[ b r u t a l ]+, 01 October 2010 - 06:47 AM.

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:00 AM ( #13 )

I personally liked TamaTalk the way it was before. I haven't noticed any change in loading speeds, but I've noticed the place seems a lot emptier. There are times when it seems I am the only one online! :D

I know that is not the case, I'm just getting my point across. The only think that has changed for me is the fact that it seems that nobody is online. I'd like to ask however, were there many people complaining about loading times? If so, I think it's a good thing. It it speeds up the loading times for some people, that's better than nothing. But maybe it's not to do with TamaTalk at all, and it's just their slow internet connection. Just a thought.

mew0099

• mew0099 user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:40 AM ( #14 )

7 guests, 3 members 1 anonymous members

Well at least I know why. It is pretty weird not seeing 35 or more people on that list, though...

But for me, Tamatalk was fine before, loading speed hasn't changed, really.

Tama_dude2010

• tama-dude2010 user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:22 AM ( #15 )

It says there is 2 members online for me. o_0 But TamaTalk is normal speed for me.

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:39 AM ( #16 )

I do miss seeing everyone on here. I'm the only one listed in my case!

ShAwDy_1

• shawdy-1 user photo
  • Group: Retired TamaTalk Guides

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:23 PM ( #17 )

I do miss seeing everyone on here. I'm the only one listed in my case!

I'm on twitter so much that I was looking for the 'RT' button...smh

Anyway I have to say, same for me.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:35 PM ( #18 )

Thank you all for your opinions. I am working on a fix for this. Right now I am waiting on a tweak to see if it fixes some things (including this).

memetchi <3

• memetchi-<3 user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:02 PM ( #19 )

Ahhh, no wonder I saw 2-3 people on TamaTalk last night. :P Thanks for letting us know Admin! :)

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:58 PM ( #20 )

WooHoo! I think we have it fixed (and still fast!). I will be keeping an eye on things so please post if you experience problems.