Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

TamaTalk's logo: Which do you like better?

tamatalk logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: TamaTalk's logo (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Which TamaTalk logo would you like better for the forums?

1. I like the original logo (27 votes [30.68%])

Percentage of vote: 30.68%

2. I like the new logo from the entry page (61 votes [69.32%])

Percentage of vote: 69.32%

Vote

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:42 PM ( #1 )

Hello TamaTalkers!
I wanted to get your input on something. Hopefully everyone has seen our new entry page designed by our very own graficks. Having the snazzy new entry page with it's new look for the TT logo got me wondring what you all think about our current logo. The current logo you see at the top of this page was created a LONG time ago when the site first opened (and back when I had a lot to learn about running a site and designing a cool logo). I have seen many suggestions about updating the tama in the logo as well. What do you all think about using the logo from the entry page for the forum itself? Take a look at the two logos and then please discuss and vote to let me know what you all like.

Posted Image

Replies

Views

Started

06 Feb 2012

Last Post

24 Apr 2012

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:57 PM ( #2 )

I like both styles very much but personally, I prefer the old style TAMA TALK logo.

It's become such an iconic graphic for me and in my mind I instantly associate it with everything and everyone about this site.

However, I wouldn't say don't update the logo if you feel it needs refreshing.

But I would be inclined to go for a less obvious and significant change to it's appearance to start with.
Perhaps something like adding a blue fill colour to the existing text and a darker blue outline to the font - similar to the colours used for the entrance page perhaps?
  • ApertureGotchi likes this

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:01 PM ( #3 )

Thanks TM! :D

This is the kind of input I am looking for. I'd love to hear from everyone on this... Please don't hesitate to be honest and share your thoughts!

SailorRosette

• sailorrosette user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:14 PM ( #4 )

I wouldn't mind a change. It seems like we've updated many other things. I'm thinking... Why not the logo too.

kuchipatchi.is.blue55

• kuchipatchiisblue55 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:19 PM ( #5 )

I like both styles very much but personally, I prefer the old style TAMA TALK logo.

It's become such an iconic graphic for me and in my mind I instantly associate it with everything and everyone about this site.

However, I wouldn't say don't update the logo if you feel it needs refreshing.

But I would be inclined to go for a less obvious and significant change to it's appearance to start with.
Perhaps something like adding a blue fill colour to the existing text and a darker blue outline to the font - similar to the colours used for the entrance page perhaps?

i agree with TM, i prefer the old logo. to me, it's just part of the site's design. with the newer one, i think it would look a bit out of place with the simple looks of tamatalk.

dazzilitchigirl

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:21 PM ( #6 )

I love the old logo, it's the one part of TamaTalk that remains unchanged over the years. To me, TamaTalk is like a second home, and just as I hate my mom constantly rearranging my bedroom I also dislike TamaTalk changing logos and styles all the time. I'd be quite happy with the original design (I think that was still there in 2009, when i joined), but somehow it had to be changed. I know of course my personal tastes shouldn't have a big impact on TamaTalk, but I'm just telling you what I think. If people won't accept TamaTalk looking "old", it's not the site for them, because one of the great things about Tamas is that certain versions never get outdated. At my school, people tease you for playing certain computer games that are old, and we shouldn't let that spread over to TamaTalk.

~ Dazzmina ~

graficks

• graficks user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:51 PM ( #7 )

Hey everyone! I thought I may as well pipe in as there are a few details I wanted to share regarding the design. First of all, it's great to see everyone's opinions and thoughts about the logo concept, regardless of your view. It's a great community effort and I believe everyone's opinions are valid.

The idea behind the concept was to give TamaTalk a consistent look and feel, essentially something to match the landing page graphic. Most companies, brands, and products share a common "brand" across the board - ranging from print to web, to product packaging and signage. TamaTalk is a web based community so there's no real worry about keeping the logo consistent anywhere else but here. Regardless, I thought it would be great if TamaTalk's logo was consistent within it's own presence.

There are many differences between the old and the new. The main difference being the typeface used. I wanted to use a typeface with more life, more spring, something that communicated that Tamagotchi is very much alive. In my humble opinion, the current typeface doesn't express that, it is somewhat dated and flat. I do, however, respect that other members may have an emotional association with the current logo and a drastic modification can be a hard thing to process...initially. The logo also incorporates blues and gradients that are modern and fresh, think of it as a "movement of colour".

Another thing I wanted to point out was where my inspiration came from. As you can see below, the Japanese Tamagotchi logo incorporates all the spring, zest and bounce that the brand deserves.

