Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

TamaChat: Should it be closed down?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: TamaChat: Should it be closed down? (155 member(s) have cast votes)

Should TamaChat be closed down?

1. Yes (26 votes [16.77%])

Percentage of vote: 16.77%

2. No (129 votes [83.23%])

Percentage of vote: 83.23%

Do you use TamaChat?

1. Yes - I am a regular chatter (48 votes [30.97%])

Percentage of vote: 30.97%

2. Yes - But only sometimes (74 votes [47.74%])

Percentage of vote: 47.74%

3. No - I never go into chat anymore (33 votes [21.29%])

Percentage of vote: 21.29%

Have you ever had problems wih other people in TamaChat?

1. No - The people are usually nice (89 votes [57.42%])

Percentage of vote: 57.42%

2. Yes - Sometimes there are mean/rude people in chat (52 votes [33.55%])

Percentage of vote: 33.55%

3. Yes - There are usually rude people in chat (14 votes [9.03%])

Percentage of vote: 9.03%

Is chat the main feature you use on TamaTalk?

1. Yes - I usually only come to TamaTalk for the chatroom (32 votes [20.65%])

Percentage of vote: 20.65%

2. No - I regularly participate in other areas of the site (forums, PMs, etc) (123 votes [79.35%])

Percentage of vote: 79.35%

Vote

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:50 AM ( #1 )

I wanted to give the community a chance to have their say on the future of TamaChat. We have been having some problems recently and this has led me to rethink having a TamaTalk chatroom at all. I wanted to post this poll to get a feel for what you all think of TamaChat so that I have more information before making a decision. I would like for people to vote as well as seriously discuss some of the good and bad things in TamaChat.

Some good and bad things others have mentioned:

Good:
- Chat is a great place to make friends
- Chat helps pass the time in between posting in the forums

Bad:
- People can be really mean to others in chat
- People have been rude/abusive to Guides in chat

I would also love to hear any suggestions for how to improve or fix chat. Please keep in mind that options like adding a second room and always having a moderator/Guide in chat are not possible.

Your votes are anonymous so please feel free to be honest when voting. If possible, I would love to have some replies to this so that we can maturely discuss the future of TamaChat.
  • TamaMum and emzz909 like this

Replies

Views

Started

15 Aug 2011

Last Post

19 Apr 2012

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:57 PM ( #2 )

Personally, I don't visit it often at all. I think its a good part of tamatalk still. I see many users go into the chat-room during the day. Certain users have been abusive to have its use, while others haven't done anything to have it removed.

What about a Previledge being removed if found of wrong-doing? If someone feels as if they are abusing the chat-room, they can take a screen capture of the specified user and wrong-doing.... Then report it to a mod/guide/etc... Then the mod/guide gets to decide on removing previledge for X hours/Days/ etc... based on the evidence and what has been said/posted.

Set a rank for the level of "Wrong-doing" so everyone agrees to the rules... (Everyone being the mods/guides...)

Edited by SailorRosette, 15 August 2011 - 02:58 PM.

• ChamametchiandMametchi likes this

Space Unicorn

• space-unicorn user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:34 PM ( #3 )

No!
I, along with many other users, would quit if tamachat is closed down. The site would go downhill after that.
SailorRosette's idea is good, though

chantotchi

• chantotchi user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:37 PM ( #4 )

To be honest, I rarely use TamaChat. But I think that, for the mature people on TamaTalk, it's a great way to get to know others. On the other hand, there are some immature people that like to fill the chatroom with spam and say rude things to other users.

IDEA! Maybe a way so that users can type a certain amount of characters at a time. Or a way so that if a user says negative things a certain amount of times, he/ she will be transferred out of the chat room and can't go back in for a while.

Those are just my thoughts. :)

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:13 PM ( #5 )

An interesting idea... Though then we still have the problem of people being able to create new accounts to avoid being blocked from chat. The only way that would work is if we were to take the opposite approach and members must be APPROVED before they can enter chat. This way if you cause problems then you lose the privilege to join chat until you have shown that you are behaving enough to be allowed back in. This would, of course, block all new members from chat until they asked to be approved and a senior guide or I allowed them in.

.chasm.

• chasm user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:33 PM ( #6 )

I do not think that it should be closed down. Yes, there are sometimes spammers or trolls, but that is usually quite rare. It's just a place for us to talk to our friends on here, so we shouldn't all have it taken away because of a few trolls.

Runner

• runner user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:51 PM ( #7 )

I think Tamachat should stay. Why? Because it's the place to go to make buddies, to chill and discuss anything and everything, and the place to talk to people about RPs. It needs to stay.

I think we need to find a chat that actually has more than one room. That way, the people who don't wanna talk to each other can just go to a different room. Simple. Try to find a software that works.

