Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Tamagotchi Spirit

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

YodelingToast

• yodelingtoast user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:53 AM ( #35 )

So sad :( I remember I used to be so irresponsible about pets. Then when I was 3 (my parents were stunned) I managed to tame an extremely bitey and evil cockatiel, who became so smitten with me, he would try to feed me and followed me around the house. Then my parents heard about Tamagotchis, and since I loved pets, I got a tama when I was 6. It taught me how to care for pets, and right now my parents never worry about me getting new pets because I'm so responsible with them. I'm never told to feed and water the dog and cat, to walk my dog, to play with him, to hang out with him, to love and play with my cat, to play with my birds, let them out for 2 hours a day, bring the cage into the sunshine outdoors to give the birds some fresh air, or to clean cages and fish tanks. Soon I will be getting a catfish (personal pet for my sea-themed room), a hermit crab (the tropical part of my room), and a German Shepherd dog, my absolute favorite dog breed ever!!!! My dog is getting old and is slacking off his guard dog duties, and I'd love to teach a GSD tons of tricks and have an actual puppy to take care of and be a companion to.
Basically, Tamagotchi is what got me into taking care of and loving animals. I'm obsessed with tamas and animals now. I have hundreds of animal care books, and it's bringing me to want to be a veterinarian, or a horse dentist or something with animals. It's sad that these days Tamas are "outdated" or "childish" because it does teach little kids how to take care of things and love them... and if you don't take care of a tama, it's the same outcome in real life (only real life is a lot worse), you get a really bad character, or one that doesn't listen or "love" you in its pixelly world. I still love tamas. Forever and always.
I recently looked for a TamaGo in Walmart, and there's usually this rack of electronics that are really old, outdated, overpriced, and unpopular, and Walmart brings the price down. There, on the bottom rack, were TamaGos.

Edited by YodelingToast, 21 July 2011 - 10:56 AM.

• Tamagirl1124 likes this

SmokeAndMirrors

• smokeandmirrors user photo

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:03 PM ( #36 )

I recently looked for a TamaGo in Walmart, and there's usually this rack of electronics that are really old, outdated, overpriced, and unpopular, and Walmart brings the price down. There, on the bottom rack, were TamaGos.

The Tama Go wasn't even released in the UK and you can't find Tama's here anywhere..
In the UK, the Tamagotchi spirit isn't dying, it's already dead.

Gerbiltchi

• gerbiltchi user photo

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:39 PM ( #37 )

The Tamagotchi spirit is definitely dying. What I really wish is that Bandai wouldn't advertise for only a younger audience. What they don't seem to realize is that many people who truly care about Tamagotchis aren't ages 6-8; they are people in their teens, 20's, and 30's who probably grew up with them. Sure, kids will want the Tamagotchis and convince their parents to get them, so Bandai will make a good profit, but with the way technology is going, they'll be tired of Tamas in no time and start to care more about more advanced technology (Nintendo DS, iPads, cell phones, etc.). Then sales will decline because kids won't be wanting Tamagotchis. Meanwhile, older fans have to deal with people who are saying that Tamagotchis are kiddish and discouraging them from using them.

Purimatchi!

• purimatchi user photo

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:52 PM ( #38 )

i Agree with Graphics first post in this topic! i still paly with my tamagotchi's and love it!!! but i think they are losing there appeal! as much as i'd hate to say it!

dazzilitchigirl

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:32 PM ( #39 )

Omg, it's so bad in UK, I ony know 1 person there who owns a Tama and still she doesn't know any characters or anything!

And OMG What would you say if you came to NZ? NOBODY has a Tama here. EVERYBODY'S parents hate them. I have seen 1 person in NZ who had a Tama besides myself and my brother in my whole life.

I have never heard the word "Mametchi" let alone "Ura-

WHOA.

UraWhoatchi isn't a new Tama characters, it's just that, just as I was typing my reply someone knocked on my door. It was my friend, coming to visit. She'd brought one of her friends with her to my house. I showed them both into my room. Then the girl my friend had brought along said "hey, you have Tamagotchis!". I was totally stunned to here that work spoken properly without me teaching them how to pronounce it. "Yes, do you have any?" I asked and I realised I was literally shaking with excitement. This girl was 12 years old. She was a possibility of a real-life friend who goes on TamaTalk. "Yes, I have four. A version one, two version threes and a version four" she said. "What's the version 1 like?" I asked. "I haven't tried it". "It's just playing games and feeding it. Pretty boring" she said. "Do you go on Tamagotchi webiste?" she asked. I felt like my heart was doing thumping flips. "Yes, you mean TamaTown or...(I couldn't bring myself to think she might be a TamaTalker). "Yes, TamaTown, the one with bands and stuff". "What's your ID?" I asked.

