Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Welcome to the new TamaTalk!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Pikachi

• pikachi user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:05 PM ( #52 )

(Where's the reply button??? I can't fin- Oh. There it is. At the top. Um. No wonder I couldn't find it.)

So I've been away for a while and I got back on and this is what happened:

Me, thinking: Tama talk tama talk... Dum dee du- WHAAAAA!?!?! (at this point, I checked the URL, just to make sure that this indeed was tama talk) Um, um, WHAT??? Oh, uh, log in! Yes! I want to do that! WHY IS MY AVATAR GONE?!? :( Oh, no, it's not gone, just somewhere else.
Um, um, ADMIN! I'M SOOO COFUSED! (And then I had a really nasty thought: What if someone else had taken over Tama Talk and Admin was GONE?!? :o Luckily for me, I found that the site map was in the same place, so I came to the news area and HERE I AM!)

So yes, I realize that this is quite a bit of freaking out over some changes, but I have borderline Asperger's syndrome, so all changes to something I am very used to come as a shock. Even good changes.

Basically, this is going to take some adjusting.

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:44 AM ( #53 )

(Where's the reply button??? I can't fin- Oh. There it is. At the top. Um. No wonder I couldn't find it.)

So I've been away for a while and I got back on and this is what happened:

Me, thinking: Tama talk tama talk... Dum dee du- WHAAAAA!?!?! (at this point, I checked the URL, just to make sure that this indeed was tama talk) Um, um, WHAT??? Oh, uh, log in! Yes! I want to do that! WHY IS MY AVATAR GONE?!? :( Oh, no, it's not gone, just somewhere else.
Um, um, ADMIN! I'M SOOO COFUSED! (And then I had a really nasty thought: What if someone else had taken over Tama Talk and Admin was GONE?!? :o Luckily for me, I found that the site map was in the same place, so I came to the news area and HERE I AM!)

So yes, I realize that this is quite a bit of freaking out over some changes, but I have borderline Asperger's syndrome, so all changes to something I am very used to come as a shock. Even good changes.

Basically, this is going to take some adjusting.

XD Freaking out is completely understandable, especially if you weren't aware that we were upgrading. I probably would have had a spaz too.

There's also an add reply button at the bottom too :D

+[ b r u t a l ]+

• b-r-u-t-a-l user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:32 AM ( #54 )

You know what... I'm glad you said that. I went back and checked the settings and it looks like I forgot to switch on the option to allow everyone to see their own karma! Sorry for that. You should be able to see it now.

Oh, but wait- I can see my own Karma just fine, but not anyone elses ! :P

Am I the only one seeing this? Does this mean that we can't see Karma other than our own?

Diplodocus,

• diplodocus user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:14 AM ( #55 )

Woah, it's different. O___O
Pretty cool though.

TAMAGIRL2008

• tamagirl2008 user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:40 AM ( #56 )

Wow. It's so different! It's a little slower to load now(unless it's just my computer playing up) and there are a few features I'm not used to but I'm sure I'll adjust to it. I do miss the old TT sliiightly but that's because I knew how to use it and such. I love love love this new upgrade though. Chat is a bit boring because it only has 1 room which can get confusing and you can't change the colour of your text or background.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:14 PM ( #57 )

Oh, but wait- I can see my own Karma just fine, but not anyone elses ! :P

Am I the only one seeing this? Does this mean that we can't see Karma other than our own?

I have added this to the bugs list. I will be looking into being able to view everyone else's karma. :)

Wow. It's so different! It's a little slower to load now(unless it's just my computer playing up) and there are a few features I'm not used to but I'm sure I'll adjust to it.

Hopefully not everything is slower. There are actually lots of features that SHOULD make things pretty quick to load. The one exception maybe the main forum index page with the sidebar and everything else. That page is loaiding a LOT of different things. It should be pretty responsive but maybe not the first time you visit the page.

Is anyone else seeing pages load slower than before the upgrade?

GotchiGirl96

• gotchigirl96 user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:17 PM ( #58 )

Yes, I've also noticed that I can see my karma status, but no one else's.

And I have a dial up internet connection, and I have noticed that TamaTalk is loading a lot slower than before the upgrade.

