Tamagotchi VIBE - concept mockup

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshines

TamaTalk Supporter
TamaTalk Angelgotchi
Reaction score
*The design and artwork displayed below is the sole property of graficks (Adam Swanson) from TamaTalk.com. The ideas and creative artwork are meant to be enjoyed for entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any actual product to be released from BanDai. Please do not copy or distribute this artwork without permission.*

packaging2-1.jpg

logo.jpg

Hey everyone!

Over the past week I've had some spare time to work on a really fun project: creating the next Tamagotchi! As stated above, the artwork displayed is only for concept and entertainment purposes and is NOT a reflection of an actual product from BanDai. Before I go any further, I want to let all TamaTalk members know that this idea was inspired from all of you. Your ideas, discussion and contrast are all a part of the concept I created - so thanks for giving me all of this creative energy. I hope you all enjoy looking (and dreaming) at the next greatest Tamagotchi! So...

This concept is based on an English format and would be available around the globe (because I know how much everyone out there really wants an updated colour-screen Tamagotchi in English!). Let me elaborate a bit on the rebranded Tamagotchi.

-----

Tamagotchi VIBE brand

The Tamagotchi VIBE brand idea is inspired by a feature commonly found in most small, mobile devices: a vibrating alert. With advancement in technology (especially mobile phones), I thought perhaps this new Tamagotchi VIBE could incorporate a slight vibrating alert to let you know when your Tamagotchi is hungry, stick, or generally just needs attention of some sort. This, of course, would require additional battery strength. Most of you are aware that the current Japanese ID L requires 2 AAA batteries, the VIBE would require 3. The extra battery would increase the weight a little, but nothing too serious as it would allow us to enjoy this new feature.

The word VIBE is also associated with modern music and good feelings. For example, "Have you heard that new song? What a great vibe!" or "I'm sending you good vibes right now. Good luck!" The word vibe also relates to energy and motion and so I wanted to relate the VIBE to feeling good, having fun and sharing positive energy.

-----

Tamagotchi VIBE design

The new design is focused around the VIBE brand. The inner rings design is inspired by the "pulse" energy that a vibrating or buzzing sensation creates. Think of music or a heart beat, those pulsing motions are often portrayed through energy waves of some sort. I've included higher resolution links to the concepts at the end of this post so you can see a bit more detail.

There are 7 colours available: Shiver Blue, Razor Red, Fizz Orange, UFO Green, Rave Purple, Pop Pink and Pulse Black. I thought it would be cool to release two colours that would attract very opposite genders. The Pop Pink version is designed around very feminine, girly colours. From what I've learned about two-coloured Japanese Tamagotchis (like the milky pink and blue IDs), they seem to be very popular. The Pulse Black version would be more geared to boys, it's very slick and masculine and could possibly garner a lot more attention from the male audience that Tamagotchis seems to be lacking now. Otherwise, the remainder of the other colours are fairly general and are not too feminine or masculine.

The design is also geared towards a pre-teen / teenager audience. (Of course, that's just the marketing age demographic. There are many people who are much older that play with Tamagotchis, like me!)

-----

Tamagotchi VIBE features

There are a few new features that bring this latest Tamagotchi up to speed with currently technology.

1. Vibrating alert (discussed this above)
  2. Updated Tama Town: features Facebook app and Twitter integration to share and receive items, gifts, messages, Gotchi Points and more with your friends. Of course, not everyone may have access to these social networks and is not a requirement to use TamaTown. Because social networking seems to be the new wave of communication, I thought it would be appropriate to incorporate this into the future of Tamagotchi.
  3. Unlock new items, games, characters and secret locations. Nothing too revolutionary here, just new things that keep it fresh and fun.
  4. USB connection: the bottom of the Tamagotchi VIBE has a small rubber flap than can be opened exposing a micro-USB port, similar to those found on most modern digital cameras. It's very discrete and almost unnoticeable. This would allow people to upload new items, backgrounds, characters, messages, etc from TamaTown.com to their VIBE. SImilar to how the IR function works with IDs and ID Ls, but without the IR-port required cell phone. Users could imply plug their VIBE into their computer, access TamaTown.com via the web, download the required software and start downloading fun things to their VIBE!

