Photo
- - - - -

Welcome to the updated TamaTalk!

tamatalk news

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SamJJE101

• samjje101 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:44 AM ( #21 )

This is horrible to me. its harder to get around and the page bugs me. I dont even like the new button to get to your content. everything sucks about it, and I want the old one back :( it doesnt even let me reply sometimes

Sorry, but there is no point in saying "The upgrade sucks" and "I want the old one back", as its a one way upgrade; once it's been upgraded, we can't go back. Obviously, it's going to take some time to get used to, for some people more than others, but it's one of those things that we just have to take with a grain of salt and try to find the positives in, even if you really think its a negative change overall.

Lots of people said the same when TamaTalk first upgraded into the software that we've had for the past year, but as we get used to it, we learn to accept it and find the best in it. In a matter of time, I'm sure we will all get to know how the new TamaTalk operates, and it will be second nature to us all. Just be patient, you will get it eventually. :)

I for one am very optimistic with the upgrade. I guess it helps that I haven't been the most active member of TamaTalk at all, so I don't find the site too dissimilar than before. I look forward to experiencing all of the new features and upgrades added within this upgrade, and with all other future upgrades to come. I believe keeping the site modern and up to date is a brilliant thing - the world moves on, and nothing moves faster than technology, and sometimes we have to move along with it, even when we don't necessarily like it at first.
  • Admin and TamaMum like this

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:04 AM ( #22 )

I miss the little thingy under the topics, where you could like Describe it.
Welcome to the New Tamatalk!
Tell us what you think!
I loved those... :(

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:08 PM ( #23 )

I miss the little thingy under the topics, where you could like Describe it.
Welcome to the New Tamatalk!
Tell us what you think!
I loved those... :(

:o Wow I hadn't even noticed that was gone! I can't say I will miss it much though. Using your example, I'd rather the tell us what you think part be included in the title. Maybe that's just a personal preference though.

tamagotchi girl27

• tamagotchi-girl27 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:12 PM ( #24 )

Its great but I miss having an avatar for a picture

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:37 PM ( #25 )

Its great but I miss having an avatar for a picture

You still can! Go to the menu on the top bar that shows your avatar image and select the Change Photo option to upload an image. The only thing that changed is we no longer have two separate images (an avatar and a photo that shows only on the profile page).

Oh!

• oh user photo

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:48 PM ( #26 )

well, at first i kind of hated it, but i like tamatalk now more than the old update! :)
and i'm SO excited to hear that the options of changing skins might be coming up some day! that was one of the things i missed the most!

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:27 PM ( #27 )

:o Wow I hadn't even noticed that was gone! I can't say I will miss it much though. Using your example, I'd rather the tell us what you think part be included in the title. Maybe that's just a personal preference though.

Well yeah but I mean...
For example, in my log, the caption made it all cute! Like, Violet's Little Garden, yeah that's great, but "where I help Tamas grow" made it all cute :(

tamagotchi girl27

• tamagotchi-girl27 user photo

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:28 AM ( #28 )

Oh ok thank you:)

danieeel971

• danieeel971 user photo

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:32 AM ( #29 )

Just out of curiosity, how did TamaTalk look when it first started? :)

dazzilitchigirl

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:39 AM ( #30 )

I loved it right from the minute I saw it, which was the day it got updated. IT FIXES ALL MY PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

It lets me do colour, size and font properly on my log!
It stops the auto double post thing on status updates!
It LOADS FASTER instead of always going "you have posted a new topic. You have replied to a status. You have clicked a link. You have done this done that. Please wait while we transfer you." *makes me wait half an hour then logs me off*!

Now I've been registered for TWO updates...I'm starting to feel like a TamaTalk oldie...even though somehow I am still second youngest regular... :D

Great job, it's fixed all my problems! I seem to recall that on the LAST update hardly anybody liked it...it was all "I miss the old TamaTalk!" and "I wish I had taken a screenshot of the old one!", so I guess it happens every update. But I must say, both times, I thought it was a big improvement!

~ Dazzmina ~

Edited by dazzilitchigirl, 12 November 2011 - 07:40 AM.

