Furbies Scared me as a Child

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did Furbies Scare YOU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Monchi~

Reaction score
Well, when I was a child I had this light pink and yellow Furby.

I loved it so much! The first day I got it I never put it down and constantly played with it. I thought it was the cutest thing ever!

Well, night came. I had my Furby on top of a low bookcase. I fell asleep. Hours later, I was awakened by a loud chirp! It was like, 12:00! I screamed, not knowing what it was, and I looked over running out of bed to turn on a night light. My Furby was staring straight ahead. I was so scared. It suddenly became creepy to me, so I wouldn't even go in my room. I woke up my parents and I asked them to throw it out. Sure enough, they did.

Now all these years later I actually want another one. They're really really cute and funny looking!

Did you have a Furby that scared you?

I was eleven years old when the Furby was released, so it'd be pretty bad if I was scared of it at that age. Having still got my original Furby, I'd say they were more annoying than anything else.

They were an amazing piece of techology back in their day though, and the marketing was spot-on.

I never owned one when they were the big craze back in the late 90s. XD

I was always freaked out by robots, so I never wanted one.

10 years later was when I decided that I wanted them. So I'm a little late to the party. XD

I had one and I loved it! Although I did get creeped out once.

My sister had one as well, and she had got bored of it and tossed it in her closet. One night at around 11pm we heard this crazy screeching noise! Yeah, the furby had gone crazy. It's eyes were opening and closing, and it was making the strangest noises. We had to pry out the batteries to make it stop. It was really weird :0

I wish I still had mine now though. They were fun in a weird way.

One night around 1 am my Furby woke up and started laughing. I was super freaked out!! I took it and ran to the garage and threw it in there carelessly. (hey I was still sleepy) Years later, I was helping my mom clean the garage and I found my Furby! Suprisingly it wasn't damaged!! Now I have it with me once again. ^-^

i have a all black original adult with green eyes. his name is hidan. im 11 and he scares the crap outta me. ;-;

You're not alone. A lot of people are afraid of Furby. Something about the way they're toys but they seem alive. I guess some people see Furby and think of Chucky or something.

I used to like Furbys. In fact if it wasn't for Furby I wouldn't have discovered virtual pets at all. But as much as I am grateful to Furby for getting me into virtual pets I can see how they'd be scary or even annoying. They're pretty loud and they have no off switch and they can sometimes move and speak when you think they're deactivated. My first Furby startled me several times this way.

You're not alone. A lot of people are afraid of Furby. Something about the way they're toys but they seem alive. I guess some people see Furby and think of Chucky or something.

I used to like Furbys. In fact if it wasn't for Furby I wouldn't have discovered virtual pets at all. But as much as I am grateful to Furby for getting me into virtual pets I can see how they'd be scary or even annoying. They're pretty loud and they have no off switch and they can sometimes move and speak when you think they're deactivated. My first Furby startled me several times this way.
I thought Furbys did have an off switch. A while back,my friend was cleaning out her room (I was with her)and I found her old Furby. It wasn't moving or anything,but suddenly I picked it up and it stared at me and started blinking and moving.I fed it,and then it mysteriously went still and quiet again. :eek:

I think Furbys are creepy,and wouldn't buy one,but I could happily baby-sit one.

Furby did have a "off mode" but the bottom... If it was moved. It would wake up. You would cover the sensor (The head thing that was purple/red) for like 10-20 seconds and it would snore into off mode. That base is pretty easy to wiggle or tap. If you had batteries inside it would wake up like you ment to wake it up with a gentle touch. Mine would get bumped or something and start talking between their selfs. (2 furby talking is weird when its not expected....) Me being smart... I faced them so they could "See" each other.

I figure it was the eyes what freaked people out. That and forgetting how easy it was to turn the on mode ... on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Furbys would shut off but the slightest bump would set them off. Later models had deep sleep mode where you could get it to shut down and not move until it was turned upside down. Unfortunately you had to perform a complex series of actions in order to get it to do this ( clap three times, pet back, etc ). I don't know why Tiger Electronics chose to go this route rather than install a simple off switch. If I'm remembering correctly Tiger's other robot line, Poo-Chi were much easier to shut off.

And as for Furbys scaring people I've heard stories of people who were so scared of them when they were working checkout at Wal Mart or whatever if someone came up to buy a Furby one of their coworkers had to step in and make the sale because the original checker couldn't even stand to look at the Furby. They actually had panic attacks when they did.

they dident scare me as a kid i love them and heck im a kid XD

got 2 for $5 at a yardsale

This popping up again makes me wonder if I should have gotten the Furby Baby I saw at a yard sale... But I didn't have change and the weirdo selling wasn't home and trusted people to leave money in a mailbox thing. It was weird... I probably could have just taken it, but I wouldn't feel right about it.

It sucks when stuff like that happens. I saw a FurReal dog at a Yard sale a few weeks ago but since we barely had money for food I couldn't get it.

I thought Furbys did have an off switch. A while back,my friend was cleaning out her room (I was with her)and I found her old Furby. It wasn't moving or anything,but suddenly I picked it up and it stared at me and started blinking and moving.I fed it,and then it mysteriously went still and quiet again. :eek:
Original (1998) Furbys don't have an off-switch.

Emototronic (2005) Furbys do have an off-switch.

I had an original furby ( my mom got it for me even though I wasn't too interested since they look freakish ) and I remember one night while I was sleeping it started talking, but it was all in like... alien devil talk - scared the crap outta me. I had cats, so it's entirely possible a cat bumped it in the middle of the night on my dresser. but holy cow - I was so freaked out. Apparently they start to talk really strange when the batteries start to die, which is what was happening to mine, but guh - the blargs and bleeps and awful screeching - it was definitely terrifying when I was a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back