-----

Tamagotchi Vibe price point and availability

Because of the more advanced technology used in the VIBE compared to let's say, the TamaGO, the price point will be higher. Considering that a lot of young people have iPods, NintendoDS systems, PSP, Xbox, etc., usually these devices require games or peripherals that cost $40+ dollars (on top of the cost for the system which is usually $150+). The price point for the Tamagotchi VIBE would be around $45.99. This price does not include a USB cable or batteries (to keep the price down for the consumer and to make a profit to pay for marketing and sales strategies. I could get into this more, but the details are much too boring! LOL)

Availability for the Tamagotchi VIBE would be worldwide. It is only available in English.

-----

Conclusion

As mentioned at the beginning of this post, here's a link to higher resolution photos of the artwork. I hope everyone has enjoyed reading this and have been inspired as I have been inspired by you! Please feel free to comment on any of the ideas, artwork concept and anything else that you think is good, not good, could be improved, anything! I am very open to constructive criticism and would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading!

-----

*Also, I know there was a thread created on TamaZone and TamaTalk regarding a contest that was started by BanDai and Edison Nation as a call for entries for a new toy idea. I am aware of that thread, but have not read any details regarding the ideas and thoughts shared there. All of the ideas and thoughts expressed in this post are inspired by all members of TamaTalk and Tamagotchi fans in general. If, for some reason, you believe that I have stolen your thoughts or ideas for a new version of Tamagotchi, please PM me to discuss. Once again, these ideas are a collective expression inspired by all Tamagotchi fans from around the world and take no credit for them (with the exception of the artwork).

So how thick would it be? Tama-go? +Color? iD (L)? ;)

I don't know if you thought about it (or if it even matters ;) ) but I think you should include a keychain or those things that let you put a charm on it. They're really fun and let you personalize it. And I miss that on my iD L I can't put it on a lanyard. :(

Also, where would you get the downloads? The American Bandai website is pretty lame. Perhaps on Facebook? :)

You don't have to answer if you don't want, just trying to get a more real sense. :)

It looks amazing, and the colors are great. ;)

Wow. Your project is very advanced.

One suggestion, if you're accepting suggestions: allow for the optional use of batteries that can be recharged through the USB port. To support this there would have to be a mechanism inside the battery compartment to inform the Tamagotchi of the battery type. (Wouldn't want to try to charge non-rechargeable batteries, and also require battery-type information for the "low battery" detection circuit.)

Wow, graphics. This is simply amazing, even inspiring. It is clear that a lot of work, time and effort has gone into this, and your creative illustrations just bring everything to life. The Tamagotchi VIBE is a brilliant idea, and just what Tamagotchi needs on the market. I love the colours you chose, and I'm very much liking the look of the Pulse Black. :)

I have a few suggestions, however. Not major ones, but suggestions nevertheless.

One thing that struck me as odd was the fact that you said it would require 3x AAA batteries. My first thought was that it would make the Tamagotchi a lot bulkier then necessary (i.e. Tama-Go), but when you mentioned the USB function (great idea, by the way. I've always liked the idea of a Tamagotchi having USB-compatibility), in extension to binary's idea, why not simply have a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, like those found in cameras and mobile phones? That way, when the Tamagotchi was low on battery, all the user would have to do is simply plug it into their computer (or a wall charger), and it would save money on batteries and space in the Tamagotchi.

I would love to see there be a Lanyard Strap groove, much like those on the original +Color Tamagotchis. So on that, I'd like to talk about the marketing. You said retail price would be $45.99, just the VIBE as is. What would retail price be for the USB Cord be? Would you need a specific cord, or would any USB to USB connection do? And would you consider there being "Bundle Packs" - say the TMGCVIBE, USB cord and a Lanyard?

Finally, I'd just like to ask about forms of wireless connection, i.e. Bluetooth and WiFi. Were they considered when planning the VIBE? I'm sure it would make it a lot more convenient to communicate with TamaTown though wireless connection, but the USB feature would be there in case Wireless is not an option.

