Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

VOTE! Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: VOTE! Should we allow videos to be included in signatures? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

1. Yes - I want videos in signatures (17 votes [26.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.56%

2. No - I do not want videos in signatures (47 votes [73.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.44%

Vote

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:33 PM ( #1 )

A topic in the Suggestions forum has me wondering about the use of videos in signatures. There has been a recent uptick in people who include a video in their signature and this has many side effects for others who read topics with these included. I'm sure there are many reasons why people may want to allow these and just as many reasons not to. My main concern is I do not want pages to be taking long to load.

Yes, you can go to your options and turn off signatures when reading topics... But should people have to?

So, as with most other decisions made in this community of ours, I'd like people to vote on what they want as well as a healthy discussion about why or why not. Your vote will count in this so please speak your mind and cast your vote!

Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

Replies

Views

Started

02 Feb 2011

Last Post

21 Feb 2011

ShutUpAndSmile

• shutupandsmile user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:58 PM ( #2 )

They kinda bug me. It doesn't affect my load time or anything it's just a little obnoxious to have to scroll down twice as much because someones siggy takes up half of my 7in screen.

phnx0313

• phnx0313 user photo

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:40 PM ( #3 )

^ Second this.

To Add::
There is a character limit in signatures. I thought this was to make sure they do not get too long.
Videos + Text can take up a large portion of the screen. I have seen one or two signature that cover 60% of my 40in w/resolution "1920x1080".
I would assume that someone with a slightly older computer and smaller screen would have to do ALOT of scrolling after wait for loading.

Maybe a Better Idea:: If users want the community to watch a video, there should be an option on the profile?
~Phnx

Edited by phnx0313, 02 February 2011 - 01:43 PM.

ShutUpAndSmile

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:49 PM ( #4 )

Oh and I don't know about anyone else but 99% of the time I wont click on the video..so does anyone look at them anyway? If not there is no point to them anyway.
Isn't it easier to just post the link in your siggy?

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:07 PM ( #5 )

Thank you for considering.

I think it would be nice to still have signatures, but to those abusing the coding and trying to side step the BBCoding... Its really unfair. I know there is a way to block certain BBCodes but I'm not that familiar with a video/music player codes. (Not too much anyway) I'm more into HTML design....

I have a pretty good internet behind me but once people put in a video/music code... It starts to slow down. It gets onto downloading from the site linked. (youtube for instance) It takes the time to download the other linked videos, the embedding codes and related videos as well... Before you even hit play. It drives me insane if I'm not on youtube myself.

MintyDreams7

• mintydreams7 user photo

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:08 PM ( #6 )

I definitely would like to see embedded videos disallowed.

I have a decent computer and broadband internet, and I lag.
I also have a much older computer that can only go up to 800x600 resolution. The scrolling coupled with the lag gets to be rather annoying.

ShutUpAndSmile brings up a good point, too. I know I don't even watch the embedded videos in signatures. If we wanted to watch it, a link would have been just fine.

I believe that users should not have to turn all signatures off just so they won't lag when browsing TamaTalk.

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:42 PM ( #7 )

I stand by my comments made in the Suggestions forum earlier. :D Nay to videos in signatures. I'm all for sharing neat videos and things like this but I feel that a link to the video would suffice, either in the signature and/or the user's profile page (there's a place to list a URL on the main profile page and I would also suggest posting it in the 'About Me' section as another option). I don't feel that others should have to turn off signatures because a lot of members put links to their logs, social networking sites, and other things that they probably would like other members to see there. Thanks, MintyDreams7, for bringing this up and thank you, Admin, for opening this up for discussion within the community. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks about this! :)

The Rollington Express

• the-rollington-express user photo

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:11 AM ( #8 )

My computer is a freaking LAPTOP from a few years ago, and even then it was pretty bad. I have no problem with vids, even though my computer is terrible. I'd hate to see what you guys are using.

Yes, they should stay.

EDIT: Wait, what about the ability to just turn off videos from your profile? If you don't want to see them then you don't. Could that work?

Edited by The Rollington Express, 03 February 2011 - 12:14 AM.

