Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

TamaTalk's logo: Which do you like better?

tamatalk logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: TamaTalk's logo (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Which TamaTalk logo would you like better for the forums?

1. I like the original logo (27 votes [30.68%])

Percentage of vote: 30.68%

2. I like the new logo from the entry page (61 votes [69.32%])

Percentage of vote: 69.32%

Vote

dazzilitchigirl

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:58 AM ( #41 )

Oh, you've changed so much already--
Don't change the thing wive all known and loved for so long :(
since what--2004?
I like the old one!

I know exactly how you feel - I've been on TT for just a few months longer than you, I'm really attached to the old logo. We could brighten it up a bit, but we've GOT to use Mimitchi, and the old version of Mimitchi too. Mimitchi was the first ever Tama character and it just seems crazy not to use her. We could change the screen to a bright iD L background and make the V3 a brighter blue maybe even with a design, but we really shouldn't make it too new.

The reason I say this - a lot of impressions go on the logo. Let's say we used the new logo. A 15-year-old girl might love Tamas, and she might find a forum about Tamas called TamaTalk. She clicks on it, and finds this dark blue background with a cartoon-like logo. Her reaction: 1. This is is kids site and 2. It's for boys (although these assumptions are not correct). A lot of us here are teenage girls, so we really don't want to put off that audience. At the same time, we want to keep younger kids, boys and adults also on the site. The current logo - a simple V3 - is attractive for all people.

Also, the new logo might attract very young kids (4-7 year olds) who wouldn't do well on TamaTalk because they are simply too young to be on a forum site. Although I have nothing against younger kids, TamaTalk is not the place for them, and with the new logo, it will seem like a kids site when actually I'm almost too young for it at 10 years old.

My main point is this: The new logo will attract very few of the right audience, and will attract more younger kids and less of the intended audience, teens and adults. TamaTalk will degenerate into a kids site if kids who are too young come here. If people want a kids site, they should go to Moshi Monsters or Webkinz or TamaTown, but TamaTalk isn't a kids site and I think we all want it to stay that way.

Thanks for reading

~ Dazzmina ~
  • tamatown123 likes this

kuchipatchi.is.blue55

• kuchipatchiisblue55 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:37 AM ( #42 )

I know exactly how you feel - I've been on TT for just a few months longer than you, I'm really attached to the old logo. We could brighten it up a bit, but we've GOT to use Mimitchi, and the old version of Mimitchi too. Mimitchi was the first ever Tama character and it just seems crazy not to use her. We could change the screen to a bright iD L background and make the V3 a brighter blue maybe even with a design, but we really shouldn't make it too new.

The reason I say this - a lot of impressions go on the logo. Let's say we used the new logo. A 15-year-old girl might love Tamas, and she might find a forum about Tamas called TamaTalk. She clicks on it, and finds this dark blue background with a cartoon-like logo. Her reaction: 1. This is is kids site and 2. It's for boys (although these assumptions are not correct). A lot of us here are teenage girls, so we really don't want to put off that audience. At the same time, we want to keep younger kids, boys and adults also on the site. The current logo - a simple V3 - is attractive for all people.

Also, the new logo might attract very young kids (4-7 year olds) who wouldn't do well on TamaTalk because they are simply too young to be on a forum site. Although I have nothing against younger kids, TamaTalk is not the place for them, and with the new logo, it will seem like a kids site when actually I'm almost too young for it at 10 years old.

My main point is this: The new logo will attract very few of the right audience, and will attract more younger kids and less of the intended audience, teens and adults. TamaTalk will degenerate into a kids site if kids who are too young come here. If people want a kids site, they should go to Moshi Monsters or Webkinz or TamaTown, but TamaTalk isn't a kids site and I think we all want it to stay that way.

Thanks for reading

~ Dazzmina ~

i kind of agree with that, we really don't want to attract the wrong audience. however, if kids are honest, parents might keep them from joining, because they need a registration form, right? i think we should mix the old and new logo, something that's simple, mature, and fun.

