Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Is Bandai America Going to STOP making Tamagotchi?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:08 PM ( #52 )

I hope they don't stop. They've been going for years now, and after how tragically unsuccessfully the Tama-Go sold, it's no surprise that they might stop. Tamagotchis have pretty much disappeared in Europe, except for the UK, where tamagotchis were temporarily discontinued last year, but began re-selling this year in July.
Tamagotchi has so much potential, it would be a shame to see it go now. Let's all hope that a tamagotchi wins the Edison Nation Create-Your-Own toy competition, so that the brand can be restarted.
It's too early to give up hope yet.

Tamagotchis in the Uk are still here but the price has reduced. It was £20.00 and now its £13.00 and i don't know if they reduced it cuz its not selling or if they reduced it for christmas. I hope its just because of Christmas.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:51 PM ( #53 )

They already stopped selling the Tama-Gos here in Australia. The only shop I ever saw them in was Woolworths, and it was only for a short time. They stopped selling them in Toys R Us because I looked at their site and there was no trace of TMGC. I heard that Bandai America is going to stop making Tamagotchis because of the Tama-Go's low popularity. Furthermore, they don't want to release a color TMGC because it would cost 50$ and they think nobody would buy such an expensive toy. It's heart breaking, but it looks like Tama-fans are going to have to move to Japan...

joshnemo

• joshnemo user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:40 AM ( #54 )

They already stopped selling the Tama-Gos here in Australia. The only shop I ever saw them in was Woolworths, and it was only for a short time. They stopped selling them in Toys R Us because I looked at their site and there was no trace of TMGC. I heard that Bandai America is going to stop making Tamagotchis because of the Tama-Go's low popularity. Furthermore, they don't want to release a color TMGC because it would cost 50$ and they think nobody would buy such an expensive toy. It's heart breaking, but it looks like Tama-fans are going to have to move to Japan...

Agreed. Sadly, I think we've all known and realised this for a while now, but we just kept subconsciously denying it. Just like Harry Potter's reign for ten years that is now over, I think Tamagotchis, well English-based Tamagotchis to say at the least, are now starting to fade away.

Oh well, I guess we're all going to have to learn Japanese now to understand and purchase the new upcoming Japanese Tamagotchis! :lol:

nenitosoyyo

• nenitosoyyo user photo

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:52 PM ( #55 )

This really sucks because it's been years since I have played with my Tamagotchi, and I just found my Tamagotchi P1 a few days ago and revived it. I was so excited and decided to see if they sold any tamagotchi's at my local stores here in Winnipeg, Canada... I had bad luck trying to find any anywhere, I manage to find some Tama-Go's and Music Stars at XSCargo for 5.99 and 9.99, bought them right away because who knows when I would see one again. I was shocked that they still have the same screen setup, i would of thought they would be in color by now. I remember the one thing I hated about my first Tamagotchi and NaNo was that they were hard to see in dark places and poor light. Maybe if they just update them to color add more features, they might be popular again.

hwd45

• hwd45 user photo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:58 PM ( #56 )

I looked in the new Argos catalogue yesterday. No sign of Tama-Go :(

...Although, something has just occurred to me. Think about it; everyone here says that tamagotchi are going to end... But none of us want that? I doubt that Bandai would shut down one of their franchises if so many people didn't want it to happen.

The fact that we've heard no news for a few months is probably because if you check the Bandai blog, none of their products have received news that has been publicised by using the blog since September. They aren't shutting down every franchise. They just haven't given word on the possibility of future tamagotchis.

Let's hope for the best.

nenitosoyyo

• nenitosoyyo user photo

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:56 PM ( #57 )

I looked in the new Argos catalogue yesterday. No sign of Tama-Go :(

...Although, something has just occurred to me. Think about it; everyone here says that tamagotchi are going to end... But none of us want that? I doubt that Bandai would shut down one of their franchises if so many people didn't want it to happen.

The fact that we've heard no news for a few months is probably because if you check the Bandai blog, none of their products have received news that has been publicised by using the blog since September. They aren't shutting down every franchise. They just haven't given word on the possibility of future tamagotchis.

Let's hope for the best.

I really hope your right, and I am trying to think positive that they will continue with there wonderful products and continue to bring new tamagotchi's in the future. Just worried since they are shutting down Bandai Entertainment this February I believe, not sure how much of a concern that would be to there other brands and products. Well let's just hope they are working on something, and hopefully fix there tamatown website too, seems like its been down for a while now?

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:05 PM ( #58 )

Yup-no sight i looked :(

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:10 AM ( #59 )

I really hope your right, and I am trying to think positive that they will continue with there wonderful products and continue to bring new tamagotchi's in the future. Just worried since they are shutting down Bandai Entertainment this February I believe, not sure how much of a concern that would be to there other brands and products. Well let's just hope they are working on something, and hopefully fix there tamatown website too, seems like its been down for a while now?

