Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

VOTE! Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: VOTE! Should we allow videos to be included in signatures? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

1. Yes - I want videos in signatures (17 votes [26.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.56%

2. No - I do not want videos in signatures (47 votes [73.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.44%

Vote

+[ b r u t a l ]+

• b-r-u-t-a-l user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:39 AM ( #21 )

Wellum, I think they're okay as long as they're not overused or anything.
I can't even see the videos anyway. There's just a big white box where the player's supposed to be, and when I drag my cursor over it, a little tab thing pops up.

They do tend to make me scroll down a lot though, and even if I could see them I don't think I'd be interested enough to click on them. \:

Pixiegotchi

• pixiegotchi user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:29 PM ( #22 )

A signature is a body of text you choose to appear at the end of each post you make. You can include your name,web site address,Little messages or any other information you would like to have as a standard way of personalizing your posts. Your signature will appear on all of your posts.
THAT is what a signature should be!. by putting all this other junk in then like avatars and videos just make them too busy!. 99.9% of the time I would never click a video link. not to mention the fact that some youtube videos say that you can't watch the video there and have to open it in a new tab and actually have to be on the site to watch it. Also it makes scrolling through threads and posts TWICE as long. so far i've seen maybe 2 people with them. They are completely useless and unnecessarily bulky. please don't allow them, they are unnecessary bulk in a signature.

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:43 PM ( #23 )

Because tama v9's "Whats on your mind" is becomming a topic itself... I'm bringing it BACK into this forum. I'm copying directly what has been posted since I posted last to save time...

tama v9 I'm tired of you people complaining about videos in sigs! It's not going to kill you because it takes up space! Just because you don't look at them doesn't mean others don't! If this ability gets taken away, I blame people who said we shouldn't have it and STARTED the whole discussion of the problem! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
Today, 02:20 PM · ·

Show all 9 comments

OldSchoolTama Today, 02:41 PM
...and proud of it. ;) I don't really see it as complaining. This issue was opened up for mature discussion among the community. There are pros and cons as well as solutions for both sides.

tama v9 Today, 02:45 PM
I know that OldSchool but I would be really upset if this happened. Because then if someone had one I would have to waste my time going to their profile just to see it. I am trying to be mature about this, but with the risk of the ability being close to being gone(if you look at the votes) I just got a liitle angry...

OldSchoolTama Today, 02:58 PM
I understand your frustration but the point is to have a healthy discussion about it, express your views as much as you can, and let the results speak for themselves. If you've read through all the comments in the topic, many naysayers have suggested that links to videos be posted in the signature instead, which I consider a perfectly valid solution. You wouldn't have to "waste your time" visiting someone's profile by clicking on a simple direct link.

tama v9 Today, 03:04 PM
But I would rather stay in the forums because link take up my tab space and I normally have 3 tabs open. On tamatalk I just have to click on the video. (:

SailorRosette Today, 03:09 PM ·
Guilty. But what if it was you with all the issues? A link would be perfect... You can even special link them to say what it is ...etc.

tama v9 Today, 03:16 PM
I know SR but I don't like links because believe it or not they slow my computer.

Dorkfish04 Today, 03:27 PM
Would there be able to be a spoiler option? I know most forums have it to where it says "Spoiler" and it hides text or links that are within it, but when you click it, it opens up so you can see it all on the page. That way it would be hidden links for people who don't want to see it, but people who do want to watch the videos would still be able to see it on the same page, they'd just have to click the little box and it'd drop down all the text and links that are hidden i...

Dorkfish04
Today, 03:28 PM
*that are hidden inside. I am personally not a fan of the videos in the signatures, but this way it would be a win/win. People could keep videos in their signatures, and people don't have to see them if they don't want to. It's just a one click difference.

SailorRosette Today, 03:39 PM ·
Well the deal is, youtube videos directly start downloading in a video embed code. Regardless you hit the play button. They go look for the related, link those and are downloading the video too. Ever so Rarely do actual Links slow down a computer. If they are all open, then of corse... That WILL slow down the site and anything else you happen to be online with.

Not to cause issues but to INCLUDE this in the topic that was begun for this specific topic...

Also under the request of TamaMum.

Edited by SailorRosette, 05 February 2011 - 02:52 PM.