• joshnemo likes this

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:33 PM ( #31 )

It takes a little time to fiddle about with the upgrade but as I've got more used to the new look and the changes to the layout of the site I really like that the navigation strip stays at the top of the page as you scroll - it really is easier and faster and the Quick Navigation is much better than the other drop down menus we used to have.

Like all things, it take a while to remember to navigate in a different way but it doesn't take too long to get used to it.

OldSchoolTama

• oldschooltama user photo

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:59 AM ( #32 )

I'm loving the upgrade so far. Takes some fiddling around with, but it's great! Very sleek. One thing I noticed though...where is the "birthdays today" list at the bottom of the page? I kind of miss that. I've gotten into the habit of wishing regular members a happy birthday over the past several months. Now how am I supposed to know who to wish a happy birthday to? XD

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:15 PM ( #33 )

One thing I noticed though...where is the "birthdays today" list at the bottom of the page? I kind of miss that. I've gotten into the habit of wishing regular members a happy birthday over the past several months. Now how am I supposed to know who to wish a happy birthday to? XD

That is one thing I am having a problem with. I can not get it to show up for some reason. You can see the current birthdays by going to the calendar itself. I am still working on getting it though. :)

OldSchoolTama

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:41 PM ( #34 )

That is one thing I am having a problem with. I can not get it to show up for some reason. You can see the current birthdays by going to the calendar itself. I am still working on getting it though. :)

Thanks! I know I'm going to sound like a complete newbie but I had to click on your calendar link to find the calendar. Where can I find it if I'd like to access if from the home page, for example? I don't think I saw it in the usual spot (under "More," if I remember correctly).

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:22 PM ( #35 )

It wasn't in the More menu... But it is now. :) Thanks for the reminder!

OldSchoolTama

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:43 PM ( #36 )

It wasn't in the More menu... But it is now. :) Thanks for the reminder!

Yay, awesome! Thank YOU! :)

ルリリ

• &-12523;&-12522;&-12522; user photo

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:52 PM ( #37 )

My childhood... IT'S RUINED!!!

Ah, well, I can't fix it. But there are some MAJOR flaws. For example, the image code is different. Instead of doing what we're SUPPOSED to do, like this:
[IMG]http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/elog/386/209.jpg[/IMG]
we've gotta copy the image, drag it on to the reply thing, and there: Posted Image Seems quite... Odd. And, the URL code doesn't work.

Edited by ルリリ, 15 November 2011 - 03:54 PM.

mimitchi ^o^

• mimitchi-o user photo

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:03 PM ( #38 )

just because you say ill get used to it, doesnt mean i will. i seriously do not like this, and i dont think i will get used to it. alot of it bothers me, enough for me to leave. i really really hate it.

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:00 AM ( #39 )

I am really sorry to those who do not like the upgrade. Unfortunately we hav to change to stay current. The original software we ran (similar to InvisionFree but not the same) was ancient and VERY vulnerable to being hacked because it wasn't being updated for security. We had a lot of catching up to do and so we made one giant leap to the newer software. After that I told myself I wanted to stay more current to avoid that big of a change again. This change wasn't as big of a leap but I did have to redo the skin. In redoing the skin I decided to make things easier to stay current without months of work again. So there are all these changes you are seeing that are being done for a reason. This newest version of the software really is a more modern update for the forums. There are loads of things that make searching, browsing and posting easier and faster. Our mobile site is also improved (we are probably seeing 20% of our traffic on mobile these days).

Any upgrade or change is going to have people who love it as well as some who hate it. Of course I don't want people leaving because of these changes... What I would like is for people to give it a fair chance.

Would it help if we had a topic where people could ask "how can I do this thing like I used to?" and get answers from em or other members?

Admin

• admin user photo

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:32 PM ( #40 )

Thought I would post these pictures... Check out the "old" look of the TT main index page as well as the current. The main difference is with the top right corner of the screen. We used to have a bunch of stuff just crammed up there and in the new skin it is all combined into the navbar (which now also stays at the top for easy access). Just for the sake of having it, I am also attaching a picture of what the default skin looks like just so you know what I started at. :P

Attached Thumbnails

• TT-old.jpg
  • TT-new.jpg
  • TTorig.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamatalk, news