Did you just say TamaTown was down? AAARRGH! I was just about to join it because it sounds like so much fun and I've never been there before! Bandai is going to PAY! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
That REALLY sucks. I added the "Together We Can Save Tamagotchi" slogan to my signature but now it looks as if Tamagotchi is vanishing...Please, NO, NO, NOOOO! :( :( :( :( :(

nenitosoyyo

• nenitosoyyo user photo

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:45 AM ( #60 )

Did you just say TamaTown was down? AAARRGH! I was just about to join it because it sounds like so much fun and I've never been there before! Bandai is going to PAY! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
That REALLY sucks. I added the "Together We Can Save Tamagotchi" slogan to my signature but now it looks as if Tamagotchi is vanishing...Please, NO, NO, NOOOO! :( :( :( :( :(

I know right! I feel the same and have never been on TamaTown :'( I e-mailed Bandai; the response was that there currently working on the situation and to keep checking back to see if its up. However there hasn't been a change and it continues with its connection issues...

Edited by nenitosoyyo, 26 January 2012 - 12:46 AM.

Keleois

• keleois user photo

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:54 AM ( #61 )

Personally, I think the solution is simple. In order to revive tamagotchi... simply release a Tamagotchi iD L in English!!! Everyone wants one, I, personally, would be willing to pay the $109 they cost on Amazon.com if only they weren't in Japanese, so that's really all bandai has to do to revive tamagotchi. It's cost effective, because they aren't making a whole new version, just changing the language on a version that's already out, AND they don't gotta advertise much either, since most already know of the Japanese ones... once it's been announced that English versions are out, everyone will likely rush to the stores and they won't be in stock 2 minutes before they're outta stock and Bandai makes more money! Lol.
  • larigotchi likes this

anniekb10

• anniekb10 user photo

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:00 AM ( #62 )

I really hope they don't stop I Love tamagotchis as well as evryone eles

tamag9

• tamag9 user photo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:01 AM ( #63 )

The Tama-Go seems to be the last. Its been quite long since the released a new one since Tama-Go came out. :newmametchi:

WarOmnimon

• waromnimon user photo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:43 PM ( #64 )

Bad news guys.

It doesn't seem that Bandai will have anything Tamagotchi related at the Toy Fair this year. All I've seen reported for the Toy Fair are Power Rangers, Ben 10, Thundercats, and a new subline for Harumika.

It's a real shame that Bandai America didn't capitalize on the 15th Anniversary of Tamagotchi. I don't know what to say... this is just... :angry:

Keleois

• keleois user photo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:27 PM ( #65 )

I swear, they're idjits if they don't make an English language iD L... or at least give the tama-go a colored, backlit screen! The billions of $$$ they could make from a simple change like that, refreshing the entire franchise for years to come! It is just... plain good business to put a backlit color screen tamagotchi pet out there for English speakers. After all, backlit color screen tamagotchis are so popular that many people are already paying $120 for a Japanese language iD L - and less but still a significant amount for a tamagotchi plus color - even though goodness knows it's hard to play on a game that uses a language we can't understand! So with sales like that, it is obvious to anyone with an iota of business sense that making English versions of one of them, or giving the tama-go a backlit and colored screen, would be in the best interests of the company with regards to profits. Unless, of course, they don't want to make money anymore? In which case, no one can help them.

I rest my case.

hwd45

• hwd45 user photo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:49 PM ( #66 )

I don't understand. There are clearly many fans who don't want Tamagotchi to end, and yet they insist on giving us no updates for over a year before completely ignoring it forever? That just doesn't make sense to me. I smell a lack of initiative.

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:04 AM ( #67 )

@WarOmnimon: That's definitely bad news; I'd looked them up on the Toy Fair website at the start of February and noticed that they didn't give any specifics, so I was holding out hope on the the release of a new Tamagotchi. :/

@Keleois: I don't think you quite understand something; creating an English-language iD L would solve nothing. For starters, there have been no colour Tamagotchis preceeding to lead into the iD L, especially the iD, which was the original file download Tamagotchi. Aside from that, the language in which the Tamagotchi is in doesn't make a different to a lot of Tamagotchi fans, as translations can be made, and most of the menus and such can be memorized. For example, if you picked up a Tama-Go, I'm sure you could close your eyes and easily navigate your way to the status screen, food menu, time screen, etc. You can do the same with the Japanese Tamagotchis. Just because it's in another language doesn't make it unusable. So releasing an English iD L wouldn't make much difference, it would only allow more access to the toy other than having to buy it online.

