Photo
- - - - -

Your favourite Studio Ghibli film?

animation japanese hayao miyazaki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

graficks

• graficks user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:50 PM ( #1 )

Lately I've been on a Studio Ghibli movie bend. Their films are absolutely stunning and magical and I have become so deeply inspired and entranced by their films! Initially I was not all that impressed with "Ponyo", the first Ghibli film I watched. I thought it was too random and all over the place, it was as if it was too far fetched. But then I watched "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Spirited Away" and I realized that there was something very simple that separated these animated films from others: that in fact were far fetched and that's what makes them so wonderful. Once I got over that hurdle, I watched "Ponyo" again and it was simply magical.

So what is your favourite Ghibli film? After watching all English dubbed versions, my favourites would have have to be "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Howl's Moving Castle".

Replies

Views

Started

03 Jan 2012

Last Post

18 Mar 2012

DoerreFreak

• doerrefreak user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:31 PM ( #2 )

I totally love Howl's Moving Castle. The music, the story, even the animation is amazing! Trust me, you won't regret sitting down to watch this one :lol:
  • graficks likes this

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:02 AM ( #3 )

I love the Ghibil films - some of my favorites and definitely something to "collect"!

I was not sure about Ponyo the first time I watched it either :P - but it has grown on me!

My Neighbour Totoro is my favorite because it always leaves me feeling happy.

Spirited Away and Porco Rosso come close second (and I can't say which is better) because I love the animation in them - the islands and hidden beaches that feature in Porco Rosso are stunning and a lovely example of fine art.

I would recommend you also try watching them in Japanese with English sub titles - some of the Ghibli films definitely work better this way (somehow) - I'm thinking particularly of Whisper of the Heart and Princess Mononoke.

I like the art in Howl's Moving Castle but I had already read the book (on which the film is based) and whilst the film is good as a story in it's own right, it really didn't do justice to the book - there were several changes to the story line which disappointed me a little.

graficks

• graficks user photo

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:03 PM ( #4 )

Thanks for the recommendations TamaMum! I watched "Whisper of the Heart" last night - I love the message the film strongly pushes: find your gems, polish them and don't let anyone prove you can't otherwise!

As silly as it sounds, I saw a lot of my own struggles in the main character (even though she's a teenage girl), I suppose at no matter what age we're all searching for "something" more profound, more meaningful, more passionate. I wish more young kids had access to this movie, I think a lot can be learned from the story.

I have "Porco Rosso", "Pom Poko" and "Grave of Fireflies" on the to-watch list....maybe all this weekend? LOL! Regardless, I'm excited!

x.Cant//Knit.x

• xcantknitx user photo

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:59 PM ( #5 )

The Cat Returns!

Best movie ever created.
  • *Hayden* likes this

XBlackIrisX

• xblackirisx user photo
  • Group: Retired TamaTalk Guides

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:35 PM ( #6 )

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite by FAR! However I love all of their movies.

Violetchi luv

• violetchi-luv user photo

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:10 PM ( #7 )

The only one I've ever seen is Ponyo. It was good.

i<3froyo

• i<3froyo user photo

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:39 AM ( #8 )

Howl's moving castle definately! I also like the cat returns, spirirted away, castle in the sky, totoro, and nassica (sp?) of the valley of the wind.

Edited by i<3froyo, 29 February 2012 - 09:40 AM.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:04 AM ( #9 )

Kiki's Delivery Service!

But I haven't watched any of the movies. :P I just read the Kiki manga once. :lol:

Rainbow Dash

• rainbow-dash user photo

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:32 AM ( #10 )

I seen some of them. My faves are probably My neighbor Totoro, Ponyo and sort of The Cat Returns. I've also seen some of Prinsess Mononoke. Cute wolves, but I didn't really understand what it was about. :(

Edited by Rainbow Dash, 10 March 2012 - 01:33 AM.

cynicalBookworm

• cynicalbookworm user photo

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:38 PM ( #11 )

Spirited Away is my favorite.

graficks

• graficks user photo

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:59 AM ( #12 )

I just recently watched "The Secret World of Arriety" that was released here in North America - and it was so wonderful! The music and scenery was just spectacular, typical of Ghibli movies. If you haven't seen this one yet, I'd highly recommend doing so! Definitely one of my top Ghibli films to date.
  • TamaMum likes this

Awesome

• awesome user photo

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:17 PM ( #13 )

@graficks: I watched that too! It was amazing. Sad when it ended tho. And kinda surprised when I learned who voice acted in it.
Howl's Moving Castle
Nausicaa
Spirited Away.
Princess Mononoke
Cat Returns
It's really awesome when you watch them again and see things you missed before.

My failure = can't pick one...or even just a few

Edited by Awesome, 18 March 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: animation, japanese, hayao miyazaki