Pikachi

• pikachi user photo

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:04 PM ( #59 )

XD Freaking out is completely understandable, especially if you weren't aware that we were upgrading. I probably would have had a spaz too.

There's also an add reply button at the bottom too :D

Oh. I didn't see that. I'm used to just being able to click reply on the bottom of whatever post I'm on without a quote showing up XD

Doing some exploring today. One of the things I noticed is the "My assistant" thing is gone. Kind of a bummer, I used that one a lot.

'/={3

• 3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:28 PM ( #60 )

um, so when is the art and photo album coming back? :( [img]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://warrior-catz.weebly.com/uploads/3/0/1/8/3018280/7992607_orig.jpg&imgrefurl=http://warrior-catz.weebly.com/warrior-cats.html&usg=__WiHXWVaSZkZnPS1OBJLCQFz8dUs=&h=289&w=386&sz=45&hl=en&start=297&zoom=1&tbnid=Ly9OPcz3M_-fGM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=151&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwarrior%2Bcats%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D910%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C3383&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1552&vpy=546&dur=299&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=143&ty=134&ei=ppjITIXZCsHflgfCj4H2Ag&oei=1ZfITLWAJYP-8AayqtClDw&esq=9&page=5&ndsp=70&ved=1t:429,r:32,s:297&biw=1920&bih=910[/img]

-Ra-

• ra user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:32 PM ( #61 )

Hey Admin,

I don't log in to TamaTalk as often as I used to, but I was pretty surprised to come in today and find the website had a whole new facelift! I believe some of the pros are that the over-all appearance doesn't seem to have changed much, as in the bars are still blue (although now gradient in coloring) and the signature banner logo seems to the usual blue V3, which I'm happy to see remained. Some of the cons, at least for me, has been that everything seems to be rearranged. For instance, I can't seem to locate "My Assistant", which would let you view the active topics, your own last 10 posts etc. It seems to be able to do this, you now have to manually look through, and to find your own posts, you have to go through your profile page. Also, I always liked the TamaChat having that option of "Who's on TamaChat right now?" thing which let you view the people inside before stepping in. Perhaps these are some things which will come with time, but something to keep in mind. :) However, over all, I'd say it isn't as drastic a change as BLM's facelift was, which left everyone overwhelmed and unable to keep up. Well done.

-------------------------
Edit: Hey Admin, I also encountered a new problem. I was trying to personalize my profile by adding an image. However once I tried it out, I saw that it didn't look very good when it got tiled, so I thought I'd change it to something else. Well, that's where my problem started. It seems no matter what I try, it won't let me see my new background image. I asked Mothie to have a look, and she said 'she' could see my new background, but it still looks like the old one to me. At first I assumed it must be my cookies and history, so I cleared it all, but still nothing. So I went in to my setting and tried deleting everything manually, yet once again, it still showed me my old background. I switched to Internet Explorer and tried viewing my profile that way, yet once again, it still displayed my old background.

Maddened with frustration, I restarted my computer, thinking perhaps something was wrong, but that didn't help anything either. In the end I thought I'd remove all customizations and start over again, but once more, when I tried to upload my new image, the old one showed up again. I don't know what's wrong, and it's driving me nuts lol. At that point, I went into the page source code, and I found that the background image it says is currently displayed is this link: http://www.tamatalk..../bgimg-7227.jpg This little red riding hood killing the wolf was my first image, which I thought looked bad once tiled, so I tried uploading a flame image next, but as I said, it just won't let me see it. However, Mothie insists she can see the flame image. Any clues?

Ra,

Edited by -Ra-, 27 October 2010 - 05:32 PM.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:31 PM ( #62 )

[quote name=''/={3' timestamp='1288214934' post='3032015']
um, so when is the art and photo album coming back?
I have been waiting for the newest version of the photo gallery to be released... It should be any day now. Apologies for the delay in waiting. Hopefully everyone will find it worth the wait. :D

@Ra: Many thanks for the items to add to my to-do (or to bring back) list. I like some of the ways they have redone the software but the my assistant function I know is a major change. There is the 'New Content' link in the upper right which covers more than just forum posts... But I know it isn't the same. I will look into it. The who's on chat function is now at the bottom of the main page (below the latest forum visitors list). I am waiting to see which chat system remains before changing that. This is all very much a work in progress so this will all change and evolve. Believe it or not, the BLM change and response remained in my thoughts when approaching this upgrade. :)

