Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Is Bandai America Going to STOP making Tamagotchi?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ciara683

• ciara683 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:56 PM ( #35 )

When exactly is their 15th annaversary? :huh:

November 23rd I believe

hwd45

• hwd45 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:42 AM ( #36 )

So... Look what I found on Bandai UK's site:

Bandai UK Milestones

Power Rangers Ninja Storm released and continues to be the best selling boys toy. Thunderbirds toys launched to coincide with the live action movie. Other new launches include Teen Titans and Pokémon Advanced. Tamagotchi Connexion launched in May and becomes a hit again. Super Badge It! launched. Bratz wins Girls Toy of the Year. Badge It! wins Creative Toy of the Year.

Power Rangers Dino Thunder launched and continues to be popular with children in the UK. New Debuts include toys on Gerry Andersons’ New Captain Scarlet, and soft toys based on Disney’ Bambi. Tamagotchi Connexion Version 2 wins Toy of the year.

Power Rangers Space Patrol Delta launched and quickly becomes the best selling boys toy of the year. Other new launches include Bag It! , Unazukin, and Pocoyo a stunning pre-school property from Zinkia. Version3 of Tamagotchi Connexion is launched and continues to be the UK’s best selling toy in the UK. Total sales of Tamagotchi exceed 4 million pieces in the UK by the end of 2006.

Power Rangers Mystic Force is launched and continues its excellent sales performance against strong competition from blockbuster movies. Ben 10, a new animated series from Cartoon Network is launched in spring and quickly becomes a top seller. The Omnitrix F/X scoops the Boys Toy of the Year award. Bandai return to the dolls market with Disney Fairies, a new toy line based on the ever popular Tinker Bell, and Strawberry Shortbread a heritage brand from the 1980’s. Tamagotchi Connexion Jinsei and Jinsei Plus (Version 4 & Version 4.5) are launched and continue to be the UK’s No1. selling toy for the third year running – a feat never achieved by another toy since toys record began by Consumer Tracking group NPD.

Power Rangers Operation Overdrive is launched and celebrates its 15th continuous year on sales in the UK. Pokémon Diamond & Pearl toys are launched after strong sales from the latest Nintendo DS games. Tamagotchi Connexion Familitchi is launched and continues to perform well in the toy market. Ben 10 toy line extended and becomes No1. selling boys brand in March. Other new launches include Puchi Puchi – a novelty toy that simulates bubble packaging and Catcha Beast – an interactive electronic game.

Power Rangers Jungle Fury is launched and continues to be popular with kids in the UK. Ben 10 moves to the next level with the launch of Ben 10 Alien Force. New launches will include some exciting girls brands including Star Friends, KeyTweens, Harumika and Tamagotchi Music Star the newest extension to the Tamagotchi brand. Celebrating its 60th Anniversary in 2009, Bandai will also be launching toys for Noddy in Toyland.

Power Rangers Racing Performance Machines (RPM) is launched and becomes the 17th consecutive year of this evergreen brand boy's brand. Ben 10 fever continues to the next level with the launch of Ben 10 Ultimate Alien in autumn. Star Friends, KeyTweens, Harumika and Noddy will see new line extensions added. New launches will include Armouron, a unique new concept combining boy's action, role-play and construction. Tinga Tinga Tales; a new pre-school property to be broadcast on Cbeebies in spring and is based on the Tanzanian art style and African folklore.

So, we can see that tamagotchi was EXTREMELY popular up until around 2008, where it started dying. Imagine how much popular tamagotchi is in the USA- it doesn't look like the end is near yet. If a popular tamagotchi is released soon, then it may 'restart the franchise' and get tamagotchi popular again.

Edited by hwd45, 30 October 2011 - 06:43 AM.

• joshnemo likes this

tinkeepie11

• tinkeepie11 user photo

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:27 AM ( #37 )

I usually get them at toys r us and target, but lately both have not had tama-gos for a while.

Chii_V2

• chii-v2 user photo

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:49 PM ( #38 )

I have a feeling that the Tama-Go was the last gasp of Tamagotchi in the US. After all the advancements made by the connection line, the Tama-Go looked like a huge step backward.