Edited by kuchipatchi.is.blue55, 09 February 2012 - 10:37 AM.

graficks

• graficks user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:45 AM ( #43 )

I think Dazzmina makes some very good points about attracting the right audience. I would like to point out a few details regarding age and gender demographic before any final decisions are made.

I think we can all agree that Tamagotchis, especially Japanese versions, are marketed toward younger girls. While there are many males, including myself, that collect and play with them it's important to find a balance between the two genders. The idea behind the intro page graphic was to use a blue (which is the most neutral and popular colour that appeals to both males and females - a bit of colour theory there), but then to also use a rainbow to incorporate colours that are attractive to both male and female.

Tying over into the new logo, I wanted to improve on the older elements of the logo, using blues again, just like the current V3 that we see. I disagree with Dazzmina that the new logo could attract the wrong audience. The current versions of ID Ls are generally marketing towards girls, with their sparkly designs and diamond-like appearance. I think if anything, this new logo would increase the opportunity of young girls becoming more attracted to this site. While at the same time, I've used the gender neutral blue shell design so that males feel as equally attracted to the newest and latest Tamagotchi.

I also disagree that the logo will attract a younger audience. I've posted some screen shots of TamaTalk, Tamagotchi.com, and the Japanese Tamagotchi website to give everyone a better idea of what current Tamagotchi sites look like side-by-side. I think TamaTalk stacks up very nicely beside them - current, updated and gender neutral. IMO, the Tamagotchi.com and Japanese Tama sites are slightly more "cartoony" than TamaTalk. Let's also not forget that Tamagotchi is first and foremost a virtual pet, then with spin-offs like cartoons, movies, plush dolls, accessories, etc. I don't believe we have to worry about attracting a younger audience due to the nature of BanDai doing the demographic work for us - which they have been doing since 1996.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Let's keep in mind that we want to send the right message to all new and current Tamagotchi users: that Tamagotchi is fun, exciting, and a far from dormant toy. Let's ask ourselves: does a V3 communicate that Tamagotchis are very much alive and active? Does it show that we are a forward community? How does it show that there are newer and more current models than that of the V3?

On the flip side, we have to honour TamaTalk's past. I think we can improve on the logo by honouring certain elements like colour, type placement and character animations - all of which I've taken into consideration when designing the logo. Another user pointed out that they thought the logo didn't need to be changed, but that the change was welcome. I think this is a very good point because what we have is great already, yes I agree, but how can we make it better? Ultimately, I think, that's what everyone wants at the end of the day - to be better!
  • joshnemo, booboo1, kuromametchifan123 and 1 other like this

'/={3

• 3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:34 PM ( #44 )

oh nononononono... dont change it..
tbh, ill probably quit by then.
youve changed a bit too much for my liking.

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo
  • Group: Validating

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:19 PM ( #45 )

It's a really hard desicion to make. If someone logs into the site and looks at the logo then they won't think it's a "V3". Other models look like that, it's just a plain Tamagotchi that brings back memories. If you put an ID L, people who join the site may forget those nice Connection versions. Everyone will keep getting ID L's and they'll forget about the American versions (well that could happen). Take me for example, I have a V4, Music Star, and a Tama Go. I log in to the site, and then i see a new tamagotchi on the Logo. I make a topic about it asking what tamagotchi it is. Then everyone will say "It's an ID L, they're really good, better than those silly connections". Then, I could get one and the word might keep spreading "Connections are bad, the ID L rocks!". I'm not saying other people don't have/want an ID L, but people might stop buying the Connection versions-thats all.

Edited by tamatown123, 10 February 2012 - 02:31 AM.

caomi

• caomi user photo

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:03 AM ( #46 )

I like the new logo on the entry page but I couldn't imagine it in the logo keep it the way it is

nekopan

• nekopan user photo

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:00 AM ( #47 )

I voted for the old logo,but I do prefer the new one. If you were to install the new logo, it wouldn't really match the whole site theme. I guess if the whole site was revamped to match the new logo I would like it more.

kuromametchibeast

• kuromametchibeast user photo

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:49 PM ( #48 )

Well... i sorta like both. I wouldnt really care if you changed it. somethings are better new, while somethings should have never became new.