They're more questions than suggestions, but I thought I'd say them anyway. I really love the idea, it's great to see something user-submitted that is so impressive. It almost makes me want to give it a go myself, although I'd never be able to come up with something so sophisticated, let along make the graphics to go with it. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting concept! Impressive graphics too, nothing less than I'd expect from you though ;)

Something that I think could be fun to add to a tamagotchi would be wireless connectivity - so you can join a network and potentially 'download' friend's tamagotchi characters (like connecting, but can happen all over the world) and get married to them, give gifts etc. - so places on places like here, you'd be able to connect with people in totally different countries and your tamagotchis can be friends or potentially mates. Nintendo have taken advantage of this potential by allowing people to battle or trade their Pokemon all over the world through a wireless connection and it's proven really popular in online communities.

A fun piece of technology used by the very advanced Aibo robot is to keep an online diary of the day's events. I think this could be a really fun feature for a tamagotchi to have, and would go hand-in-hand with wireless compatibility, allowing the tamagotchi to give feedback to it's owner on it's care, and also give a happy response to things like playing a game, earning money, meeting with friends etc.

Here's an example of an Aibo's diary:

https://aibo.vnunetblogs.com/

Obviously the Aibo's technology is far more advanced than tamagotchi's, such as the robot having a camera and being completely mobile(!), but a simplified version of the diary feature could be entertaining to owners and offer a very low-maintenance way to get more out of, and learn more about the personality of, their tamagotchi.

Ooh I was wondering when we were going to see some graphic design from you! :D

It's nice to see some Tamagotchi designs that are more gender-neutral in their appeal. Although I adore the multitude of girly designs that exist, I always felt sorry for the guys out there who want to collect Tamagotchis without jeopardising their masculinity!

Actually, I was talking to my partner Jonathan yesterday (I was trying to convince him he needs to buy me an ID L) and he said he was surprised that Tamagotchis are still using infra-red. We agreed that it would be better if they used Blue-Tooth, and infra-red has become sort of obsolete of late. What do you think?

Wow, That is really good!, Do you mind if I repost this in my forum? Also, I think some key featured would be WiFi or Bluetooth, I LOVE THE USB IDEA! and maybe a higher resolution lcd? maybe large, to take advantage of the shell, without making the actual Tama larger than necessary??

Now, this is just a concept, but i think you should submit this to that BanDai contest thing! :)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions - they are greatly appreciated. I'll try to cover everyone's questions in this post, but please feel free to ask more questions and let me know if you have any other questions.

So how thick would it be? Tama-go? +Color? iD (L)? ;)

Also, where would you get the downloads? The American Bandai website is pretty lame. Perhaps on Facebook? :)
My assumption would be that the VIBE is the same size as the ID and ID L. Downloads would come from TamaTown.com, but it would be a completely revised and improved version - essentially it wouldn't look or interact the same as the current version. Perhaps that's a future project for a group of fellow TT's to look into.

One suggestion, if you're accepting suggestions: allow for the optional use of batteries that can be recharged through the USB port. To support this there would have to be a mechanism inside the battery compartment to inform the Tamagotchi of the battery type.
This is a fantastic idea and it never crossed my mind for some reason! This is definitely the way to go!

why not simply have a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, like those found in cameras and mobile phones?

I would love to see there be a Lanyard Strap groove, much like those on the original +Color Tamagotchis. So on that, I'd like to talk about the marketing. You said retail price would be $45.99, just the VIBE as is. What would retail price be for the USB Cord be? Would you need a specific cord, or would any USB to USB connection do? And would you consider there being "Bundle Packs" - say the TMGCVIBE, USB cord and a Lanyard?

Finally, I'd just like to ask about forms of wireless connection, i.e. Bluetooth and WiFi. Were they considered when planning the VIBE? I'm sure it would make it a lot more convenient to communicate with TamaTown though wireless connection, but the USB feature would be there in case Wireless is not an option.
Great questions and suggestions! With binary's idea of using rechargeable batteries, perhaps it's possible to eliminate the 3rd battery? I'm not sure, that's more of an engineering skill - that which I know nothing about. I know that a lot of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries in Canada and the US cost around $20-$50 and didn't want to tack that on to the already steep-ish price of the toy. Most toys (in general) take either AA or AAA batteries as it's more cost efficient (initially) for the consumer. If there was a way to stick a cheap lithium-ion battery in the VIBE, I'd definitely do it as it would allow the shell design to become thinner than the ID and ID L.