I adored the tamagotchi of the 90's and the connections too, but I was a little suspicious when I saw that the US got the simplified versions of the Japanese models. If only the US hadn't held back, maybe the fanbase would be stronger. But sadly, the past is the past. Speaking of the past, I think they should be revived in a new style. Like maybe Tamagotchi Duals where you can pick what you raise. Like there could be an Angel/Devil model, a Ocean/Forest model, and a P1/P2 model.

When the announcement is finally made of the end of Tamagotchi America, I will mourn the loss
  • joshnemo likes this

DelicateChimes

• delicatechimes user photo

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:53 AM ( #39 )

They don't even have tamagotchis at my local tamagotchi supplier (otherwise known as Toys-R-Us). :( I got a Music Star off of eBay yesterday. :)

Ya, I don't have them at Toys-R-Us either...:angry:
And I hope they are making tamas...:mellow:

sponqebob

• sponqebob user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:13 PM ( #40 )

Like maybe Tamagotchi Duals where you can pick what you raise. Like there could be an Angel/Devil model, a Ocean/Forest model, and a P1/P2 model.

that would be so cool...

if/when an announcement comes that they are shutting down tamagotchi production in america, i will flip my sh*t.
or in other words be extremely mad and show it.

Alicefly

• alicefly user photo

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:24 PM ( #41 )

Ya, I don't have them at Toys-R-Us either...Posted Image
And I hope they are making tamas...Posted Image

My local Toys R Us still has a LOT of Music Stars. Until recently, they had a basket full of V3s for £2 each, but I bought all the colours I didn't have yet from that :P I went last week, and they still have several rows of different Music Stars hanging on the shelves. £4.99 each.

Oh!

• oh user photo

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:24 PM ( #42 )

My local Toys R Us still has a LOT of Music Stars. Until recently, they had a basket full of V3s for £2 each, but I bought all the colours I didn't have yet from that :P I went last week, and they still have several rows of different Music Stars hanging on the shelves. £4.99 each.

i'm jealous.
i haven't seen any tamagotchi's in any stores for at least 6 months.

Orandatchi

• orandatchi user photo

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:53 PM ( #43 )

When I went to the place I got my Music Star, no Music Star but there was 2nd wave TMGOs.

Alicefly

• alicefly user photo

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:38 PM ( #44 )

i'm jealous.
i haven't seen any tamagotchi's in any stores for at least 6 months.

I imagine that what they do is, when they get to the point where most stores only have a few left, they send them all to the store that sells the most of them. Maybe my Toys R Us is bigger, or has sold more Tamagotchis. So they're selling them off there instead.

Southparkkennyfan

• southparkkennyfan user photo

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:51 PM ( #45 )

Well,my brother's gonna type this.
"Well, when I was a little boy, Gundam was verrrrrrrrrrrrrry popular. Almost everyone had either a dvd of it or the manga.
Now guess what?
There's only the stupid cra**** **** games out there!"
I think what my brother is saying is kind of true.
Gundam was popular.
Tamagotchi's were popular.
Now they are not.
Maybe...THE BANDAI EFFECT!!!!!
What the bandai effect is:
Basicaly,when Bandai first releases a origanal series,
it's popular the first years,
then downhill the next.
Don't hold your breath too long.

joshnemo

• joshnemo user photo

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:58 PM ( #46 )

Well,my brother's gonna type this.
"Well, when I was a little boy, Gundam was verrrrrrrrrrrrrry popular. Almost everyone had either a dvd of it or the manga.
Now guess what?
There's only the stupid cra**** **** games out there!"
I think what my brother is saying is kind of true.
Gundam was popular.
Tamagotchi's were popular.
Now they are not.
Maybe...THE BANDAI EFFECT!!!!!
What the bandai effect is:
Basicaly,when Bandai first releases a origanal series,
it's popular the first years,
then downhill the next.
Don't hold your breath too long.

