Photo
- - - - -

A poll about the new TamaCHAT system

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: What are your thoughts on the new chat system here at TamaTalk? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Overall, do you like the new chat system?

1. Yes (37 votes [67.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.27%

2. No (18 votes [32.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.73%

Do you like the new chat system better than the old one?

1. Yes (30 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. No (please explain why in a post) (25 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Have you been having problems being able to use the new chat system?

1. Yes (please explain what kinds of problems in a post) (9 votes [16.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

2. No (46 votes [83.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.64%

Do you think TamaTalk even needs a chat system?

1. Yes (47 votes [85.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.45%

2. No (8 votes [14.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

Vote

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:57 PM ( #1 )

Hello TamaTalkers! I am starting this poll as a way to find out your thoughts on the new chat system introduced with the software upgrade. I know it is different and I am interested to know more of your opinions on how you like it (or don't).

No chat system is perfect. Our last system gave some people problems. I have been reading about the new one giving people problems as well. I'd like to try and identify what kinds of problems we are dealing with.

I'd also like to know which features you do and do not like about the system.

Please take the time to post here because your input really matters in helping to shape our community here at TamaTalk!

PS - I absolutely LOVE the new polling with multiple questions and stuff!

Replies

Views

Started

24 Oct 2010

Last Post

01 May 2011

WarriorOfTheShadowClan

• warrioroftheshadowclan user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:36 PM ( #2 )

The new chat doesn't work for me. So obviously I like the old one better. Not just that, but the new one is just so plain and BLEH :P

dmoquinn

• dmoquinn user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:24 PM ( #3 )

I LOVE the cleaner feel of the new chat. I think there should be two rooms though, just in case you want to talk with people privately.

SugaryGoesRAWR

• sugarygoesrawr user photo

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:46 PM ( #4 )

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about chat.

It's nice and all, but It's a little dull. On the old chat, we could have background pictures and colors, and even have our own colored font.

And, I can't even chat on there anyways, because it slows down the internet, stops the script and then Safari won't work.

memetchi7

• memetchi7 user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:35 AM ( #5 )

HMMM well i would have to say i like the new tamachat better, And u can chat privately with others u just click on their name then click "Start private chat" I do it all the time with my friends on tamachat.

Anyway i like the new changes to tamachat, but im dissappointed that u cant change your text colour or ur background colour i really liked that feature.
Memetchi7 :lol:

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:40 AM ( #6 )

I love the new chat and everything about it. However, I'm a bit biased considering I absolutely hated the chat we had before :/ I remember I was livid when we switched back to that one from a different one.

Tama_dude2010

• tama-dude2010 user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:07 AM ( #7 )

I like the new chat but I think I liked the old one better. You could change your background and text colour and smilie avatar and this is just a boring blue one. :puroperatchi:

Edited by Tama_dude2010, 25 October 2010 - 04:08 AM.

TAMAGIRL2008

• tamagirl2008 user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:50 AM ( #8 )

I have only been on Chat once or twice so I haven't exactly had any problems but I do think it need two rooms for the Tamagotchi fans to talk in one and the non-Tamagotchi fans to talk in the other so there is no confusion and such. I also think, as everyone else has said, that it is a bit boring because you can't change your text colour or background so I think so things would be good. I kind of did like the old chat better because it was a bit more interesting but it doesn't reeaally effect me because I don't use it much.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:15 AM ( #9 )

I was bummed and surprised that the new chat system doesn't allow for multiple rooms. For now, that can't be changed. I'm not sure if a future update will change that. :(

Archangel Gabriel

• archangel-gabriel user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:56 PM ( #10 )

Well, I don't like it because I outgrew Tamagotchi's long before I came here. I'm mainly here because Bored Like Me/NonTT died, and I really don't feel like finding a new forum site. The chat is what I came for 80% of the time, and now that there aren't multiple rooms, I can't walk in without finding a heated debate on whether or not a Tama-Go can be debugged. If we can't have multiple rooms, I say we just go back to the old chat system. I like my orange text and talking about non-tamagotchi things. :P

dmoquinn

• dmoquinn user photo

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:46 PM ( #11 )

Admin, does the chat come with IP board? Are you able to use a different chat service instead of the built in one?

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:01 AM ( #12 )

Admin, does the chat come with IP board? Are you able to use a different chat service instead of the built in one?

