Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

VOTE! Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: VOTE! Should we allow videos to be included in signatures? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we allow videos to be included in signatures?

1. Yes - I want videos in signatures (17 votes [26.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.56%

2. No - I do not want videos in signatures (47 votes [73.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.44%

Vote

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:05 PM ( #41 )

Sailor I would if I knew how.

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:15 PM ( #42 )

width="640" height="390"

These need to change to lower numbers. Usually 230 by 270... Smaller the better though if you plan to change the one in your sig. You just need to find the width and the height spot. Its rught before the search link to the pokemon video...

So change 640 to 230 and 390 to 270...

You can make the player smaller too, everything will still show if you choose to make it smaller.... Since its only a music clip into a video piece... I would recommend smaller even.

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:18 PM ( #43 )

where is that option? because i don't see it.

Edited by tama v9, 07 February 2011 - 04:20 PM.

SailorRosette

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:20 PM ( #44 )

Its in the code itself that you used to put it in your sig. The full embed code. Its near the front. There isn't an option, you change the numbers yourself in the code. Its pretty simple... change the numbers and save.

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:24 PM ( #45 )

don't see the numbers.

SailorRosette

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:28 PM ( #46 )

Did you see my PM I sent?

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:29 PM ( #47 )

Yes and it did not resize it.

-EbilKitteh-

• ebilkitteh user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:31 PM ( #48 )

I have a mixed view on this. Yes, people should be able to put what they want in their signatures as long as it is not rude or profound, but it does interrupt other's.

There should probably be an option to hide them, if they are kept.

Personally, my parents computers are 'new' and don't lag a bit. Well, maybe a bit, but we ignore that. But me and my brothers computer is old and is 6 years old. Well, it's broken at the moment, but when I used it sometimes I did get annoyed of all the things people put in their sigs. It wastes my time, everyone's time.

yattatchi425

• yattatchi425 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:31 PM ( #49 )

vids should be in siggys. *Comment removed. Please remember to keep posts productive and friendly.*

Edited by OldSchoolTama, 07 February 2011 - 09:57 PM.

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:32 PM ( #50 )

technically its the computers fault for being like that.

-EbilKitteh-

• ebilkitteh user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:34 PM ( #51 )

... Yattatchi, it isn't.

If you say that, I will get angry; not on purpose. And I can't really control myself. Ask one of my friends from a different website.

Anyway, would you like it if someone had a really big video and you have small broadband to last you for a long time, and a slow computer? Broadband is pretty expensive; so are new computers!

V9; I guess it is, But you can't blame them. We are the ones who put all this stuff on the web, and make them do it. It's like.. Blaming a person for running a giant marathon, and they start slowing down because of other people.

Edited by -EbilKitteh-, 07 February 2011 - 04:36 PM.

Pixiegotchi

• pixiegotchi user photo
  • Group: Account Closed

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:35 PM ( #52 )

Admin should really just close the topic and deal with it the way he see's fit. the topic and discussion has gotten out of hand and is causing a lot of conflict......

SailorRosette

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:38 PM ( #53 )

Nope... You pasted the normal version embed back on it. Oh well.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="230" height="159" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sFpcHbrhoGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Try that one....

Atleast for time being until people really decide on what is to happen of the videos... That one is much smaller... For a video player with just music... That is a way better size for you.

Edited by SailorRosette, 07 February 2011 - 04:41 PM.

phnx0313

• phnx0313 user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:39 PM ( #54 )

Dear Rose... your post was lovely.
May I commend both you AND Graficks for being mature about this?

I am watching this spill over into Status... I hope there is decision soon.
This thread is causing many bad bloods.

Try the Spoiler Tag Tamav9. See if that works for you.
Also... To tell someone it is their computers fault or to "Buy a new computer" is NOT a solution.
~Phnx

Edited by phnx0313, 07 February 2011 - 04:43 PM.

• Pixiegotchi likes this

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:06 PM ( #55 )

The current signature videos are made by posting just the url to the video and not the embed code (that allows you to change the sizing) so making them smaller is, unfortunately, not an option.

Great point in comparing the size of the videos to the signature image sizes... I hadn't even considered that comparison. Hmm...

As far as this discussion goes... I hope this isn't something we start to fight about. Discussions/debates aren't supposed to cause people to get angry. We are all one community here and we need to remember we are trying to have mature discussions amongst friends... No fighting needed. :D Sometimes we'll get the decision we want and other times we won't but in the end we are still here to make this community a better one.
  • TamaMum likes this

cpvr

• cpvr user photo

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:26 PM ( #56 )

I don't think so - even if there's an option to take it off. Videos will slow down the loading of the pages - some people aren't on fast connections.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:22 AM ( #57 )

Admin should really just close the topic and deal with it the way he see's fit. the topic and discussion has gotten out of hand and is causing a lot of conflict......

Perhaps everyone should just remember to keep calm and try to follow site rules when they post their replies? That would work just fine.
Then the moderators wouldn't have to edit or delete rudeness, spam or off topic replies ;)

It would be a shame to close the topic before a variety of members have had a chance to contribute their opinion. After all, this isn't about just one person getting their own way just because it suits them - it's about trying to find a way to solve the problem some members obviously have with lag on their computers when videos are embedded in signature messages.
  • Sugar Bunny ♥ likes this

SailorRosette

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:05 PM ( #58 )

The current signature videos are made by posting just the url to the video and not the embed code (that allows you to change the sizing) so making them smaller is, unfortunately, not an option.

Great point in comparing the size of the videos to the signature image sizes... I hadn't even considered that comparison. Hmm...

As far as this discussion goes... I hope this isn't something we start to fight about. Discussions/debates aren't supposed to cause people to get angry. We are all one community here and we need to remember we are trying to have mature discussions amongst friends... No fighting needed. :D Sometimes we'll get the decision we want and other times we won't but in the end we are still here to make this community a better one.

Then that would explain why helping to shrink the video didn't work... hahaha. Figures, didn't even think of it just using the direct link. I'm used to the embedding codes.

Really? Thats what I was wondering when they first popped up in the forums... "Isn't that sorta like... breaking image size the rules?" Humm...

tama v9

• tama-v9 user photo

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:15 PM ( #59 )

I have decided to take out the video because it is now.... don't judge me, messing up the CPU.

Bunny_grl07

• bunny-grl07 user photo

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:39 PM ( #60 )

Personally, I think that users shouldn't put videos in their signatures.
I think hyperlinks look more organized, and they don't stretch out the page as much. And, since there's really only one size for youtube video players, videos tend to exceed the image size limit.