Posted Image

I work as an art director for a small publishing company and often develop a lot of hands-on informational products that people use in schools, governments, HR departments, etc. I believe it's important to design something visually interesting and engaging, otherwise people won't pick it up and use it. While this practice may not apply to TamaTalk directly, I wanted to use my professional practice to help TamaTalk look the part of that exciting and vibrant community that we all love and adore. Quite simply, I do not feel the current logo expresses that. I am so grateful that Admin used the landing page graphic I designed as it communicates that TamaTalk is current, fresh and full of life!

With that said, I believe it's also very important to embrace the past. The past shapes us into who we are today and the same can be said for TamaTalk. Too much change can often be compared to dropping a bomb - it is explosive and can leave many negative effects on those who are around it. But we can also walk away learning something from that explosion, perhaps it will give us the courage to be more brave and to embrace life's unexpected ups and downs, bumps and slides.

Regardless of what the logo looks like, TamaTalk will always be a thriving and vibrant community. This is just the perspective of a designer who loves Tamagotchis and wants to see the best for this community!

Please keep the discussion moving forward :)
  • joshnemo, ApertureGotchi and tamacrazy96 like this

Agent_Nami

• agent-nami user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:26 PM ( #8 )

I like both, as well! But I prefer the older version! :)

booboo1

• booboo1 user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:31 PM ( #9 )

I like the newer version, I think it fits Tamagotchi's more because it's brighter and more lively, like what Graficks said!
The old logo is okay, but I'm always the one that loves bright and happy colours! xD

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:54 PM ( #10 )

I'm somewhere in the middle...
I think the old one is a little... blah. The new one, I think, looks absolutely fantastic and perfect on the entrance page. BUT, if you were to put it on the bar that follows you everywhere, not only would the bar have to be thicker, blocking more text, but it would also be kind of distracting. If you were to keep the old one in the bar that follows you, then I think it would look better although it would be non-matching and a little awkward.
I think the new logo would look good in the corner at the TOP of each page, where- sorry to say- you wouldn't be seeing it most of the time. It might also be a little... square (shaped) to put underneath the V3; it would make it longer, and I personally think that it's a good shape now.
I think that you should just make the current logo have a little more PIZAZZ. :) As in, maybe make it bolder and change it to blue. Make it somewhere in between. :)

Orandatchi

• orandatchi user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:54 PM ( #11 )

I must say that I love the new one better. :mellow:
Also, I would suggest changing the vintage Mimitchi on the logo to the anime image of her? Posted Image

Edited by Orandatchi, 06 February 2012 - 04:58 PM.

+Mametchi+

• mametchi user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:28 PM ( #12 )

Hi I'm a noob here. :ichigotchi: I'm not familiar with the older logo but I like the new one better than the one now. I think if you decide to keep the one you have now I would change the green screen behind Mimitchi. :mimitchi:

To me this forum looks like it could use a breath of fresh air and a new logo would do just that. I also totally agree with graficks and orandatchi.

'/={3

• 3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:29 PM ( #13 )

Oh, you've changed so much already--
Don't change the thing wive all known and loved for so long :(
since what--2004?
I like the old one!

kuromametchifan123

• kuromametchifan123 user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:51 PM ( #14 )

Oh gosh, tough decision. >.< I live the new one but the old one is cute too... I think I like the new logo better, it matches the new entry page and goes with the TT update. :)

TicTax

• tictax user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:55 PM ( #15 )

I like the new one well the sites changed enough already so why not change the logo?

melody miku

• melody-miku user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:21 PM ( #16 )

i like the fancier one it is cute and that is what tamagotchi is all about right???

Southparkkennyfan

• southparkkennyfan user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:37 PM ( #17 )

New one. If everythuing must change, why not the logo? Plus, I was suprised at first when I saw the new logo. Not the mg-what's-happening suprsed, but the omgthisisreallygreat kind. Plus, I think that Tamagotchi is ALL about cute things, plus colourfullness. You wouldn't walk up to a rainbow and say "Well, I like a black and wwhite version better." I don't think you'd like one, as that would take all the fun away from looking at rainbows. Also, the new TT logo is something that 'd really like. The old one is just, well, bland and blech.

It`s Teri

• its-teri user photo

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:35 PM ( #18 )

I personally prefer the new one, it looks cute, and everything else has changed. So why not?

joshnemo

• joshnemo user photo

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:18 AM ( #19 )

I prefer the newer design. It matches the front page, and it shows consistency throughout the website's design. I don't see the original text to be iconic. The little Tamagotchi shell is far more iconic in my opinion. If the egg still remains there with the new logo, I would definitely be pleased! :blink:

chrispilot2293

• chrispilot2293 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:55 AM ( #20 )

I think you should do like with the OLD site, and have a copy of the theme installed, but with the new logo inplace of the old one, and another with the old logo :) I knoe this is possible, i have an IPBoard 3.2.3 forum and have figure out how to do this! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamatalk, logo