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:38 AM ( #49 )

oh nononononono... dont change it..
tbh, ill probably quit by then.
youve changed a bit too much for my liking.

That's a real shame. It sounds like you are saying you would quit TamaTalk because the design of the logo changed and because we upgraded the site's software (the original software we ran was ancient and VERY vulnerable to being hacked because it wasn't being updated for security). O-o

I know it can be hard to adjust to changes especially when you liked the site exactly the way it was before, but try to think about all the members you've met and got to know, the different info you find useful here - not just about tamas - and the help / friendship you yourself bring to TamaTalk when you visit. Don't forget that others will probably miss you if you quit! Seems such a shame to threaten to quit over a logo design...
  • Admin, joshnemo, Mallow_cup and 14 others like this

Mallow_cup

• mallow-cup user photo

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:33 AM ( #50 )

I personally love the new logo. I think the old one was....well old. It was time for a change and the new logo looks really professional and the graphics are legit.

haleyhashats

• haleyhashats user photo

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:56 PM ( #51 )

Alright. I think a fresh, new logo is exactly what TamaTalk needs - to be quite honest. The update on the entry page is attracting the right audience. Tamagotchi's are created for younger children. Ages 7 / 8 +. The logo we have now, while appealing, doesn't exactly define the cuteness, the energy, or the enthusiasm that Tamagotchi's have come to portray. Logo's are the first impression of a site, and most people looking for Tamagotchi information are probably ranging around 9 - 15 years old. Since that is the around the age where Tamagotchi's are more popular. Sure, we have younger children and older adults looking up information on Tamagotchi's, but the age range mentioned earlier is what Tamagotchi's are more geared towards. Therefor, by using the new logo, it shows people that we are a fun, cute, upbeat site. Which is what we are! Children may be put off by the logo, assuming that it's for older people - and won't even come to glance at TamaTalk, I remember that's what I did when I was younger. I had come across TamaTalk when I was in fourth or third grade, and I had seen the logo and assumed that it was for older people. However, I eventually went into the forums (when I was looking for information on Tamagotchi's a few months later) and was surprised to find such an age range of people ranging from 10 to 30! Seeing as how my initial assumption was that the site was more teenage +. So, I guess my point is that the newer logo wouldn't be attracting the wrong audience at all! In fact, we'd be bringing in the ages that the Tamagotchi's were intended for! Plus, many people are attracted to sites that not only are informative, but have a more updated logo, look, feel / layout. (:

That's just my two cents into the pool of opinions! haha (:

Edited by haleyhashats, 12 February 2012 - 12:57 PM.

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:35 AM ( #52 )

Alright. I think a fresh, new logo is exactly what TamaTalk needs - to be quite honest. The update on the entry page is attracting the right audience. Tamagotchi's are created for younger children. Ages 7 / 8 +. The logo we have now, while appealing, doesn't exactly define the cuteness, the energy, or the enthusiasm that Tamagotchi's have come to portray. Logo's are the first impression of a site, and most people looking for Tamagotchi information are probably ranging around 9 - 15 years old. Since that is the around the age where Tamagotchi's are more popular. Sure, we have younger children and older adults looking up information on Tamagotchi's, but the age range mentioned earlier is what Tamagotchi's are more geared towards. Therefor, by using the new logo, it shows people that we are a fun, cute, upbeat site. Which is what we are! Children may be put off by the logo, assuming that it's for older people - and won't even come to glance at TamaTalk, I remember that's what I did when I was younger. I had come across TamaTalk when I was in fourth or third grade, and I had seen the logo and assumed that it was for older people. However, I eventually went into the forums (when I was looking for information on Tamagotchi's a few months later) and was surprised to find such an age range of people ranging from 10 to 30! Seeing as how my initial assumption was that the site was more teenage +. So, I guess my point is that the newer logo wouldn't be attracting the wrong audience at all! In fact, we'd be bringing in the ages that the Tamagotchi's were intended for! Plus, many people are attracted to sites that not only are informative, but have a more updated logo, look, feel / layout. (:
That's just my two cents into the pool of opinions! haha (:

You're tempting me to delete my vote for the old logo..........I think i'm gonna, yes i am.

