Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Welcome to the new TamaTalk!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

-Ra-

• ra user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:32 PM ( #61 )

Hey Admin,

I don't log in to TamaTalk as often as I used to, but I was pretty surprised to come in today and find the website had a whole new facelift! I believe some of the pros are that the over-all appearance doesn't seem to have changed much, as in the bars are still blue (although now gradient in coloring) and the signature banner logo seems to the usual blue V3, which I'm happy to see remained. Some of the cons, at least for me, has been that everything seems to be rearranged. For instance, I can't seem to locate "My Assistant", which would let you view the active topics, your own last 10 posts etc. It seems to be able to do this, you now have to manually look through, and to find your own posts, you have to go through your profile page. Also, I always liked the TamaChat having that option of "Who's on TamaChat right now?" thing which let you view the people inside before stepping in. Perhaps these are some things which will come with time, but something to keep in mind. :) However, over all, I'd say it isn't as drastic a change as BLM's facelift was, which left everyone overwhelmed and unable to keep up. Well done.

-------------------------
Edit: Hey Admin, I also encountered a new problem. I was trying to personalize my profile by adding an image. However once I tried it out, I saw that it didn't look very good when it got tiled, so I thought I'd change it to something else. Well, that's where my problem started. It seems no matter what I try, it won't let me see my new background image. I asked Mothie to have a look, and she said 'she' could see my new background, but it still looks like the old one to me. At first I assumed it must be my cookies and history, so I cleared it all, but still nothing. So I went in to my setting and tried deleting everything manually, yet once again, it still showed me my old background. I switched to Internet Explorer and tried viewing my profile that way, yet once again, it still displayed my old background.

Maddened with frustration, I restarted my computer, thinking perhaps something was wrong, but that didn't help anything either. In the end I thought I'd remove all customizations and start over again, but once more, when I tried to upload my new image, the old one showed up again. I don't know what's wrong, and it's driving me nuts lol. At that point, I went into the page source code, and I found that the background image it says is currently displayed is this link: http://www.tamatalk..../bgimg-7227.jpg This little red riding hood killing the wolf was my first image, which I thought looked bad once tiled, so I tried uploading a flame image next, but as I said, it just won't let me see it. However, Mothie insists she can see the flame image. Any clues?

Ra,

Edited by -Ra-, 27 October 2010 - 05:32 PM.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:31 PM ( #62 )

[quote name=''/={3' timestamp='1288214934' post='3032015']
um, so when is the art and photo album coming back?
I have been waiting for the newest version of the photo gallery to be released... It should be any day now. Apologies for the delay in waiting. Hopefully everyone will find it worth the wait. :D

@Ra: Many thanks for the items to add to my to-do (or to bring back) list. I like some of the ways they have redone the software but the my assistant function I know is a major change. There is the 'New Content' link in the upper right which covers more than just forum posts... But I know it isn't the same. I will look into it. The who's on chat function is now at the bottom of the main page (below the latest forum visitors list). I am waiting to see which chat system remains before changing that. This is all very much a work in progress so this will all change and evolve. Believe it or not, the BLM change and response remained in my thoughts when approaching this upgrade. :)

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:39 PM ( #63 )

Edit: Hey Admin, I also encountered a new problem. I was trying to personalize my profile by adding an image. However once I tried it out, I saw that it didn't look very good when it got tiled, so I thought I'd change it to something else. Well, that's where my problem started. It seems no matter what I try, it won't let me see my new background image. I asked Mothie to have a look, and she said 'she' could see my new background, but it still looks like the old one to me. At first I assumed it must be my cookies and history, so I cleared it all, but still nothing. So I went in to my setting and tried deleting everything manually, yet once again, it still showed me my old background. I switched to Internet Explorer and tried viewing my profile that way, yet once again, it still displayed my old background.

Maddened with frustration, I restarted my computer, thinking perhaps something was wrong, but that didn't help anything either. In the end I thought I'd remove all customizations and start over again, but once more, when I tried to upload my new image, the old one showed up again. I don't know what's wrong, and it's driving me nuts lol. At that point, I went into the page source code, and I found that the background image it says is currently displayed is this link: http://www.tamatalk..../bgimg-7227.jpg This little red riding hood killing the wolf was my first image, which I thought looked bad once tiled, so I tried uploading a flame image next, but as I said, it just won't let me see it. However, Mothie insists she can see the flame image. Any clues?

Ra,

I don't think a cause has been stated yet, but a way around it is to upload the image you want, and wait a bit.
I had that same problem. It just takes a while to load the right image I guess? o.o

I see the flames too.

-Ra-

• ra user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:44 AM ( #64 )

Hiya Heather! You're right, after several hours, now I can see it as well. Perhaps as you suggested, it just takes a while.

@Ra: Many thanks for the items to add to my to-do (or to bring back) list. I like some of the ways they have redone the software but the my assistant function I know is a major change. There is the 'New Content' link in the upper right which covers more than just forum posts... But I know it isn't the same. I will look into it. The who's on chat function is now at the bottom of the main page (below the latest forum visitors list). I am waiting to see which chat system remains before changing that. This is all very much a work in progress so this will all change and evolve. Believe it or not, the BLM change and response remained in my thoughts when approaching this upgrade. :)

Haha! Sorry, I didn't mean to add more work on your shoulders.=P Thanks for pointing out the New Content link in the upper right, I hadn't even noticed it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it appear like a button, so it's clearly visible? Or maybe just make the text of it bold? And also thanks for showing me where the chat list is, I hadn't noticed that one either. As for the chat, I really like that it's been toned down now. Before, against the blue background (or any of the others you could choose), some people's color choice made their text clash and rendered it invisible. This one seems much cleaner and more professional. I really like it.