Well it isn't free ($20 per year which is a really good price) but it is from the company that makes IPBoard. We can use other systems. The flash chat we had before is affordable but has its own imperfections. There are other chat services available but they are way more expensive.

Ryuk`

• ryuk user photo

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:11 AM ( #13 )

I really want the old chat back :[. This one does look cleaner, but you can't do anything with it! Zero customization, and it lacks that cozy feel the other one had. Some things should never be changed. I'd also like it if it wouldn't screw up my computer. I waited 45 minutes for the chat to load, then I just exited out. Even when I type something in nobody can see what I post. It's really getting on my nerves. Switch back to the old chat, please. The current one is crap IMO. I don't mind it not having more than one room (PM can be used) but this chat...it's just BLEH!

Lee'

• lee user photo

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:23 PM ( #14 )

I MISS JAVA SO MUCH, PLEASE BRING IT BACK.

I like this chat because it works better for me than the old one did with less glitches, but it feels so new so I prefer the old one. But that's how I felt about the old chat, and I got used to it, so I'll probably be used to this one when I start getting on more by Christmas. I guess it doesn't really matter what chat system is used so long as everyone can get on it and can chat.

Sweet Kandi

• sweet-kandi user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:30 PM ( #15 )

Well it isn't free ($20 per year which is a really good price) but it is from the company that makes IPBoard. We can use other systems. The flash chat we had before is affordable but has its own imperfections. There are other chat services available but they are way more expensive.

I don't mean to be nosy, but about how much did the second chat we had cost?
If it's a certain amount per year, I wonder if we can pool the money again like we did for the upgrade. Just a thought.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:10 PM ( #16 )

I like this Chat better than the old one.
It took a little getting used to and I did miss some of the features of the old chat at first, but it works fine for me, no glitches, no freezing, etc.

The Private Message/Conversation tabs are so much better than those irritating pop up boxes we had before.
In the old chat, when you had around 4 or 5 Private Messages popping up you could barely see the screen. This new PM system with tabs is great compared to the old chat.

I don't mind if I can't choose a background colour or a special font / text colour for a couple of reasons; because I am in there to chat (or moderate :P), because without this option members cannot get irritated with others over who "owns" a text colour or who "had/used a text colour first" or who should change their colour because it's "burning" someones eyes or because they can't see it on their background colour ... and because friendly chatting is more important to me than what my text looks like on the screen.

I miss the "taa-maa-got-cheee" sfx when someone enters the room - but thats just a personal thing - I've always been fond of that sfx.

I do think it would be nice if members could use two rooms to chat instead of just one and I feel the pain that some of the Non Tamagotchi chatters are going through.
Of course, most of the regular chatters in the old "Lounge" do also have msn and can "conference" chat with each other or use alternative chat channels like mibbit (which they often did anyway at the same time as being logged into the old TamaCHAT Lounge). In fact the few weeks before the upgrade, the Lounge was pretty empty a lot of the time (compared to normal levels of use) and only the Tamagotchi Talk room was being used regularly.
I will just add that most of the regular chatters from the Lounge have also been polite enough not to complain if the chat in the new room is all about tamas and nothing about Anime/Manga or Music/Bands (for example).

Mothra

• mothra user photo

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:16 PM ( #17 )

It took a while to get used to but I am liking it.
I like that when you land in the room, you can see previous minutes of chat.
I like that you can NOT change the background colors because when people have different background colors, some people end up using font colors that can not be seen!! I'm glad that is gone.
Having some choice of font colors would be nice on a non-changing background. Oh well.

I give an 8 out of 10.

memetchi <3

• memetchi-<3 user photo

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:15 PM ( #18 )

Personally, I like the old chat better. The new chat system is too plain, the old one you could have a customized background but on this one, you can't. Plus last time I used it, it kept on freezing on me. :P So I have a 2.3/10 on the new TamaCHAT.

jasen221

• jasen221 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:17 AM ( #19 )

I really don't like the New chat for three reasons:

There is no "complete" ignore button

The way that you chat is entirely different then before in a bad way (Sorry)

There are no seperate chat rooms.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:16 AM ( #20 )

The way that you chat is entirely different then before in a bad way (Sorry)

I could understand your other two reasons, but I don't understand what you mean by this.
Can you explain a little more clearly/specifically? (In what way do you chat in a different way than before?)