Autumnfeb

• autumnfeb user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:46 PM ( #24 )

Really, I don't care either way. But perhaps someone could implement a way for one person to turn the videos off, like how one can do with smileys? I haven't worked on a forum in years so I am unsure if that is even possible... But if it is I suppose that could solve the problem?

sood543210

• sood543210 user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:01 PM ( #25 )

Don't put videos! If you do allow them, then you should check each one!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Sugar Bunny ♥

• sugar-bunny-&-9829; user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:06 PM ( #26 )

I don't view signatures as being an appropriate space to link an entire video whereas the profile page could have the potential to be so. Maybe they could also be allowed in the off-topic fourms under certain conditions, too, for those who seem adamant about the matter. In my case, I have a limit of 5GBs of download on my broadband card per month, and that's it; I can't get any better than that in my area. It is an inconvenience for Tamatalk to take up more bandwidth than it should, especially when someone can embed a lengthy video into their signature. Furthermore, I am not compelled to watch any of these videos, regardless of whether or not they are on a profile page, in a signature, and downloading inconspicously to detract from my monthly alotted expenditure.

And that's my two cents.

Ryuk`

• ryuk user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:39 PM ( #27 )

Yes.

phnx0313

• phnx0313 user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:11 PM ( #28 )

Not to seem rude, but while your video might be interesting to you... This does not mean the rest of the community cares to watch.
I personally have NEVER clicked on a TamaTalk video link.
(This includes a video I currently see about Pokemon Black/White which I will be happily preordering.)

Also, if someone with a video in their signature makes multiple posts on the same page... well, you can image the problem.
I usually avoid the logs of people who I know have video's in their signature for this reason. (Not that it matters to them. ^^;; )

If we are allowed to keep signature video... I say the image restriction be changed as well. 300x60 is a very small resolution.
Bandwidth (which is also important) and Scrolling Issues aside, I see little point to the videos.
~Phnx

Slightly Offtopic:: I am trying to figure how to enable signatures on Mobile TamaTalk, but not until this is resolved... bleh. -____-;;

Edited by phnx0313, 05 February 2011 - 08:13 PM.

Dorkfish04

• dorkfish04 user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:39 PM ( #29 )

Not sure if this has been said yet or not BUT....

In some forums they have a spoiler code option. The code is
Spoiler

it shows up as a bar that you click to see the hidden content. It would be a win/win if it were something like that. It would hide the massive videos in signatures, but people would still get to keep them.
Those who don't want them won't have to see them unless they click the "Spoiler bar" and those who want them will only have to make one extra click.
When clicked, the hidden content appears on that same page just like a drop down thing, it's not a tabbed or linked thing.

EDIT: After submitting my post, I saw that we DO have the spoiler option.

Edited by Dorkfish04, 05 February 2011 - 09:42 PM.

MintyDreams7

• mintydreams7 user photo

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:57 PM ( #30 )

As I mentioned on the previous page, the spoiler tags only hide the content from view.
And unless TamaTalk's spoiler tags are very different from other forums, the tagged content still loads itself on the page each time the page is loaded.
Putting embedded videos behind spoiler tags does nothing to solve bandwidth and lag issues.

and if you're going to hide it like that in the end, what is the point of embedding the video in the first place?
You can save people their bandwidth and just use a link.

Edited by MintyDreams7, 05 February 2011 - 09:59 PM.

SailorRosette

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:01 PM ( #31 )

As I mentioned on the previous page, the spoiler tags only hide the content from view.
And unless TamaTalk's spoiler tags are very different from other forums, the tagged content still loads itself on the page each time the page is loaded.
Putting embedded videos behind spoiler tags does nothing to solve bandwidth and lag issues.

and if you're going to hide it like that in the end, what is the point of embedding the video in the first place?
You can save people their bandwidth and just use a link.

Agreed. It still loads regardless the play button is played.

As phnx0130 said: It makes scrolling annouying, as some people post more then once a page...

FKOD

• fkod user photo

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:32 PM ( #32 )

Videos in signatures? This is the first time I've ever seen people be able to do that... and there's a good reason, too. When people are browsing a forum, they usually care more about what's in the posts than what's in the signature. Now, I'm not saying that people ignore signatures, but they're more like a lady's purse. If you see a girl with a purse, you pay more attention to the girl, right? But if the girl had a screen playing a movie stuck to the side of her purse (very literal metaphor, I know), and you're just passing her by on the street, would you stand there and watch the movie? No, you're too busy going to Wal-Mart, right? Signatures shouldn't be all super-flamboyant and distracting. They're just an accessory to the post, that's all.

And consider this: since most people don't care about the videos they see in people's signatures (as a fairly large number of people against signature videos have mentioned), and TamaTalk isn't the biggest forum ever on the interwebs, you end up getting two, maybe three extra views on these videos? I don't think that bogging down everyone's internet connection is worth a couple of people watching your video. There are better ways to get people interested in your videos, seriously. So unless videos are either banned from signatures or we get a feature to turn them off, I think these videos are pretty much a terrible idea.
  • MintyDreams7 and ShutUpAndSmile like this

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:20 PM ( #33 )

I feel really stupid trying to help keep videos in signatures. People are still going to say no and videos will be gone. I might leave because all of the fun stuff is probably going away. If we lose it...... GOOD-BYE TAMATALK!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tama v9, 07 February 2011 - 03:22 PM.