Ra,

Edited by -Ra-, 28 October 2010 - 12:52 AM.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:50 AM ( #65 )

Lovin' the flames Ra!

Ya this is a problem others have mentioned. I am thinking it has to do with some caching stuff that we are using to try and keep the site speedy. It seems to be having this odd side effect that I haven't been able to pin down yet. As SK mentioned, waiting a bit seems to help and maybe even clearing your browser cache.

jasen221

• jasen221 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:51 AM ( #66 )

Wow I like the new profiles. It's so awesome! This update is great. But I still kinda miss the new Tama Talk.

I knew the site was updating but when I logged in the day the site was updating I was worrying that it would delete my blog entries. Luckily, that didn't happen. But some BB code in my signature got screwed up after the update and I had to tinker with it for a while to get it back on track. Other than that I don't see any problems with Tama Talk.

EDIT: I was on my blog entry and noticed that all of my entries didn't have the smiley icon at the top of my posts. It had the asleep icon. XD I was just wondering why this is.

Edited by jasen221, 29 October 2010 - 08:53 AM.

wameed98

• wameed98 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:30 AM ( #67 )

I should've taken Screenies of old TT D:

You still got that random youtube video with about a few seconds of old tamachat XD

'/={3

• 3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:22 PM ( #68 )

art and photo album....

jappyx

• jappyx user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Admin Team

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:15 PM ( #69 )

art and photo album....

The photo album isn’t showing at the moment because a new version of the software is coming (hopefully) any day now. Admin decided to wait until the update for the photo album is out before making it live. This should hopefully minimise any problems that could be experienced in upgrading. :)
See Admins post here.

And check out the status log for any updates. :)

Jeakk

• jeakk user photo

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:15 AM ( #70 )

aheeheehee i only just joined and i think it owns hahaha:) but im not sure what it looked like before so i don't mind....oh and to whover said something about serebii...thanks for reminding me...haha time for my daily checkup serebii pwns

ambybug

• ambybug user photo

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:05 PM ( #71 )

No offense but I liked it the other way before!!! When I went to log in I thought I was in the wrong place!!!! Where's the chat?????

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:33 PM ( #72 )

No offense but I liked it the other way before!!! When I went to log in I thought I was in the wrong place!!!! Where's the chat?????

I think it would be beneficial to you to browse around the site. Not much has changed from the old version (at least to me), just a few tweaks here and there. By the way, the chat is up at the top, where it says forums, more, TamaCHAT, settings, and sign out. Also, welcome! :)

Astromeno

• astromeno user photo

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:22 AM ( #73 )

Well, it's not bad! It looks a bit more generic, though (no special "New Post!" icon, etc.).

I hope this would not be too much of a burden, but also have a suggestion for the site: MySkin (where you can change the background, color of toolbars, maybe "TamaTalk" logo, etc. of your forum experience; kind-of like the old skins only the users can change it to their liking).

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:06 PM ( #74 )

Well, it's not bad! It looks a bit more generic, though (no special "New Post!" icon, etc.).

I hope this would not be too much of a burden, but also have a suggestion for the site: MySkin (where you can change the background, color of toolbars, maybe "TamaTalk" logo, etc. of your forum experience; kind-of like the old skins only the users can change it to their liking).

I do want to bring in more customizing for the look of the site (more skins, other customizations, etc)... However, first I am concentrating on getting things "right" as far as how the site behaves and working out the kinks and stuff. Once I am comfortable that things are how they should be then I will spend time adding new stuff.

It has now been exactly one month since we did the upgrade. I have been working a LOT on trying to fix things, make the site faster and looking into new stuff to add. It is time consuming. unfortunately, as the holidays approach, my free time will start to shrink. For now I can't say when these things will happen. :(

TAMAGIRL2008

• tamagirl2008 user photo

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:52 AM ( #75 )

I've pretty much gotten used to the new TT now. I know my way round etc. I do I have one question though. What is the Reputation thing on your profile?

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:05 AM ( #76 )

I've pretty much gotten used to the new TT now. I know my way round etc. I do I have one question though. What is the Reputation thing on your profile?

Hello! Here's some info about Reputation by Admin a few posts up:

It's not quite a Like button... That is the reputation button... We haven't worked out the finer details of reputation yet but it is essentially a community version of karma. We still have karma which is "official" kudos from staff to people... Now with reputation you get to give reputation points to members who post useful stuff. As the points add up their score goes higher and higher. You should be able to see the reputation box on the profile page. The catch? There is a limit to the number of reputation points that can be given out in a day.

• Admin likes this

TAMAGIRL2008

• tamagirl2008 user photo

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:14 PM ( #77 )

^ Oh. Ok. Thanks!

tamacrazy657

• tamacrazy657 user photo

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:22 PM ( #78 )

Omg i havent been on tamatalk in forever :) sup everyone

Ristar

• ristar user photo

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:10 PM ( #79 )

Liking the new software, it even works on my iPhone. Niiice.

Dolphin Girl

• dolphin-girl user photo

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:35 AM ( #80 )

I didn't even notice the change and got used to it in a day. I love the Chat the way it is, less spam. But it has become awfully unpopular :(

PMing was difficult at first, whenever I try to PM my friend, it always says:

"this recipent cannot recieve any new messages"

or something like that. Wierd. It still happens.

†