Anyone else think the iD L is as much of a failure as the TMGO?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here are reasons why the iD L is a real disappointment for me:

1. It SUCKS that they made you need to play a million games to fill the Happiness, and made it stay a baby for so long.

2. It is super easy to get Perfect Care characters.

3. Perotchi is hideous, and so are many of the other characters.

4. The relationship between care and characters is just so muddled! I mean, take when you get a Sabosabotchi teen. You need 0 Care misses to get an awful Perotchi and to get the once-ranked-at-perfect-care Violetchi you need SIX OF THOSE NEGLECT THINGS! Not fair! Violetchi is adorable and I hate neglecting them!

5. Too girly. I mean, Perfect Care of a Painaputchi teen = Lovelitchi. They took out some other boyish characters, like the ancient Whaletchi and Androtchi. The only boyish characters are obtained with horrible care. Also, look at the sparkly faceplate and the diamond and star decorations whereever they can fit them in! Look at the pink remodels and the special characters! No boys would want to unlock Henshin Jo!

Yes I am a girl, but I still complain about boys not having their fair share. So what do you think? Personally, I strongly do not recommend the iD L to anyone at all. Most of us love it, but why?

I have mixed opinions. No, I don't have one yet. And yes I am a boy. First about the design of the egg, it is overly girly. And by designing it that way they did loose basically all of their male costumers, except for us few who love Tamas so much they can get over. But, we don't know. Maybe they realized that that is their only male consumers so they decided to make it girly. I know the design is popular among the Japanese consumers. No, we may not like it, but they are a business and they have to supply what their main costumers want. We as American consumers are not buying from them anyway so they don't know what we want in a design. I agree that maybe is they made a model or two of it without the glittery stuff it would be a good business move.

As for gameplay, I have heard only good things about it. I personally am not a fan of all of the characters, especially since many of them are humanoid, and I see tamas as non-human thing. But many of them are very cute. And again the characters they picked are based on their main consumers in Japan. We should be happy that our favorite old characters are even still included. Bandai could have done away with them completely.

So basically the main purpose of this post is to say that beggars can't be choosers. Bandai makes what they make for the consumers they make them for. If you don't happen to fall in the same genre of people that they are aiming them for than oh well. They are a business like any other. And obviously they were successful because they got your money I see. Be happy you are able to get them at all.

... Wow... Are you serious?

First of all, I love the Tama-go, the features are great, the figures are a creative touch, and I love being able to design your room and go places. I can understand people not liking it though, as we all are different and may not all love the same thing. But, the iD L just blew me away. Like nickkannel said, even though the boys may not like the designs, Bandai is marketing towards girls which is quite obvious now. Yes its not fair to the males but there are only few males who are interested in Tamagotchi's, so Bandai has to market towards what is most popular, girls that like cutesy things.

And for the characters, I personally adore most of them because they're different. Bandai can't just keep on coming in with the same old Tamagotchi's, they have to switch things up and add new characters. They're really different and I think that it's pretty cool suddenly seeing a never before seen character when your Tamagotchi evolves!

Also when Bandai made the iD L, I'm pretty sure that they purposely wanted to make getting the happiness up harder, to make it more a challenge for everyone. Who would want a tamagotchi where you feed it and play one game and just leave it alone for hours? Some people might, but in a couple days they'll just get bored of it and probably stop caring about it. Making it harder to get the happiness points up adds a challenge so you have to pay closer attention to your tamagotchi. But personally, I love the games on the iD L! I could play that one with Mametchi jumping over the snakes for hours. xD

You were also talking about the care misses, and how to get characters, etc. When I play with my Tamagotchi's, I usually go in, well, blind. The only thing I look at are the translators for the screens and then I try to get unlock everything else on my own. Maybe doing that will make it more interesting for you? I don't really know about the "perfect care" tamagotchis, I just try and take care of my tamagotchi differently each time, and see what I end up with!