Well to be honest, this effect happens to every product/book/movie/household item/what-not that is released. This ripple-effect doesn't only apply exclusively to Bandai! :hanatchi:

As years pass, trends pass too, and now I think we can all safely agree that Tamagotchi doesn't appeal to a global-audience as it had years ago. :c

However, if Bandai have realised this too, who knows what trends they could possibly be formulating and following for their next line of technology-based toys! :ichigotchi:

Astromeno

• astromeno user photo

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:06 PM ( #47 )

I agree people world wide have stuff like smart phones,tablets,iPods, etc. I think if they just bring the ID L world wide then more people will buy it and tamagotchi's will most likely get popular again :D! blue tooth would be nice because pretty much no one has a infra-red phone anymore :). EDIT:I forgot that they should bring the anime worldwide because anime is pretty popular where I live

That's the issue - people already have devices that have about 100x the functions even an iD L has. One can theoretically get the color Tamagotchi experience for about $1-2 on a smartphone or tablet; why would the same people pay $30-50 for the same thing?

Togetchi123

• togetchi123 user photo

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:00 AM ( #48 )

You guys are lucky, the only Tamas sold here in Malaysia was the Tama-Go. Anything before that is unheard of in ANY toy store. The first tama that I got was a V2 brought over by my uncle-in-law from Japan (Never understood it, never will). However, about April this year MacDonalds was releaseing Tamagotchi Happy Meal Toys, so I don't think the Tama-Craze is over quite yet, as our local television network was showing it, abliet in a Bahasa Melayu dub. (TV3, Mondays at 9am for you Malaysians out there.)

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:04 PM ( #49 )

I really do want the Tamagotchi company to keep going forward and make more really good tamagotchis. I hope they don't give up. I bet if they make a really good tamagotchi LOTS of ppl will buy them.

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:07 PM ( #50 )

You guys are lucky, the only Tamas sold here in Malaysia was the Tama-Go. Anything before that is unheard of in ANY toy store. The first tama that I got was a V2 brought over by my uncle-in-law from Japan (Never understood it, never will). However, about April this year MacDonalds was releaseing Tamagotchi Happy Meal Toys, so I don't think the Tama-Craze is over quite yet, as our local television network was showing it, abliet in a Bahasa Melayu dub. (TV3, Mondays at 9am for you Malaysians out there.)

Yeah if its the first ever tama heard, there will be a lot of craze.

elidee8

• elidee8 user photo

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:25 PM ( #51 )

I do agree that Bandai would seriously be considering this option, after the poor sales of the Tama-Go and all those new recent ones. I am really hoping they don't stop making Tamagotchis because I have been really wanting to collect some more and if they just cut them off suddenly, what will happen to all us people?
However, I do understand there concerns - when the very first Tamagotchi came out in the late '90s, everyone went absolutely mad. They were everywhere, it was the best sales ever got. Now when they brought them back in the early '00s, when some new kids of the suited age group came along, it was a success, but not as successful as the first. Which is understandable, new tech toys come every year and a small handheld animal made out of pixels, with three buttons and grey and black options got less popular. This continued, and even though the Tamagotchi Connections were getting better and better, the new tech toys, which had many, many brands making them, was at a standard thought too high for these small toys to reach.
When a person at my school (a friend) found her old V4 and reset it, I realised fun a bunch of pixels could really be. I eagerly went home and found my V3 and V4, bought batteries and off they went. I've been playing with them and encouraging others to do it too. My sister rediscovered her old V3 and has joined on some of her friends, and a couple of boys have restarted their V4s too, it's as if the old Connections are the ones fighting back. Our school isn't huge and not nearly half of the kids there have reset theirs, or even have one, but I do hear the quite frequent "Oh my gosh, is that a tamagotchi?" or "Have you got a tamagotchi?" which is better to hear we haven't all forgotten. I think Bandai should bring back the old V1s, V2s, V3s and V4s and see how it goes. I would definitely try and get my hands on one, the three in our family is not enough for my liking.
-elidee8
  • joshnemo and kuromametchifan123 like this