Photo
- - - - -

Should we reorganize the forums?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: Should we reorganize the forums? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:33 PM ( #21 )

Why not just rename/re-define the forums that are the problem?

In other words Non TamaTalk (which currently holds the topics) could become a sub forum called... (example) "Non TamaTalk - General" and the main forum/cateogory could be empty and be renamed NTT

You could use a similar abbreviation for Fun Stuff > FS or even "Fun" and rename the sub forum "Fun Stuff - General"

Does that makes sense / is that practical? Not sure how easy it would be to set up like that - or how much easier it is to just move all the topics from the old main forum area into a sub forum.

It's a pain to re-organise the categories for you, but it's only a small change for the members and I am sure they'll get used to the new names pretty quickly - after all - they won't be too different and all the usual topics will still be there - including the exisitng ones.

ShineStar

• shinestar user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:14 PM ( #22 )

I think a rearrangement of the forums would seem nicer. I agree with this:

However I feel some of these need to be changed to make it more clear.

tamagotchi help
- tama tips and tricks
- tamatown and etamago
- tama codes
- what happened to my tama
- help for new tama pet owners
- seriously tama

I like the tips, tricks, codes, and Tamatown... Yet shouldn't "What happened to my Tama" be more like "Technical Difficulties", or "Technical Issues", "Technical Problems" since we are talking about electronic dysfunctions and all? Every time I read that one, I get confused as to what it means. I also feel that "help for new tama pet owners" should be something like "Pet Owner Guide - the ins and out" or ""Pet Owner Guide - Basic knowledge" or something like that if you know what I mean..

Also I was thinking of a basic solutions list to basic problems, especially for new owners. For example: "My tamagotchi is not turning on?" "Did you check the batteries or tried.. etc." Maybe like a troubleshooting checklist as to what could lead to these issues.

- tama ancestors
- tama cousins

And shouldn't that be more Electronic Pet history with sub-forums for specific topics? And even then, wouldn't that fit more in the library section? People look up information on their relatives that way to a degree.

Otherwise, I do like the idea of a rearrangement.

Edit: There should be a reordering and categorizing in the "Tamagotchi Warnings". Scammers can go into one category, fake pets into the next, etc.

Edited by ShineStar, 07 October 2010 - 09:39 AM.

cynicalBookworm

• cynicalbookworm user photo

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:20 PM ( #23 )

Do you think that the Arcade Discussion is necessarily important given the amount of activity it gets?

SugaryGoesRAWR

• sugarygoesrawr user photo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:05 AM ( #24 )

I need to ask this.

Since this is a highly talked about topic in Suggestions, I was wondering.
Would you make the posts count in Fun Stuff?

Because, there are like 56486 people who mainly go in there, and make heaps of posts, and it's still the same. And people have said that it was pointless, because Fun Stuff isn't contributing or anything, so the idea is stupid.

But a post is a post no matter what. So, what do you think?

-Sugary (:

kiaratchi

• kiaratchi user photo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:48 AM ( #25 )

I just have one suggestion....... can you maybe add a Search bar at the top of the page with the 'main' bars? That will help new members a lot when they don't know the forum yet and want to search for something specific :mellow:

jappyx

• jappyx user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Admin Team

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:14 AM ( #26 )

I like the idea of expanding/reorganizing the forums, but I don't like the idea of having them in drop down menus at the top.

Something similar was put into BLM and I hated it. That was one of the main things that threw me off there and made me not want to stick around.
If possible, I'd keep the top bar the way it is with the Site Map, Extras, and Settings.

So for me, yes on expanding, no on top menus.

Unless I’ve misinterpreted what you mean, the forum “layout” will still be the same. The forums will be reorganised/restructured but they will be displayed in the same fashion on the board index... The top menu is just an easy way to navigate the forum (but you can ignore it if you wish and use the forums as normal). It is just like the site map up the top.
Does this make sense? It’s hard to explain xD
Or maybe I’ve misunderstood what you meant.