Dolphin Girl

• dolphin-girl user photo

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:48 AM ( #9 )

I don't like people having videos in their signatures because:

It takes up lots of space and slows me down when I'm scrolling and want to see a topic. Also, when my cursor hits the very large square video, I can't use the arrow keys to scroll down. Even the pictures shown at the start can be inappropriate for young children. I don't want to turn the signature showing off because I quite like reading most people's signatures.

mew0099

• mew0099 user photo

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:49 PM ( #10 )

Videos should be allowed but only with permission from an administrator. (PM them with your layout.)
It will make your computer lag. People will be annoyed.

A better idea is to put it on your 'About Me' page.
  • TakoLuka200 likes this

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:27 AM ( #11 )

videos should be allowed in signatures like Mew said only with permission. If it makes computers lag then make something to were the can't see it or it takes it out. You could also provide a link to it. My computer doesn't lag if videos are on but I say that we should allow videos for others to enjoy. Admin please don't take out videos in signatures. If you do how would others feel if they already have videos in their signatures and got it moved or deleted? they would feel angry. because now others can't view the videos. I'm just saying videos should be allowed in signatures.

Edited by tama v9, 04 February 2011 - 08:31 AM.

Astromeno

• astromeno user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:42 AM ( #12 )

I sorta agree with tama v9. I don't want videos in signatures taken away altogether (or banished to user profiles, but maybe there could be a size limit for videos (like the small/thumbnail embeds of YouTube videos, though I don't go on YouTube anyway), or an option for turning off videos in signatures.

Dazzlelitchi

• dazzlelitchi user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:09 AM ( #13 )

I agree with Astromeno and tama v9

We other users should be able to turn off vids in sigs

Also maybe have a section for our profile for vids

If we do have vids in our signatures, can we make it so the vids don't automatically turn on, because I want to read in peace at certain times. I've been on sites where people's vids are sigs and they blare and you have to scroll down to shut it off.

SugaryGoesRAWR

• sugarygoesrawr user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:42 PM ( #14 )

I agree with Mew0099 and the posters below;
I won't type it all out though because It's already been said, but I've seen a user with a video in their signature. No, I won't complain about lag, screen scrolling, etc, etc, etc, but I will say something.
I have never ever bothered to watch those videos. And, if the people aren't going to watch them, it's just wasting their screen space and possibly broadband/internet for no reason. So they could, maybe, but it on their about me, where there's plenty of room. Then, they could put in their signature 'This video has moved to my About Me page' or something (:

ShutUpAndSmile

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:53 PM ( #15 )

Rawer: Thats like exactly what I said. xD I know I've almost never watch a video (unless I knew what it was and was in mood to listen to it (it's happened like once?))

patchis-forest

• patchis-forest user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:06 PM ( #16 )

I'm sorry for posting again, but anyway, I think we should keep the YouTube videos and add a feature call spoiler tags. They help make posts and signatures smaller.

MintyDreams7

• mintydreams7 user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:19 PM ( #17 )

Spoiler tags only hide the content from view, but the content still has to load on the page. It doesn't solve the lag problem.

TakoLuka200

• takoluka200 user photo

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:28 PM ( #18 )

I think we should be able to, but a better idea would be to put it on an About Me tab. (:

furbitchi

• furbitchi user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:03 AM ( #19 )

I like it you can post news about your latest youtube vid or news discoverd on you tube that you really like it is a very handy feature I think

Montanae

• montanae user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:52 AM ( #20 )

I agree with my fellow naysayers above. Why? Well, because:

1) For someone with a small screen, it would take a lot of scrolling to get past the video they probably don't even care about, just to get to the next comment. I used to get very agitated when I had to do that for one person, never mind possibly having to do it for a whole thread.

2) If someone does have a slow connection, that's wasting their time on a video they probably won't even watch. Again, when I had slower connection, I used to stay away from forums that allowed media in the signatures (or free-for-all media in the post), because it would take FOREVER to load. And by the time it got there, I was so upset that I just lost all interest.

3) We probably don't care about the video. I apologize if that sounds rude, but, I don't care enough about any video to have it take up most of my screen and slow my computer down.

4) Why can't a link suffice? A simple link to the video, and a few words saying what it is, should capture my attention enough to get me to watch the video. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But it won't irritate me like having the actual video will. Or, better yet, create a small section (SMALL) on the profile page for one video that the user wants the community to see. (With limitations, of course. Like the auto-scaling of the video, image quality, etc.)

Anyone of those suggestions will do. Or, better yet, let's not have it at all? However, I just really, REALLY don't think that videos should be allowed in the signature. At all.

*muahmuah*

- Nae