Photo
- - - - -

Welcome to the updated TamaTalk!

tamatalk news

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:31 PM ( #1 )

Hello TamaTalkers!
Well the TamaTalk software update is under way and I want to welcome you to the updated site! I worked to try and preserve a lot of the look we are all used to... In some cases, however, I had to change things from what you may be used to. I hope you all find that the changes are for the better of the site.

Some of these changes include:
  • A load of cleaner and more intuitive controls to get around the site and do things. Some things may be moved from where you found them before.. Others may be in places that actually make them easy to find so you may not have realized they were available before!
  • More modern browsing of forum topics without loading new pages and easier posting and multi-quoting.
  • I consolidated the member controls and menus into the white navigation stripe at the top of the page. I also made it so that this navigation stays at the top of the page as you scroll down. This makes it easy to access controls, update your status, check PMs/notifications, jump to another part of the site, use search, etc. The Quick Navigation replaces the old menu system we had for ages and gives you easy access to everything. The Messenger and Notification menus also give you quick access to see new messages.
  • The reputation system has been replaced with 'Likes' instead. These were always more or less the same thing but this system makes it more familiar to people. Likes to a post will also let you see who has liked a post.
  • Profiles have been changed a bit. We no longer have profile pictures + avatars (I never liked having both to begin with but now it has been removed from the software completely). Your avatar is now the only option. Customizing your profile has also been changed a bit because they got rid of some of the options... Backgrounds can be changed and I made it so that it changes all of the background instead of how it was before. I customized my profile so you can see what I mean (it's kinda ugly actually but I grew to like it during testing :P). Profiles commenting has also been improved so that you can now reply to comments left by other people.
  • Improved editor used when posting (that also auto-saves to opefully reduce those times when your browser freaks out and you lose your long post that you were working on)
  • Improved ways to ignore people or things you don't want to see (signatures, images, etc)
  • Improved mobile site interface.
  • TamaCHAT has also been updated. The biggest change to the updated chat is that you can use it on the mobile site.
  • lots more!
The overall change is to move towards becoming a more modern, simplified and easy to use site.

Hopefully you all like the changes. :D

I will still be working out some kinks and problems as we go. So please post if you encounter any bugs.

Please note! If you have problems to report please post them at this problems report topic here!
  • joshnemo, danieeel971 and SugaryGoesRAWR like this

Replies

Views

Started

09 Nov 2011

Last Post

20 Dec 2011

emzz909

• emzz909 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:32 PM ( #2 )

OMG! I love it. It's a lot easier, and the new 'Reply to this topic' will be a lot easier for my RP's. Thanks.

emzz909

• emzz909 user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:34 PM ( #3 )

But I really miss the 'Tamagotochi' Sound.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:43 PM ( #4 )

But I really miss the 'Tamagotochi' Sound.

Doh! Forgot that! I put that back in. Your browser's cache might need to be emptied for you to hear it again. Thanks for the reminder! :D

booboo1

• booboo1 user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:44 PM ( #5 )

Awesome update! Great job Admin!
Thanks a bunch. ^^

tamaturtle

• tamaturtle user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:48 PM ( #6 )

Hm... not too fond of it so far. I can't seem to find anything and the forum's look kinda messy in my opinion... but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:00 PM ( #7 )

Loving the new site, to be honest. The scrolling Menubar is a must, in my opinion, so it's great that it's now on TamaTalk too. Its so good that everything has been updated, and not just little bits and pieces here and there. The Like system is also a nice edition, I find it more welcoming than the Reputation system.

One thing that I am most happy about is the improved editor when posting. Before, whenever I was to post, it kept adding in linespaces that I didn't want, and I couldn't figure out a way how to disable that. It looks like this new editor doesn't do that, so I'm ecstatic about that. :)

Looking forward to experimenting with the rest of the sites new features. I for one am definitely excited for the new upgrade. :D

graficks

• graficks user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:12 PM ( #8 )

Very nice, Admin. Thanks for all the hard work. A HUGE improvement overall, everything looks very clean and posts seem easier to browse through. A+!

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:19 PM ( #9 )

Can we get the skins back with this software or still no? Those were fun. :)

memetchi <3

• memetchi-<3 user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:39 PM ( #10 )

Another update?
This will take some time to get used too...
  • '/={3 likes this

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:27 PM ( #11 )

Thank you to all of you... I hope you all find more to like as you poke around.

Also, I completely forgot to mention this... Please do not hesitate to post any suggestions or complaints as well as any praise you have for the update. I am a firm believer in constructive criticism so don't worry about hurting my feelings here. :P I just want to keep developing this place into something we all enjoy.

Can we get the skins back with this software or still no? Those were fun. :)

I will definitely look into doing that. This new design will be easier to tweak for things like that. First let's work out the bugs and then we can revisit this. K?

Another update?
This will take some time to get used too...

Yep... Sorry. I know it hasn't been that long since the last update. The reason for this is we waited so long to update the last time that we had to catch up. Now we are in sync with the current version so expect updates every 12-18 months.

Finally... I absolutely LOVE the new way to multi-quote! :D

Nazotchi25

• nazotchi25 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:37 PM ( #12 )

i love it!!! :D its so awesome and makes me want to hug it

(i know im weird :P )

scottyj200

• scottyj200 user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:58 PM ( #13 )

Yeah, it's pretty cool... But I can't FIND any topics anymore!

Space Unicorn

• space-unicorn user photo

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:04 PM ( #14 )

D: The profile picture was removed... that feature was cool, because I'm never changing my avvie so I wanted something else to go on my profile.

mametchifan1996

• mametchifan1996 user photo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:28 AM ( #15 )

I love the new Tamatalk! Nice work Admin! :D But, why some of my friends disappeared? From 103, I now only have 12.

Edited by mametchifan1996, 10 November 2011 - 04:32 AM.

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:41 AM ( #16 )

I love the new Tamatalk! Nice work Admin! :D But, why some of my friends disappeared? From 103, I now only have 12.

At first I thought the same too, but this is not the case. You will still have all of your 103 friends, the "Friends" category on your profile just shows 12 random friends, similar to Facebook. Refresh the page and you will see 12 different friends in the box. I believe that the friends are still ordered from oldest joined to newest joined, within the 12 that are displayed. :)

Edited by SamJJE101, 10 November 2011 - 04:42 AM.

• mametchifan1996 likes this

mametchifan1996

• mametchifan1996 user photo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:31 AM ( #17 )

At first I thought the same too, but this is not the case. You will still have all of your 103 friends, the "Friends" category on your profile just shows 12 random friends, similar to Facebook. Refresh the page and you will see 12 different friends in the box. I believe that the friends are still ordered from oldest joined to newest joined, within the 12 that are displayed. :)

I saw your post right after I discovered it :D

danieeel971

• danieeel971 user photo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:29 PM ( #18 )

My opinion is that the start page look too messy with the gradients. The older one looked more clean, I liked that. :(

mimitchi ^o^

• mimitchi-o user photo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:38 PM ( #19 )

This is horrible to me. its harder to get around and the page bugs me. I dont even like the new button to get  to your content. everything sucks about it, and I want the old one back :( it doesnt even let me reply sometimes

joshnemo

• joshnemo user photo

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:30 AM ( #20 )

The update is looking very nice, Admin! :hanatchi:

Good job! c:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamatalk, news