Anyway, she didn't know her ID by heart and didn't want to know mine. But it just proves that these people do pop up, it's just luck to find them.

dazzilitchigirl

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:40 PM ( #40 )

@Pikaluvz
I'm in the same boat,"What's that?"and "Oh hey I remember those..."are the things I hear people say the most.I only have 1 Tama crazy friend like me even though all of my friends had tamas at some point.In my school now,students get caught for texting in class not playing with a tamagotchi.I wish more people were into tamas where I am so I can connect with more people.Maybe if Bandai was better about advertising Tamagotchi then the spirit would be more...alive.It's still here but not as much as it used to be.How many times have you gone to the grocery store lately and seen a person with a Tamagotchi?I haven't seen one.

This makes me remember the good "old" days back in 2006 and 2007, when I was 5 or 6 and I took my Tamas into school every day when they were allowed. I connected with others and my Tama's friend list was full to bursting. I remember having to delete people to make room for others. I remember the time my friend taught me to pause it, and the time when all the Year One girls stood in a circle connecting Tamas.

Nowadays, my Tamas are lonely, crying out for the attention I lack giving them and also crying out for friends. I haven't connected with anyone else except my brother in years. I wish the Tamagotchi spirit was back and I had tons of people on my friends list again and I could find one person who knows the word "Mametchi".

nekopan

• nekopan user photo

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:54 AM ( #41 )

Omg, it's so bad in UK, I ony know 1 person there who owns a Tama and still she doesn't know any characters or anything!

I think the reason is probably cause of BanDai not giving enough tama events,not releasing new versions fast enough etc. Here in the UK, there are actually plenty of people who used to love tamas,but since nothing new came out,we all forgot about them. I've only come back to tamas recently,when I found my old one lying around,along with all my other vpets. If you need more proof,check out BanDai UK's Tamagotchi section of the website..they don't have one.

RubyKuchipatchi98

• rubykuchipatchi98 user photo

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:20 AM ( #42 )

I'm afraid this is every kind of gadget's fate. They are really popular for a short while and then everyone grows out of them. It's life. Some people are still whining about the tamagotchi spirit being gone. No offence, but said people need to stop sticking their heads into the past and move on. If they want a tama club, they can just chat to everyone on here!

Though, I do feel your sadness. I miss the early days of the tamagotchi craze, too. Finding someone who has a tamagotchi nowadays is like finding a panda.

nekopan

• nekopan user photo

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:39 AM ( #43 )

Finding someone who has a tamagotchi nowadays is like finding a panda.

Maybe not that rare. Maybe finding someone with a tamagotchi is like finding a....ladybird/ladybug? Not that rare,but difficult to spot.

kuromametchifan123

• kuromametchifan123 user photo

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:38 AM ( #44 )

This makes me remember the good "old" days back in 2006 and 2007, when I was 5 or 6 and I took my Tamas into school every day when they were allowed. I connected with others and my Tama's friend list was full to bursting. I remember having to delete people to make room for others. I remember the time my friend taught me to pause it, and the time when all the Year One girls stood in a circle connecting Tamas.

Nowadays, my Tamas are lonely, crying out for the attention I lack giving them and also crying out for friends. I haven't connected with anyone else except my brother in years. I wish the Tamagotchi spirit was back and I had tons of people on my friends list again and I could find one person who knows the word "Mametchi".

This exactly^ I used to have so many people on my tama's friend lists' but now it all the same on each tama.Two of my own and my one Tama Crazy friend has at least 1 on there too.There used to be some on there that I didn't even know who it came from.And as for the word Mametchi?"Meh-mat-chi?" "Mahhh-neh-tchi?" *faceplam* "Its Mametchi.".No one knows what I mean by "v4" or "v3" now,only "text" or "talk". It's sad. I'd be lucky to find someone who REMEMBERS tamagotchi,meeting another person who still uses one is like finding a needle in a haystack.

robodog

• robodog user photo

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:31 PM ( #45 )

It doesn't have to be every gadget's fate though. Tamagotchis, like every other gadget, have the ability to improve as technology does. Computers are many times better than they were when they started being sold in the 70s and 80s. Tamagotchi has the same potential. If the Tamagotchi Spirit is dissapearing it isn't Tamagotchi's fault, it's Bandai's. They could improve the technology, make them better and more involved. And they can advertise. I watch Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and The Disney Channel all the time. I see ads for all manner of useless plastic trinkets but I never see ads for Tamagotchi. If they released the color Tamas here and actually advertised the things they might actually become popular again. As it is now even if there are people out there who would enjoy Tamagotchi they wouldn't even know they're out there.

