Tamagotchi ID L help!

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PretzelNymph

Reaction score
So first off, it has been quite a while since I've been on tamatalk. Things have been kinda crazy, but I'm back!!

And I've splurged and got myself a fancy shiny new ID L. It is beautiful, and awesome. Except for the whole download situation. I don't have a compatible cell phone, so I've invested in a usb ir port for my computer. Problems problems problems.

As far as I can tell, the main problem is that my computer is waiting for a signal from another ir device. Then once they recognize each other, I can beam my files to my ID L. However, the ID L appears to be passive when in the download screen. It is not signalling at all.

I know SOMEONE has successfully used one of these things, so if you can give me any advice on how you got it to work, it would be appreciated. Every other topic I've looked at refers to the ir port as needing "alot of patience" but that isn't really helpful. I need details!!! :) I hope someone can help!

Okay so I am going to answer my own question since I've figured it out :) and just in case someone else is having the same problems.

I am running Windows Vista, btw. For the ir device, I just installed it with windows generic driver instead of using the cd it came with. Seemed simpler.

First off, I had to mess with the configuration of the ir device itself. I went into the device manager, under advanced options. I changed the "transceiver". There were three options, so I just tried them all. The second thing I messed with was the "speed enable". The default setting was the highest option; I brought it down one notch.

At this point, the device was detecting my ID L, albeit not well, or consistently. I activated the receive button on my ID L several times, until a notification popped up on my computer. When you double click on the notification, a window pops up allowing you to browse your files and pick which one to send. By this time, the tamagotchi has given up on connecting, and the notification is gone, but you can still mess around in the sending window. When I had selected the file to send, I again activated the receive option on my tama(fourth option in the connection menu). Took a few times again. Finally, a notification pops up that there is a computer within range. HIT SEND FAST!!! If you wait just a second too long, the tama gives up again, and you have to make your computer recognize it all over again. It takes ALOT OF TRIES sometimes.

A few notes on troubleshooting; sometimes if the computer was just not recognizing the tama for a long time, I would hit the second option on the tama's connect menu that says ID. For some reason the computer had an easier time recognizing that signal. And although you can't send anything that way, it seems to kick-start the computer into recognizing you the next try.

UGH. So yes, my advice to anyone considering purchasing an irda device- don't. Mine was cheap ($7) but it took me three days of fiddling around to get anything to work AT ALL, and even then, it takes maybe 15 tries to get anything transferred. Just get a cheap phone on ebay and save yourself the trouble.

I am SUUUPER excited though to have these downloads. They are all fabulous, and I love the new games. It adds so much content to an already great tamagotchi, and it is by far my favorite version thus far.

If anyone else trying the irda has a specific question, feel free to pm me!

@jaryd I've actually never owned a Mac, but I assume it should work the same way. I think with any operating system you CAN get IR to work, it's just a matter of messing around with it for hours. Its definitely worth the hassle, these downloads are off the CHAIN :)

Thanks so much! I have the same problem as you, and I tried it on my Tama's third generation, and now I'm on the fifth and been trying every day and I STILL couldn't get it to do anything. You're right, it's WAYYYY too much trouble. Although I may just try to do it with the IRDA device I have now ;)

I have a usb to ir device and it took ruffly a day to get it to work for me, LOVE this ID L!! Just wondering if I would somehow be able to record the ir signals my tamagotchi sends to comunicate with another tama and then send those recorded signals to my ID L and make it think its comunicating with another tama. I dont have the money to buy a second ID L and my plus color fried when I tried to debug it, can I send artificial signals to my ID L?

@memefefe wow that would be awesome right? Then we could get the coveted madonitchi (sp?) without a bazillion ID Ls!!

Although that is totes cheating.. But I love it :D

@memefefe wow that would be awesome right? Then we could get the coveted madonitchi (sp?) without a bazillion ID Ls!!

Although that is totes cheating.. But I love it :D
Slightly off topic here and I don't know if you know, but you can get Madonnatchi without a bazillion iD Ls. If you have one other iD L, or even using a +C or an iD, just reset whatever color Tamagotchi you're connecting with your iD L 6 times so that it registers as 6 "different" connection friends on your iD L during the teen stage and you should get Madonnatchi. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back