Photo
- - - - -

Should we reorganize the forums?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: Should we reorganize the forums? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:29 AM ( #1 )

Hey TamaTalkers!
I wanted to post this poll up to gather your opinions on the organization of TamaTalk's forums. As part of the upgrade I am thinking about moving some forums around... Not getting rid of any but just moving them. I am thinking about these moves because of some options that the new software gives us as well as to make things easier to find.

Right now we have three main forums: News, Tamagotchi Help and General. I am thinking about expanding this into six. There would then be all the usual subforums mixed into these 6 main forums. Check out the organization i am considering below.

News
- tamagotchi news
- tamatalk news
- comments and rumors

tamagotchi help
- tama tips and tricks
- tamatown and etamago
- tama codes
- what happened to my tama
- help for new tama pet owners
- seriously tama

tama general
- the library
- - tama reference section
- - tama logs
- - tama entertainment
- whats on your mind
- tama memorial
- groups hatchings
- tama warnings
- tama ancestors
- tama cousins
- - all subforums listed here
- tbay

general
-introductions and departures
- - introductions
- - departures
- chat
- gallery (not sure how the gallery will work as far as where it will be presented)
- suggestions

fun stuff
- art/photo albums
- fan fiction
- fan fiction comments
- team stories
- role play
- arcade
- arcade discussion

(non)tamatalk
- stuff w eplay
- stuff we read
- stuff we write
- stuff we watch
- stuff we listen to
- seriously (non)tamatalk

So do you think this would be a bad change? Please vote in the poll and post if you have questions, comments about this and/or some ideas to improve this idea. :D

Replies

Views

Started

05 Oct 2010

Last Post

15 Oct 2010

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:34 AM ( #2 )

So a quick follow up... There are two things in the new software update that made me consider this change...

First, I am thinking about making the menus at the top (where now it says Site Map, Extras and Settings) list out the 6 main forums and then drop down menus to show all the subforums. Right now General has a LOT of subforums so that menu looks ridiculously long. I think breaking it up would make things easier and more intuitive to find things.

Second, the main forum list will have the option to HIDE and of the main 6 forums that you don't want to see. Don't go to (Non)TamaTalk? Hide it. Don't go to Tamagotchi Help? Hide it. Go to everything? You have the option to see everything the way you do now. This made me think that breaking things up a little would help make it easier to group places people might want to hide.

Hopefully this clears up why I am asking about this change. I am not making this up just to change as many things as possible at one time as possible. :D

Tama_dude2010

• tama-dude2010 user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:02 AM ( #3 )

Just to note this Admin,
Will we be able to post in fun stuff? Like some of the games we do like the vending machine dont fit into any forum and we do it in fun stuff. So maybe a Random fun stuff maybe? Because I like how we can do non arcade, Non roleplay games like Hatcherys and other games.

Astromeno

• astromeno user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:55 AM ( #4 )

I also have some ideas for this potential reordering:

I know I posted this before, but you could remove some Tamagotchi Cousins sub-boards, like Blinkies or such. Blinkies haven't been around for years, and I think the only two types of discussions are pretty much, "I HATE BLINKIESS!!11!!" or asking what Blinkies are in the first place. A lot of the Aquapets posts now are just about how allegedly suggestive they are, without much detailed discussion, so that board could go as well. Maybe some new sub-boards, like a Zhu Zhu Pets/Kung Zhu board (I have neither, by the way).

Another board that in my opinion could be removed is Tamagotchi Warnings. I know it's a good help for those who aren't familiar with fakes, and that some fakes are pretty convincing, but much of what is being posted is just how users hate JiDan and otherwise freaking-out about it. You could also shrink it down to a sticky topic(s) in a different forum if we need to have something for fakes.

Sorry if I come off as rude, but I don't really know if we exactly need all of these topics. Thank you.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:04 PM ( #5 )

@Tama_dude2010: Yes! These main forums would be open to posting if they are now. Fun Stuff would be open to posting general fun things whereas News would not (because you can't now).

@Astromenĝ: Removing and/or adding cousins sub-forums can be done but I have typically handled that by looking at if the forum has been posted in or not as well as seeing large posts for a specific type of vpet that make a dedicated sub-forum useful. That will always be an ongoing thing. For now, the current batch of subforums will stay. We can talk about adding/removing after the upgrade. :)

Dazzlelitchi

• dazzlelitchi user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:09 PM ( #6 )

I think we could use a section or subforum for each tamagotchi or a section for links of old topics where we discussed how the tama works. Because in the past when I was looking up directions, such as the tamagotchi color directions I always have to go on google and try to find it, for the topic is buried somewhere

Example:
------------------------------------------

Tamagotchi Help (Forum Title)

Tamagotchi Directions (this is where we'd post all about the directions of tamas)

Tamagotchi Tips and Tricks

Seriously Tamagotchi

What Happened To My Tamagotchi?!