Overall, I adore the iD L. Like I said before, it seriously just blew me away. The room designing, the planting trees, the games, the places, the new characters and Ta-Ma-To-Mo signs, everything. It just adds so much to your tamagotchi, while still making it feel like a pet. Speaking of which, I love seeing the pets you can get at the park! So cute! But anyway, even though you may not like the iD L, and I respect that, you shouldn't really go around calling it a failure. I think Bandai has done a great job on this Tamagotchi, and it looks like many others seem to love it too. xP

I think nickkannel makes many fair points. Sure, it may not be aesthetically-pleasing for boys but those who care get over it. I wouldn't go so far as to call the iD L a failure and personally, I don't even think the TMGO (good effort by Bandai America, but overall, eh) is even in the same league as the iD L. You win some, you lose some, and you can never please everyone. That's all fine though, because at least Bandai Japan is booming at the moment and I think it's safe to say that they're doing okay with their target population.

1. I'm sure you know that you can also feed the iD L snacks to increase the happiness bar, right? It can be a combo of snacks and games because I know how tedious playing the games all the time can be. You can also utilize the downloads feature and get new games from that, which I think is really cool because then you're not stuck with one or two of the same games. I mean, that was the whole point of the downloads feature when it was introduced in the iD; that you could customize a lot of the things on your Tamagotchi to your liking. Also, how is the baby stage, which is 1 hour on all Tamagotchis...not just limited to the iD L, considered long? I'm not trying to instigate, I'm actually genuinely curious as to what you're thinking. You'd like it to be shorter?

2. You can just as easily get bad-care characters. What about the characters in between? I don't know about you, but I find some challenge in that and that's part of the fun. The fact that there are even more characters available makes it even better.

3. To each his own. :) There must be at least one character you like.

4. Fair point but Bandai has to make room for other characters they may deem "better" somehow. Besides, I don't think they think of things like care=character as much as we do. They just want to make a product, market it for a certain group, and hope the effort is fruitful.

5. See my response to #4 and my general blurb about boys above. :D

I'm not out to extol the virtues of the iD L or promote it's excellence or anything like that. It's not perfect but it's a Tamagotchi. I don't think many people expected Tamagotchi to still be popular (at least in Japan, but that's something) 15 years since its inception but that means that Bandai must be doing something right. As Tamagotchi fans, we really should be grateful that they're still coming out with anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, the only tamagotchis i actually like are any Tamas from the orginal p1 and p2 (from 1996) to the v3. I don't own any tamagotchis past the v3, BUT i will note a few things that i noticed that i don't like.

**PLEASE NOTE, BEFORE READING, THAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THE NEW-AGE TAMAGOTCHIS, MEANING TAMAGO, ID L AND ANY OTHER.. "OVERDONE" TAMAS**

1) Tamagotchis are pets, not...human like things with clothes.

2) I'm really not digging the colored screen, nor the bedrooms with the drapes, doors, nightstands etc..

3) A tamagotchi battery (CR2032) can last months on end, while with the new FAT tamagotchis you gotta recharge them everyday?? someone tell me.

4) I'm seriously not feeling the whole "young" teenagers, sure, Young Mimitchi is the original and deserves his spot, as perhaps Young Mametchi too. It's just annoying because i feel like they put only half the work into the characters. It's like changing the name Jose to Joze, OOOO what a difference!! "Awesome, my Young Kuchipatchi just turned into.... A KUCHIPATCHI!!"--AHAHAHA no, just no.

5) My pets don't form bands, although i wish they did.

I own a v3, but even so, i will say that tamatown kinda over did it, and even from v1 to now, they really do need to add a day or two to the child and teen phases, these little guys grow too quickly.

Ohh and this is 100% opinion, so if you disagree with me, remember, none of us are right or wrong, we are all different beings with different perspectives. I will consider this: My first tamagotchi was the original p1 from 1996, so should it be a surprise that i dislike the newer ones??