Accessories are a GRAND idea - Violetchilluvr3 mentioned wanting a lanyard to attach as well. Perhaps things like charging cradles, lanyards, cases (skins) and other accessories could be available separately? I never thought of this, but I think many Tamagotchi customers would be up for additional accessories. USB cords retail anywhere from $10-$30 dollars. In fact, I think I've even seen them at discount and dollar stores. It wouldn't be a special USB cable, just a general one that may have already came with your existing digital camera, mobile phone, etc - although I'm not sure if the micro USB cable was the best option to use as it looks as though it may be more expensive. Definitely need to research this more, but I think the requirement of having a USB connection of some sort is a must. Bundle Packs are a great idea - definitely tack on to the cost of the product, but definitely possible!

I figured a question about wireless connectivity would come up. The reason I left out the option for WiFi and Bluetooth is because they are MAJOR battery drainers. Because this is such a small toy and fairly basic in operation, I wasn't sure how the addition of either of those components would affect price and/or battery life. Perhaps if the VIBE had a lithium-ion battery the idea of wireless connectivity would be more plausible? I would be afraid that people connecting using Bluetooth or WiFi would drain the battery quickly and end up ruining their gameplay - there needs to be a balance so it's just a matter of finding it with technical components, play time, battery life, cost, marketing, etc. Also, with the addition of Bluetooth and WiFi comes networking and connectivity issues. It also requires additional software and more hardware to be installed on and inside the VIBE. Ultimately I want the VIBE to be a simple toy to use without the hassle of dealing with networking and wireless issues. USB cables and ports are old technology, but they are tried, tested and very reliable. If there was a way to implement wireless connectivity without the hassle of connecting to a network and inefficient battery life, I would MOST DEFINITELY be open to this!

Actually, I was talking to my partner Jonathan yesterday (I was trying to convince him he needs to buy me an ID L) and he said he was surprised that Tamagotchis are still using infra-red. We agreed that it would be better if they used Blue-Tooth, and infra-red has become sort of obsolete of late. What do you think?
I agree, the infra-red ports are definitely a lesser-used technology as of late. I kept the ports as a cheap and basic way to connect to other Tamas, but perhaps it could be disregarded all together with Bluetooth as a way to connect to other VIBEs only? (not the web) Like I was saying above, I know that wireless connectivity can be a battery drainer, but perhaps a simple Bluetooth connection between VIBEs could eliminate the IR port all together? It's definitely worth exploring as I would much prefer BT over IR. :)

maybe a higher resolution lcd? maybe large, to take advantage of the shell, without making the actual Tama larger than necessary??
Those suggestions are definitely possible - larger and higher resolution screens require more battery juice, but if there is a way to balance those additions without losing battery life - then yes, I would LOVE to incorporate a larger, higher resolution screen.

I'm glad everyone is sharing their ideas, it's fun to imagine all the possibilities! Positive VIBES for everyone! :)

Hey man, I Photoshopped the packaging a bit to make it more, boxy :) If you want me to remove i will ;) Also, WHAT FONTDID YOU USE FOR THIS (TAMAGOTCHI, BLUE)??!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!
packaging2-1%20copy.jpg

It says DanBai on the package. :huh:
Good catch! Because Bandai's logo is a registered trademark, I wanted to cover my butt and use a logo that looked similar to Bandai's, but isn't. Legally, one isn't allowed to use any registered trademarked logo or term without permission from the trademark holder. Legal stuff! :rolleyes:

Good catch! Because Bandai's logo is a registered trademark, I wanted to cover my butt and use a logo that looked similar to Bandai's, but isn't. Legally, one isn't allowed to use any registered trademarked logo or term without permission from the trademark holder. Legal stuff! :rolleyes:
True. You can't use Bandai's logo like forging it like JiDan. :rolleyes:

the thing about the rechargable batteries, wouldn't it be better if there were two diff. batteries? so then while you are recharging one you can just pop in the other? (it might seem obvious but it may have not occurred...) the other is that I would love to have lots of accessories for it *fun*

have you sent this idea to BanDai yet?

I can't get over how exciting it would be to have an english color tama!

also if BanDai WERE to make this, how long would it be for them to finish it?

so exciting. even thought this is just a concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back