Edited by Runner, 15 August 2011 - 05:57 PM.

.chasm.

• chasm user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:56 PM ( #8 )

I think we need to find a chat that actually has more than one room. That way, the people who don't wanna talk to each other can just go to a different room. Simple. Try to find a software that works.

I agree with this

I really, really want flashchat back. I know that there is probably a good reason for the chat not being run by that anymore (cost maybe?), but that was the best. It would also be good if you give us the option to make our own rooms, because then there wouldn't be a mix of conversatons all in one room.

emzz909

• emzz909 user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:59 PM ( #9 )

TamaChat helps me relax from all the Tamagotchi things I have to do.

memetchi <3

• memetchi-<3 user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:59 PM ( #10 )

I don't go on the chat anymore, but I think it should stay. Since more TamaTalkers want it up more then the TTers who don't want it, it wouldn't be fair for the regular chatters. Besides, like it was said one or three posts ago, it's a great way to make friends.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:42 PM ( #11 )

As far as multiple rooms goes, I would love to offer tat. Unfortunately this is not an option. Flashchat is not going to happen. It was buggy and easily hackable plus it puts a huge load on the server that slows down the whole site. I have looked for other options but cost is a huge part of why other options haven't been used.

.chasm.

• chasm user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:06 PM ( #12 )

As far as multiple rooms goes, I would love to offer tat. Unfortunately this is not an option. Flashchat is not going to happen. It was buggy and easily hackable plus it puts a huge load on the server that slows down the whole site. I have looked for other options but cost is a huge part of why other options haven't been used.

Oh, okay. It's just that I'm not the biggest fan of the current chat, because it has no customisation options, and havin one room tends to give us a mess of conversations.

Back to the subject, the chat is used frequently my many members, just for chatting to friends and getting instant replies, unlike PMs or the forums. Taking it away would definitely affect a lot of people.

Darking

• darking user photo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:23 PM ( #13 )

It shouldn't be closed down, i met many people like that would you want to lose members, have less donors, I don't think so

SailorRosette

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:28 PM ( #14 )

An interesting idea... Though then we still have the problem of people being able to create new accounts to avoid being blocked from chat. The only way that would work is if we were to take the opposite approach and members must be APPROVED before they can enter chat. This way if you cause problems then you lose the privilege to join chat until you have shown that you are behaving enough to be allowed back in. This would, of course, block all new members from chat until they asked to be approved and a senior guide or I allowed them in.

What about IP blocking from Tamatalk? I'm not sure if it can be done in the Chat section....

I know a few users have come back, even after being banned... and I'm sure they have been in the ChatRoom too...

Edited by SailorRosette, 15 August 2011 - 07:29 PM.

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:22 PM ( #15 )

I don't go in chat anymore because there's been just one troll, but it nearly ruined a friendship for me, so I just stay OUT.
But, it's also how I met a friend so I don't think we should get rid of it and rob other people of that. :)
I like Sailor's idea of the IP adress block, if it's possible.

Cave Johnson

• cave-johnson user photo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:12 AM ( #16 )

What about IP blocking from Tamatalk? I'm not sure if it can be done in the Chat section....

I know a few users have come back, even after being banned... and I'm sure they have been in the ChatRoom too...

Pretty sure it can block I.P.'s , although there are still ways around that, it's not foolproof.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:47 AM ( #17 )

IP blocks aren't as effective as I would like... So that can not be relied on as a solution.

I am liking the idea of members needing to be approved before they can enter chat (which means they can be unapproved and kicked out until they mature and behave better). It would be a delay before you can join chat but it would be way more effective at locking out members who misbehave and evade bans. Any thoughts on this?
  • aerbear10, jadine, Space Unicorn and 1 other like this

Runner

• runner user photo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:58 AM ( #18 )

I guess it would work, against certain people. But when that is put in place, would EVERY current member have to get approved? How long would the process take if that was the case?

emzz909

• emzz909 user photo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:09 AM ( #19 )

If people don't like TamaChat, they should just not enter it. Anyways, I see how getting multiple chatrooms would be useful, but it's just that TamaTalk would be more slower.

►IDEA!◄

I'm really thinking there should be certain people who should be able to go in, and people who shouldn't.

SailorRosette

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:16 AM ( #20 )

IP blocks aren't as effective as I would like... So that can not be relied on as a solution.

I am liking the idea of members needing to be approved before they can enter chat (which means they can be unapproved and kicked out until they mature and behave better). It would be a delay before you can join chat but it would be way more effective at locking out members who misbehave and evade bans. Any thoughts on this?

So how often would you need to approve users to join? Would it stick once you approved them?

I could shutter a Captcha before entry... Then Logging in to the Chat-Room logs your entry inside and how long you stay inside...