Honestly, the only tamagotchis i actually like are any Tamas from the orginal p1 and p2 (from 1996) to the v3. I don't own any tamagotchis past the v3, BUT i will note a few things that i noticed that i don't like.

4) I'm seriously not feeling the whole "young" teenagers, sure, Young Mimitchi is the original and deserves his spot, as perhaps Young Mametchi too. It's just annoying because i feel like they put only half the work into the characters. It's like changing the name Jose to Joze, OOOO what a difference!! "Awesome, my Young Kuchipatchi just turned into.... A KUCHIPATCHI!!"--AHAHAHA no, just no.

5) My pets don't form bands, although i wish they did.
I had the original tamas when they came out in 97' 96' too. They have a special place in my heart and always will, but I also think the newer tamas are interesting and they do add more interesting elements to the game play. The nice thing about having a collection of tamas is you can grab an old one or a newer one depending on how you feel that week or day.

About your comment to 4 - The changing of names probably has more meaning than your giving it credit to. In Japan things are different especially with the naming of things. It probably has to do with them calling them something like... ko-mimitchi or wakai-mimitchi... or something. (little ear ear tchi) It probably just ended up sounding less interesting in translation to us cause we speak English.

Ohh and this is 100% opinion, so if you disagree with me, remember, none of us are right or wrong, we are all different beings with different perspectives. I will consider this: My first tamagotchi was the original p1 from 1996, so should it be a surprise that i dislike the newer ones??
You're absolutely right. I definitely know how you feel too. My first Tamagotchi was a P2 from the '90s and as the years went by and more Tamagotchis came out, I never thought that I'd get into them. The primary drive for me to even try out the newer ones though was my eagerness to help out on this board and I found that I couldn't get far without having experienced at least some of the newer ones firsthand. After at least giving them a shot, I found they weren't so bad after all. They're not perfect, but there's something out there for everyone. I still adore vintage Tamagotchis like crazy (hence my username :) ) but it's nice to branch out too.

I had the original tamas when they came out in 97' 96' too. They have a special place in my heart and always will, but I also think the newer tamas are interesting and they do add more interesting elements to the game play. The nice thing about having a collection of tamas is you can grab an old one or a newer one depending on how you feel that week or day.

About your comment to 4 - The changing of names probably has more meaning than your giving it credit to. In Japan things are different especially with the naming of things. It probably has to do with them calling them something like... ko-mimitchi or wakai-mimitchi... or something. (little ear ear tchi) It probably just ended up sounding less interesting in translation to us cause we speak English.

ummm no, i'm not talking about the names themselves, i'm talking about the characters.. -_-x

like in my example, i find it not-so-interesting to see a young kuchipatchi, turn into a kuchipatchi, no big change there.

You're absolutely right. I definitely know how you feel too. My first Tamagotchi was a P2 from the '90s and as the years went by and more Tamagotchis came out, I never thought that I'd get into them. The primary drive for me to even try out the newer ones though was my eagerness to help out on this board and I found that I couldn't get far without having experienced at least some of the newer ones firsthand. After at least giving them a shot, I found they weren't so bad after all. They're not perfect, but there's something out there for everyone. I still adore vintage Tamagotchis like crazy (hence my username :) ) but it's nice to branch out too.
Very true and respectful :) sometimes we need to dive in head first, instead of observing from a distance. Wisdom much??

It's also possible that the reason why i don't like the new ones are because i don't like any technology that comes off as "over-done" or unnecessary to me (ex: iPhones, Motion sensor toilets, or just T.V. in general)

You can also utilize the downloads feature and get new games from that, which I think is really cool because then you're not stuck with one or two of the same games. I mean, that was the whole point of the downloads feature when it was introduced in the iD; that you could customize a lot of the things on your Tamagotchi to your liking. Also, how is the baby stage, which is 1 hour on all Tamagotchis...not just limited to the iD L, considered long? I'm not trying to instigate, I'm actually genuinely curious as to what you're thinking. You'd like it to be shorter?
My parents don't let me do downaloads because they say "aren't you happy with it as it is?" and "we don't have the right equipment" and "I don't know the website" and stuff like that. A link to the download website and some instructions would be great. I think my dad has a cell phone with IR, or any other type of adaptor battery charger Kindle etc.