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:39 PM ( #63 )

Edit: Hey Admin, I also encountered a new problem. I was trying to personalize my profile by adding an image. However once I tried it out, I saw that it didn't look very good when it got tiled, so I thought I'd change it to something else. Well, that's where my problem started. It seems no matter what I try, it won't let me see my new background image. I asked Mothie to have a look, and she said 'she' could see my new background, but it still looks like the old one to me. At first I assumed it must be my cookies and history, so I cleared it all, but still nothing. So I went in to my setting and tried deleting everything manually, yet once again, it still showed me my old background. I switched to Internet Explorer and tried viewing my profile that way, yet once again, it still displayed my old background.

Maddened with frustration, I restarted my computer, thinking perhaps something was wrong, but that didn't help anything either. In the end I thought I'd remove all customizations and start over again, but once more, when I tried to upload my new image, the old one showed up again. I don't know what's wrong, and it's driving me nuts lol. At that point, I went into the page source code, and I found that the background image it says is currently displayed is this link: http://www.tamatalk..../bgimg-7227.jpg This little red riding hood killing the wolf was my first image, which I thought looked bad once tiled, so I tried uploading a flame image next, but as I said, it just won't let me see it. However, Mothie insists she can see the flame image. Any clues?

Ra,

I don't think a cause has been stated yet, but a way around it is to upload the image you want, and wait a bit.
I had that same problem. It just takes a while to load the right image I guess? o.o

I see the flames too.

-Ra-

• ra user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:44 AM ( #64 )

Hiya Heather! You're right, after several hours, now I can see it as well. Perhaps as you suggested, it just takes a while.

@Ra: Many thanks for the items to add to my to-do (or to bring back) list. I like some of the ways they have redone the software but the my assistant function I know is a major change. There is the 'New Content' link in the upper right which covers more than just forum posts... But I know it isn't the same. I will look into it. The who's on chat function is now at the bottom of the main page (below the latest forum visitors list). I am waiting to see which chat system remains before changing that. This is all very much a work in progress so this will all change and evolve. Believe it or not, the BLM change and response remained in my thoughts when approaching this upgrade. :)

Haha! Sorry, I didn't mean to add more work on your shoulders.=P Thanks for pointing out the New Content link in the upper right, I hadn't even noticed it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make it appear like a button, so it's clearly visible? Or maybe just make the text of it bold? And also thanks for showing me where the chat list is, I hadn't noticed that one either. As for the chat, I really like that it's been toned down now. Before, against the blue background (or any of the others you could choose), some people's color choice made their text clash and rendered it invisible. This one seems much cleaner and more professional. I really like it.

Ra,

Edited by -Ra-, 28 October 2010 - 12:52 AM.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:50 AM ( #65 )

Lovin' the flames Ra!

Ya this is a problem others have mentioned. I am thinking it has to do with some caching stuff that we are using to try and keep the site speedy. It seems to be having this odd side effect that I haven't been able to pin down yet. As SK mentioned, waiting a bit seems to help and maybe even clearing your browser cache.

jasen221

• jasen221 user photo

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:51 AM ( #66 )

Wow I like the new profiles. It's so awesome! This update is great. But I still kinda miss the new Tama Talk.

I knew the site was updating but when I logged in the day the site was updating I was worrying that it would delete my blog entries. Luckily, that didn't happen. But some BB code in my signature got screwed up after the update and I had to tinker with it for a while to get it back on track. Other than that I don't see any problems with Tama Talk.

EDIT: I was on my blog entry and noticed that all of my entries didn't have the smiley icon at the top of my posts. It had the asleep icon. XD I was just wondering why this is.

Edited by jasen221, 29 October 2010 - 08:53 AM.

wameed98

• wameed98 user photo

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:30 AM ( #67 )

I should've taken Screenies of old TT D:

You still got that random youtube video with about a few seconds of old tamachat XD

'/={3

• 3 user photo

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:22 PM ( #68 )

art and photo album....