RubyKuchipatchi98

• rubykuchipatchi98 user photo

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:01 AM ( #46 )

It doesn't have to be every gadget's fate though. Tamagotchis, like every other gadget, have the ability to improve as technology does. Computers are many times better than they were when they started being sold in the 70s and 80s. Tamagotchi has the same potential. If the Tamagotchi Spirit is dissapearing it isn't Tamagotchi's fault, it's Bandai's. They could improve the technology, make them better and more involved. And they can advertise. I watch Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and The Disney Channel all the time. I see ads for all manner of useless plastic trinkets but I never see ads for Tamagotchi. If they released the color Tamas here and actually advertised the things they might actually become popular again. As it is now even if there are people out there who would enjoy Tamagotchi they wouldn't even know they're out there.

Good point. If they stopped advertising and treating tamagotchis like they're for 3 year olds, maybe we'd get a wider audience of tamagotchi fans. It's just the same thing every version with it's own unique features or upgrades. They need to find a new niché to recapture the heart and soul of tamagotchi, or atleast draw some new players in. Once you've got every single character, tamas get exceptionally boring. They need to somehow make the fun last more than just getting every character.

Even if they do address some of these hitches, Tamagotchi will never reach it's former glory ever again. People have moved on. They have iPods, phones and laptops now. Most of the only true fans are the fans of the older generations that hung on to tamagotchis, or bratty children. Bandai probably won't even listen to us, considering how selfish they are. Bandai is failing a toy that has good potential. Adverts would certainly help out the franchise.

If they did release the colour tamagotchis, I wouldn't say they'd make a huge turning point but it would atleast give fans something to play with while Bandai stalls them with a Tamago V2 or something.

Tamatalk is a really strong community of tamagotchi fans. Tamatalk is almost exclusively the tamagotchi fanbase nowadays. I don't think Bandai would make a new tama just for us, though. They need more than a few thousand fans.

Edited by RubyKuchipatchi98, 24 July 2011 - 07:05 AM.

'/={3

• 3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:34 AM ( #47 )

..................... ....... They should re- release the old ones.

'/={3

• 3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:36 AM ( #48 )

Lets send this fourm to bandai. Serious.

robodog

• robodog user photo

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:45 AM ( #49 )

I would love it if they rereleased the Angel Tamagotchi since I never actually had one. I got all my original Tamas on clearance at KB toys and by the time I got there all the Angels were already gone.

Space Unicorn

• space-unicorn user photo

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:35 PM ( #50 )

It's really sad that there is no tama spirit where I live. I went to Target, asked if they had any Tamagotchi Tamatowns or the figures, the lady looked at me and said "I'm sorry but I have no idea what those are" So I went and asked the man there, he said he used to play with those and called them little games. He asked me how to spell it ( T_T ) searched them in his thingy and said that there were none left. I went over to the toddlers isle and spotted a Kuromametchi figure, I went all spazz grabby hands and people looked at me as if to say "What in the world is she doing in the toddler isle?" I showed the man that there was some over there and he said they were on clearence to go and they don't show up. When I bought it, the cashier lady thought I was buying a present for a younger sibling.

If everyone knew about Tamagotchi, someone would've gladly led me to them but no, I happen to pass by the toddler isle while walking to the door and I see a figure. Typical.

kuromametchifan123

• kuromametchifan123 user photo

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:10 PM ( #51 )

Lets send this fourm to bandai. Serious.

I'll send it.I miss the days when you would go out shopping and you saw 30 people with tamagotchis.*sigh* Now it's all Bluetooth and iPhone and crap.You would see more people walking around with phones glued to their ears rather than checking on a tamagotchi.I say we all clutter Bandai's customer support inbox with links to this topic.They need to start advertising more and maybe making tamas for all ages and everyone again.Not sparkly pink with rainbows or something.I'm a girl but i'd rather not feel like a 3 year old walking around with something that has sparkles and rainbows or...glitter *shivers*.