Help For New Tamagotchi Pet Owners

------------------------------------
Something like that and in the forum we'd move old topics or make new ones about all the tamas english or japanese.
that way anybody can go look here about a tama. Once complete with a guide we get all the directions put in, we lock it so it doesn't get spammed with repeated directions or thanks for putting this up type of stuff. If anybody needs to add to it, they can contact a guide and edit the topic to add more stuff like codes.This would be easier for I noticed how in one subforum there's the ID codes, another with some more tama info.
---------------------------------------------------------
Inside the subforum

Example

Topics:
we could replace Directions with info if necessary, whatever works
V1 Directions

V2 Directions

V3 Directions

Tamago Directions

Santagotch Directions

And so on
-------------------------------------------------------
Inside one of the topics:

Directions for Santagoth

Feed
blah blah blah
How to play game blah blah
----------------------------------------------------------------
The topic would then get closed so no replies can be made if anything needs to be added then a user can pm a mod or guide to add it in.

§pider°croft

• pidercroft user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:13 PM ( #7 )

Yes. I think we should reorganize the forums, a change of pace (besides the all-around upgrade) would be nice.

memetchi <3

• memetchi-<3 user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:14 PM ( #8 )

No. The forum is just fine! :) I don't think TamaTalk should reorganize, everything is in its perfect spot! ;)

x.Rachel

• xrachel user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:16 PM ( #9 )

I think everything right now is pretty accessible and neat, I would definately like to hear the opinions of new members, and how they find gettin' around to be, though.

Archangel Gabriel

• archangel-gabriel user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:40 PM ( #10 )

Well, if we change, I'll be thrown off for a little, whine about it for a while, get used to it, and shut up. If we don't, I'll whine about the repetition, accept it, and shut up. So... No preference :P

Lexi~Gotchi

• lexigotchi user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:42 PM ( #11 )

^Haha.

I think that would be nice!
It really is a pain with the super long general menu.

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:43 PM ( #12 )

I like the idea of expanding/reorganizing the forums, but I don't like the idea of having them in drop down menus at the top.

Something similar was put into BLM and I hated it. That was one of the main things that threw me off there and made me not want to stick around.
If possible, I'd keep the top bar the way it is with the Site Map, Extras, and Settings.

So for me, yes on expanding, no on top menus.

Ryuk`

• ryuk user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:09 PM ( #13 )

I'm not quite sure at the moment. I like things the way they are now.

mew0099

• mew0099 user photo

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:29 PM ( #14 )

I like the idea, I think it would be easier to get around the forum.

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:04 PM ( #15 )

I like the way things are right now too, but if things were changed, I really wouldn't mind. I think it would be more organized that way. As with all changes, things take a little getting used to but it's not really a big deal.

-Gotchi-Gotchi-

• gotchi-gotchi user photo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:07 AM ( #16 )

I'm all for the changes. :wacko: But, I think you should reorder them differently. Not the forums, jsut the categories. Maybe as follows:

Tamagotchi News
Tamagotchi Help
Tamagotchi General
Non-TamaTalk
Fun Stuff
General

Just a suggestion. :)

kuchikid

• kuchikid user photo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:07 AM ( #17 )

What about adding a place with tamagotchi colouring pages?

lolokotchi:)

• lolokotchi user photo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:27 AM ( #18 )

I would like it, I just don't want any problems with finding my way back to the old topics, but looking at the way you suggested, I think it would be great! :( :D

Tama_dude2010

• tama-dude2010 user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:33 AM ( #19 )

I said yes because it would make it easier to find info on diffrent tama's. Because I want a morino and It would make surching for morino topics easier. :( And Kuchikid Im sorry to be a little bit rude but why? Why colouring pages? Its a little bit *cough* childish? And I dont even have a printer. :D

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:24 AM ( #20 )

OK well this is showing me how much more I have to learn about the changes in the new software. I was trying out this type of layout in the testing area and encountered something that I wanted to pass along. Earlier I said the main forums would still be able to have new topics within them as well as sub-forums. This turns out to NOT be true. The main forums (or categories as they are now called) can not have topics in them... They can only hold forums. So this isn;t a big deal for most of our areas except for two... Fun Stuff and (non)TamaTalk. Both of these areas will need to have a new category created and then topics that are currently in the main area moved into a subforum. So this is what those two areas would look like:

fun stuff
- art/photo albums
- fan fiction
- fan fiction comments
- team stories
- role play
- arcade
- arcade discussion
- anything else

(non)tamatalk
- stuff w eplay
- stuff we read
- stuff we write
- stuff we watch
- stuff we listen to
- seriously (non)tamatalk
- anything else

Note that I put 'anything else' as the forum name to hold the topics that used to be in the main forum.. confused yet?! :(. The name can be changed to anything.

This change would NOT mean we lose any topics or posts at all. It just means they go somewhere else instead of being right inside Fun Stuff or (non)TamaTalk. I apologize for this. It was something I hadn't tried before so didn't know about the change.