What I do support is the release of a completely new, original Tamagotchi. Color would obviously be nice, but I care more about that actual game than the color screen. The Music Star and Tama-Go for example aren't "bad" Tamagotchis because they don't have a color screen, and the Tamagotchi iD L isn't a "good" Tamagotchi because it has a color one. The Music Star and Tama-Go itself doesn't appeal to a lot because it doesn't have a lot of the features that make a Tamagotchi great, while the Tamagotchi iD L is packed with great features. I'm sure if the Tama-Go was released in colour and the iD L was in greyscale, the iD L would still be favored.

Just my two cents.

@hwd45: I agree, but we still don't know if Tamagotchi (outside of Japan) is going to be "ignored forever". For all we know, Bandai are working on a Tamagotchi, but it's just not in as phase where it's ready for showcasing at the Toy Fair. New Tamagotchi or no, there is still no excuse for why Bandai have been so quiet in updates lately; this isn't just for Tamagotchi, but all of their products. Their last announcement on their blog was in September 2011. I just wish they would either let us know if they have any plans for Tamagotchi in the future or if they're done with the franchise, and put our minds at rest, whatever the answer may be. The fact that we've received no announcements, BBCW Distributors have removed all trace of Tamagotchi from their website and only two waves of Figures were released (despite the fact that 100 were announced to be released), it's not a good sign.

Edited by SamJJE101, 09 February 2012 - 02:11 AM.

Keleois

• keleois user photo

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:35 AM ( #68 )

@WarOmnimon: That's definitely bad news; I'd looked them up on the Toy Fair website at the start of February and noticed that they didn't give any specifics, so I was holding out hope on the the release of a new Tamagotchi. :/

@Keleois: I don't think you quite understand something; creating an English-language iD L would solve nothing. For starters, there have been no colour Tamagotchis preceeding to lead into the iD L, especially the iD, which was the original file download Tamagotchi. Aside from that, the language in which the Tamagotchi is in doesn't make a different to a lot of Tamagotchi fans, as translations can be made, and most of the menus and such can be memorized. For example, if you picked up a Tama-Go, I'm sure you could close your eyes and easily navigate your way to the status screen, food menu, time screen, etc. You can do the same with the Japanese Tamagotchis. Just because it's in another language doesn't make it unusable. So releasing an English iD L wouldn't make much difference, it would only allow more access to the toy other than having to buy it online.

What I do support is the release of a completely new, original Tamagotchi. Color would obviously be nice, but I care more about that actual game than the color screen. The Music Star and Tama-Go for example aren't "bad" Tamagotchis because they don't have a color screen, and the Tamagotchi iD L isn't a "good" Tamagotchi because it has a color one. The Music Star and Tama-Go itself doesn't appeal to a lot because it doesn't have a lot of the features that make a Tamagotchi great, while the Tamagotchi iD L is packed with great features. I'm sure if the Tama-Go was released in colour and the iD L was in greyscale, the iD L would still be favored.

Just my two cents.

@hwd45: I agree, but we still don't know if Tamagotchi (outside of Japan) is going to be "ignored forever". For all we know, Bandai are working on a Tamagotchi, but it's just not in as phase where it's ready for showcasing at the Toy Fair. New Tamagotchi or no, there is still no excuse for why Bandai have been so quiet in updates lately; this isn't just for Tamagotchi, but all of their products. Their last announcement on their blog was in September 2011. I just wish they would either let us know if they have any plans for Tamagotchi in the future or if they're done with the franchise, and put our minds at rest, whatever the answer may be. The fact that we've received no announcements, BBCW Distributors have removed all trace of Tamagotchi from their website and only two waves of Figures were released (despite the fact that 100 were announced to be released), it's not a good sign.

You misunderstood me. I singled out the iD L vs the other color/backlit tamagotchis because of the fact it's chock full of features. And it isn't the menus that make me need it to be in English. It's the startup of it - particularly the username. How am I to put in a username in a language I don't know? Then there's the instructions - which I can find online - but which I prefer to read on paper so my eyes don't go cross-eyed. I am also OCDed determined not to own anything in another language unless I can read the language it's in. Or is that part of my Autism? Anyway.

The color screen is only important because the tamagotchi characters are pretty and cute. It's a shame not to get the full effect of that in the game. Having a color screen would show exactly how cute my characters are.

As for the backlight, that I do require. The pixeled version is usable, but only barely. I can hardly see it, except when shining a light directly on the screen, or in direct sunlight. That's a problem for me.

As far as I know, all the backlit tamagotchis have color screens, and vice versa. So a tamagotchi with at least as many features as the tamago, but preferably as many as the iD L, in English would be so appreciated I'd be willing to spend anything up to $200 on one.