Modern Pop

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Reaction score
Since there's no topic to discuss modern pop, I decided to make one. So here it is. :3 This is the place to discuss anything you hear on your local radio station that plays the hits and anything you see on Billboard. In other words, do not discuss j-pop or old pop from the 80's here.

Anyway, I'm totally addicted to Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO right now. I love that song soo muccccchhh.

And Pitbull. He's my fav pop male singer. I love Hey Baby (Drop It To The Floor). It's such an underrated song. Stupidbieberwhoblocksoutallthegoodmaleartist'ssongs... >:I

Oooh ya.... I'm over Beiber... Totally. I was when he first showed up on youtube for the first time...

They have so many good songs right now... My station somehow went national or something with it all on it... You can listen to it online, raidio (If you are local...) and I'm sure it pops up elsewhere because of who is running it... Some MTV dude I can't think of right now.

Justin Bieber is my life.

LMFAO are pretty horrible but I like their older stuff which topped the charts maybe a few years ago.

I don't know, I'm not overly into modern pop music, some of it is decent but most of it is intolerable.

OMG I read this and I was totally weirded out because I am listening to Party Rock Anthem right now I am not even joking.
huh.gif
ohmy.gif

Can anyone do any of the shuffles for Party Rock? I can do 3 of 'em. The Running Man.. That weird foot thingy.. The other foot thingy..

I don't really listen to the radio anymore because I find a lot of the music intolerable, and the songs I do like come on maybe once an hour.

And I gotta admit, I actually like Bieber :)

The only evidence I can post about music changing very quickly is this. :hanatchi:

[VIDEO]

//www.tamatalk.com/IB/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png[/VIDEO]

I agree I just listed to this then I whent to a song that is on the top the chart EVERYWHEREits moves like jagger by maroon 5 its so upbeat and catchy and its more pop then take a chance on me XDhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEPTlhBmwRg&ob=av3e :hanatchi: :babytchi:
Indeed. Music back from the sixties/seventies/eighties was very raw and in a sense "soul"-filled. At that time, editing applications such as autotune weren't even heard of. c:

Then we travel back to the late nineties and early 2000's. It is so very easy for anyone to be world-wide artists due to computer editing.

I guess with this we realize that people back in the day were much more talented than those who are in the industry as of right now. However, that statement does not cover everyone. Singers such as Lady Gaga, for instance, sings very will live. ;)

Wait... this is a topic about Modern Pop.

Runner just asked everyone to voice their thoughts about Modern Pop and specifically not to harp back to stuff from the 80s.

(Show some respect, eh) :p

I guess it comes down to what we all define as "pop" music.

I'm not interested in getting into one of those "this group is pure pop - that group's just a different genre masquerading as pop..." kinds of discussions.

So... does "Indie" count as pop music? - it's upbeat and popular (usually). I'm a fan of Vampire Weekend, the Hoosiers, Scouting for Girls - do they count?

I like several LMFAO tracks - but if I am honest, it's the videos that I rate more than the music itself (although every one of their tracks seems to have the kind of beat that makes me want to dance.... every day I'm shuffling)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indie isn't a genre. Indie is short for independent and means that the band isn't signed on to a major commercial label.

See...? This is exactly why I am cautious about the definition of types of music, what's "pure" or "real" and what is not.

So much is down to opinion (as well as fact).

What you say is true, but (apparently) it is also considered a genre (or at least a sub genre) of music with specific styles of beat, specific dances etc. :p

Examples: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=indie+pop / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_pop

So... perhaps I should rephrase the question: does Indie pop count as pop music? XD

So... perhaps I should rephrase the question: does Indie pop count as pop music? XD
Unless a specific Indie song can make the Billboards for Pop music, no.

Only things that make the Billboard for hits and your local super pop music radio (Example: Kiss FM, for people in America). Like, OneRepublic would normally be considered rock or alt, but since it's songs are so popular they make the pop charts, it's k to discuss em here.

If you dunno what's on the Billboard, I'll post this year and last year's lists:

2010 year end list of 100 songs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_2010

This year's top 10 so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_top_10_singles_in_2011

Guys, please try to discuss songs and artists that have been popular within a three year range.

Well music popular decades ago contributes to modern pop immensely, hence why I posted that ABBA song. I simply wanted to show the signs of difference between these musical eras. :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back