Tama Shell & Screen Care Guide

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello! This topic is all about how to keep your Tama's outer shell and screen clean, clear and good as new!

TOP TIPS

1. Wear is unavoidable; if you run a Tama (especially Connections) for a few weeks, expect the paint to start coming off and fading. However, if it's really faded, you might want to re-paint it. I'm not an expert on this, so you might want to create a topic about it in Help For New Tama Owners.

2. DON'T use any kind of metallic marker on any Tama. I have made this mistake several times, and the result is a dirty, half-faded colour that won't come off whatever you do. Either paint it properly or leave the shell alone!

3. Avoid touching the screen with your fingers; the result is bad enough on Connections, but much worse on the iD (L).

HOW TO KEEP THE SHELL CLEAN

Use this routine every week, and your Tama's shell should stay clean, although this routine does not prevent wear.

1. Get some kitchen paper and slightly wet it, then wring it out.

2. Rub it all over your Tama CAREFULLY, avoiding getting it in the screen and battery compartment. You can do this with the Tama's battery still in.

3. Carefully dry your Tama using kitchen paper. You may also want to dry inside the battery compartment (not that it should be wet in the first place). If so, I recommend removing the batteries first.

HOW TO KEEP THE SCREEN CLEAN

This is quite simple. Simply spit on the screen, then rub it in with your sleeve/other clothing. Don't play with your iD L under the covers at night - your breath steams up the screen. Yes, I've tried it! :D

TAMA EMERGENCY KIT

I started carrying one of these around after my V4.5 ran out of batteries right as we were driving away from the house on an all-day trip. It's pretty simple; you can store it in any backpack or other bag you take around with you, or simply in your pocket. It's a good idea to put it in a sandwich bag so nothing spills on the batteries in it. Here is what it needs to contain:

Batteries for whatever version of Tama you have (vintages = I think LR44, Connections = CR2032, Color Tamas/Tama-Go = AAA alkaline batteries)

Screwdriver - check it works on your Tama first

Clear plastic sandwich bag - as well as one to carry your kit in, your need one to put your TAMA in if it starts raining

You can also add other stuff, if you need anything else. ;)

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Did you know, Tamas can get glitched or broken if you take the batteries out incorrectly? It's happened to me, and I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else!

To safely take batteries out:

If your Tama takes CR2032 (small round flat batteries), simply flick it out using a screwdriver, but not with too much force.

If your Tama takes AAA batteries, ease the batteries out using your fingernail. It should take about 2 seconds to get each battery out.

Take extreme care replacing LR44 batteries (smaller than CR2032, found in vintage Tamas) since I almost broke my Angel replacing the batteries!

I hope I helped you keep your Tama safe and clean! :)

~ Dazzmina ~

You're better off using a lint-free cloth then spiting on it.

You're better off using a lint-free cloth then spiting on it.
Sorry if this sounds rude, but I have no idea what a lint-free cloth is and I'm pretty sure some other people don't either. This isn't a guide written by an expert on the subject, nor is it a guide for people who want to be experts on the subject. It's just a casual guide with a few tips on how to keep your Tama in good condition without buying any extra stuff. ;)

~ Dazzmina ~

Good tips :D I'll use them. I remember a v2 I was using... the batteries died and as I tried to pry them out with a steak knife (WHAT was I thinking???) the battery flung across the room. Needless to say, there are little bits of plastic chipped off of the battery holder. And batteries become loose even while under the plastic cover.

I also used to take my tamas into the shower with me (I couldn't bear letting them steam up on the counter) and putting them under layers and layers of plastic baggies... then sealing them and closing the last sealed one with a rubber band. Safe for pools, too, though you might lose them unless you put a pocket of air in it so it floats.

Spitting on the screen is really quite disgusting, I'd really recommend using screen cleaning wipes made for electronics or a microfibre cloth used for cleaning screens instead. Also to prevent scratching, a screen protector meant for mobile phones can be cut to size and stuck on very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back