@kiaratchi, a new search bar will be in prime position on the forums and will be easy to use with the new forum software :mellow:

@SugaryGoesRAWR, we like to keep post counts for those posts with good quality contributing to the main discussions on the forums (Quality over quantity)... FunStuff is mainly forum games etc, and people can easily work up a high post count by posting in there (with not many ‘quality’ posts) which could unfortunately lead to SPAM. Besides, we like to think that post counts don’t mean anything anyway... But I do understand what you mean. It’s tough to decide what’s the best to do with Fun Stuff and post counts. If you have further questions about this, feel free to PM me because we’d like to keep this poll/topic focused on the potential reorganisation of the forums. :mellow:

Tama_dude2010

• tama-dude2010 user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:11 AM ( #27 )

I need to ask this.

Since this is a highly talked about topic in Suggestions, I was wondering.
Would you make the posts count in Fun Stuff?

Because, there are like 56486 people who mainly go in there, and make heaps of posts, and it's still the same. And people have said that it was pointless, because Fun Stuff isn't contributing or anything, so the idea is stupid.

But a post is a post no matter what. So, what do you think?

-Sugary (:

Well really it dosent matter about posts. It isnt a contest or anything. :P Remember something in the rules? '40 good posts are better than 400 bad ones.' :nazotchi:

SugaryGoesRAWR

• sugarygoesrawr user photo

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:42 PM ( #28 )

^Hmm, true. (:

Thanks for saying that.

It be changing my perspective xD

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:54 AM ( #29 )

Unless I’ve misinterpreted what you mean, the forum “layout” will still be the same. The forums will be reorganised/restructured but they will be displayed in the same fashion on the board index... The top menu is just an easy way to navigate the forum (but you can ignore it if you wish and use the forums as normal). It is just like the site map up the top.
Does this make sense? It’s hard to explain xD
Or maybe I’ve misunderstood what you meant.

I'm fine for them being reconstructed ^^ I just don't like the idea of changing the top menus. True I could ignore it, but it's one of those things that I find annoying for some reason.
I can see how it would be helpful, but it just seems like overkill to me. Kind of like, why go up there, when you can just scroll down and find what you need?

I dunno, that's just me. Obviously if it IS in the final product, I'll deal with it somehow, lol.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:50 AM ( #30 )

Quick update about the menus... I think I am leaning more towards keeping the same menu as now (one menu ilink with menus that take you to every forum). I tried the other way and it was just way too crowded looking.

Reorganizing the forums seems to be an ok idea with most people. I am testing that out as well. I think it will work out nicely.

I really appreciate everyone voting on this and posting opinions. :D I am excited about this upgrade but anxious that it hasn't happened yet.

jakecracking

• jakecracking user photo

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:02 PM ( #31 )

i think a forum called "tama pictures" would be good, with subsorums of:
collections (people can post pictures of their tamagotchi collections)
designs (shows all designs of the tamagotchi, and people will put pictures of their tamagotchi up so we can see the asia/australia exclusives [i have a few]
funny (just pictures that are funny)
miscellaneous (what it says, miscellaneous)

Kuribotchi

• kuribotchi user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:02 PM ( #32 )

I think the forums are organized just fine, but if you do reorganize, its not a problem for me.

+[ b r u t a l ]+

• b-r-u-t-a-l user photo

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:32 AM ( #33 )

i think a forum called "tama pictures" would be good, with subsorums of:
collections (people can post pictures of their tamagotchi collections)
designs (shows all designs of the tamagotchi, and people will put pictures of their tamagotchi up so we can see the asia/australia exclusives [i have a few]
funny (just pictures that are funny)
miscellaneous (what it says, miscellaneous)

We have the Photo Album for that. There's loads of stuff in there ! :)

As for reorganizing I dunno- the forums look clean enough for me. :P

But if this will make the site better, then sure ! ^w^