ShutUpAndSmile

• shutupandsmile user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:24 PM ( #34 )

v9: Thats being a little dramatic? They're only taking away one thing.

Like everyone is saying no one watches them. They are annoying for people who don't have the best internet. Or like in my case one of my laptop screens in only like 7in big so the video alone takes up my whole screen. A link would suffice. I know I'm more likely to click on a link in a siggy and keep it on then if it was just a video. You should be able to post it on your profile or a link in your status. Thats enough if you want to get the word out.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:37 PM ( #35 )

I feel really stupid trying to help keep videos in signatures. People are still going to say no and videos will be gone. I might leave because all of the fun stuff is probably going away. If we lose it...... GOOD-BYE TAMATALK!!!!!!!!!!!

While I hate to see anyone leave TamaTalk I have to balance your comment against those who may stop visiting because it gets to be a pain to read a topic because of the lag and a ton of large videos sprinkled throughout a topic page.

Hopefully your source of fun on this site goes beyond reading signatures.

Let's please try and maintain the mature discussion of this so that we can continue to shape what we want our community to be like.

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:44 PM ( #36 )

Sorry Admin. Its just that I want videos to stay and because I was mad at *name here* for bringing it up and now we might not have them. Also my reading does go beyond the signatures, when it comes to the videos I would rather look at them on TamaTalk then go to the About me page or use a link because I just have to click the video.

chollands

• chollands user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:50 PM ( #37 )

just to say your saying you dont like the lag from direct links when i qoute "I don't care what people say! Videos will STAY!!!!!! If your computer lags, Deal with it! Stop being so Immature about lagging!" your being a bit of a hipocrit (not to be offensive)

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:56 PM ( #38 )

just to say your saying you dont like the lag from direct links when i qoute "I don't care what people say! Videos will STAY!!!!!! If your computer lags, Deal with it! Stop being so Immature about lagging!" your being a bit of a hipocrit (not to be offensive)

okay that was just offensive Chollands. I know what I'm saying but I'm not complaining about links. I'm saying we should keep videos.

SailorRosette

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:02 PM ( #39 )

Actually... Doesn't matter to whom started this. We were marely making a honest idea to share. I agreed with it as I was about to make a topic of this myself... So don't get urked over someone making a mere idea and sharing it to be discussed over.

Last I knew, Tamatalk was for sharing nice converations, friendships and what we enjoy about our tamas. Ya, sure many people love videos... (I mean we all do... ) but in the long run, that is for youtube, or where-ever respectivly your video has come from. Not in the signatures that repost every post you make. If you post a few times a page, it gets really lengthy. Not only are you posting them in your signatures... But you aren't even thinking about resizing the video. (It CAN be done, resizing, its easy too)

I almost think having an embedded code of ....in short is an image... They break the rule of 300x60 set by our admin team. The rule was set for a limit. Rules aren't ment to be broken, even by an embedded video. Having this is (to me) and allowing it seems to allow the set rules to be broken.

UGH. I'm NOT trying to be mean/rude/angry/etc here. ;)

Edited by SailorRosette, 07 February 2011 - 04:05 PM.

graficks

• graficks user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:03 PM ( #40 )

I think it's important to cater to all users here at Tama Talk - as we are all equals and respect should be given appropriately. I currently do not have a video embedded in my signature, and I stand my ground that embedded video (anywhere) tends to generally "slow" everything down. That said, out of respect to my counter-parts who wish for embedded video signatures to stay, perhaps there is an option that can be set in a users profile that would allow that user to browse the forum without having to view another users video signature?

Most users that do not want embedded video signatures are making their decision based on their browsing experience - they don't watch the videos and the videos often lead to a very crowded and "long scrolling" thread. This is where I stand.

Most users that want to keep embedded video signatures wish to share something they feel is fun, relevant and interesting to them. Most users that are wanting to keep videos will more than likely watch other users' videos. I don't dispute this wish as all Tama Talk users have a fair say.

We have to be respectful of each other here - and keep in mind that not every user has the same internet experience. Some users are on dial-up, some are on high speed, some are at school, while others are at work or on their mobile. To keep Tama Talk the fun place it is, we need to take everyone's wishes into consideration and deal with it so that everyone is happy. If the option can be coded into the site where a user has the option of turning video signature on or off, it could be a very effective solution.

Edited by graficks, 07 February 2011 - 04:05 PM.

• TamaMum likes this