As for the baby stage, an hour of slaving away at the boring games and watching it get sick and poop is TOO MUCH. I do want it to be shorter, because I can't get through the whole thing without an interruption from, you guessed it, from my mom saying I have to stop playing with my Tamagotchi and often all I accomplish with trying to do it all in one go is the Tamagotchi being confiscated and a lot of yelling. I don't find it very fun because I have to constantly play games and I'm always thinking "when can I stop playing games...my fingers are aching...it must be evolving soon..." during the later parts of that stage.

So the 1 hour baby stage is just your problem with all tamagotchis? Not just this one?

And by the way, I just ordered an ID L. I saw that there was o ly one left of the fairly cheap one I was watching for a while on ebay, and I just couldn't loose the opportunity. SO I now have a Green Tamagotchi+color and a White ID L in the mail. They are both due to arrive about the same day, because I upgraded to EMS for the ID L. Oh I am so weak.

really?! The tamago isn't even a 10'th as good as the id L >_>

IMO, the iD L is the best Tama yet.

SO many features, I really don't understand how you could get bored.

Why are the characters HIDEOUS????? They're supposed to be adorable, and they are! I love Perotchi! Little pink outfit with cake on its head- that's adorable!!!

Wait, you say it's super easy to get perfect care characters, but then it's hard to play games all the time...? Those are opposites.

Um, I thought Lovelitchi was your favorite character...

IMO, the iD L is the best Tama yet.

SO many features, I really don't understand how you could get bored.

Why are the characters HIDEOUS????? They're supposed to be adorable, and they are! I love Perotchi! Little pink outfit with cake on its head- that's adorable!!!

Wait, you say it's super easy to get perfect care characters, but then it's hard to play games all the time...? Those are opposites.

Um, I thought Lovelitchi was your favorite character...
^I agree.I love my iD-L,I had a Perotchi and I thought it was sooo cute!:3 Everyone has their own opinions :) I love all of the features,you can unlock places get pets and so much more.I got bored of my iD-L for a little bit ( :eek: how,I have no idea) but I really got back into it after comparing it to my tama-go.The tama-go is kind of dull compared to the iD-L.I love mine,the tama-go has half of the features the iD-L has.It is hard to get perfect care characters,the games are kind of hard to just sit and play for hours. :p

The Tama-go wasn't a failure. Its actually an improvement in my opinion. You have a cute little house and figures to attatch :D Sure its big, but it sure is better tjan the v5 IN MY OPINION.

The ID L is deff. not a failure though and is 10x better than the Tama-go. Has a lot of features and the characters aren't ugly. Just different.

^I agree.I love my iD-L,I had a Perotchi and I thought it was sooo cute!:3 Everyone has their own opinions :) I love all of the features,you can unlock places get pets and so much more.I got bored of my iD-L for a little bit ( :eek: how,I have no idea) but I really got back into it after comparing it to my tama-go.The tama-go is kind of dull compared to the iD-L.I love mine,the tama-go has half of the features the iD-L has.It is hard to get perfect care characters,the games are kind of hard to just sit and play for hours. :p
I think Perotchi is totally hideous! I can't stand the sight of one! But I prefer the V4.5, with skill points and different families and Ura characters. I guess with me, my mom decided to ruin all those ones you can just sit and play for hours...I hate the way she just changes me so I won't get addicted to Tamas...I am so mad at her. In short. I could rant for ages about how she basically ruins my Tama life but people get the message.

I think I'll just stick with my "old" TMGC + Color and plain "old" iD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back