Im starting to agree with haleyhashats-children look at the lovely bright logo and say "wow" and when they actually come on they look at the real normal logo and they think its for older kids

(TM Edit: don't forget - instead of double posting, you can edit your replies for 24hrs afterward and change or add more text)

Edited by TamaMum, 13 February 2012 - 12:20 PM.
Double post merged

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:25 PM ( #53 )

I really want to thank everyone for voicing their opinions, concerns and suggestions on this... As of right now we have 46 votes cast. Please make sure to make your voice heard! I really do want to hear from everyone.

I know some of our recent changes haven't been popular with everyone... It is almost impossible for a change to appeal to EVERYONE. I do love to hear from people though and it makes a huge difference in the direction this community goes (and looks like). I promise you that I do not try to make changes to make people not want to come here/stay here/ I think TamaMum's post summed up why this community is so special. We have a great community and I want it to work and look the best it can.

Please voice your opinions. :)
  • joshnemo likes this

Stefan Bauwens

• stefan-bauwens user photo
  • Group: Banned

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:53 PM ( #54 )

Otherwise you can make it an option for every user to choose which theme he wants.

tamatown123

• tamatown123 user photo

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:16 AM ( #55 )

Sorry, for double posting TamaMum.

In the earlier post, i mentioned that i changed my mind about the logo. There was one thing that I forgot to mention about, the tamagotchi. The ID L is brilliant, but i still think the V3 is better, due to the reason i mentioned in this post i quoted here:

It's a really hard desicion to make. If someone logs into the site and looks at the logo then they won't think it's a "V3". Other models look like that, it's just a plain Tamagotchi that brings back memories. If you put an ID L, people who join the site may forget those nice Connection versions. Everyone will keep getting ID L's and they'll forget about the American versions (well that could happen). Take me for example, I have a V4, Music Star, and a Tama Go. I log in to the site, and then i see a new tamagotchi on the Logo. I make a topic about it asking what tamagotchi it is. Then everyone will say "It's an ID L, they're really good, better than those silly connections". Then, I could get one and the word might keep spreading "Connections are bad, the ID L rocks!". I'm not saying other people don't have/want an ID L, but people might stop buying the Connection versions-thats all.

But, i think it would be nice if you add a bit of patterns or change the colour for the V3 like this tamagotchi

Posted Image
Hey that's the V3 i had, but i lost it :( (completely another sad story lol) Anyway, yes I would like it if you change the pattern/colour a bit.

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:55 AM ( #56 )

^
I know people have said this before, but the new logo says, "We're Tamatalk! We're updated, we're new, we're fresh, we're here to stay!" while the V3 says, "We're Tamatalk! We're not updated, we've been here for a while, and who knows when somone was last here..." (Sorry, I know that sounded offensive... :rolleyes: ) There are a lot of Tama sites that aren't active anymore, and the iD L says that Tamatalk is new and updated; It's alive, vibrant, and people are still here to stay.
  • chrispilot2293 and kuromametchifan123 like this

LittleChamametchi

• littlechamametchi user photo

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:03 PM ( #57 )

This is like the Facebook layout update issue. When everything changed, everybody hated it, criticized it and attempted to boycott it.
But nobody can boycott Facebook.
This is much the same for Tamatalk. Yes, people are used to the old logo + layout. But these are changing times and change in most instances are good. (Also, dude, it's just a logo)
Tamatalk needs to attract more members too! Not as many children are falling in love with tamagotchi anymore.
I like the new logo. It's cute, it's fresh and it's hip. Sure some will cry and moan about it for a few days but they're mature enough to accept things as it comes.
Oh and keep mimitchi :mimitchi:! She may be an old character but I will always remember her as the first character I saw when I opened my V1 on christmas morning. :)

Edited by LittleChamametchi, 14 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.

• kuromametchifan123 and emzz909 like this

kuchipatchi.is.blue55

• kuchipatchiisblue55 user photo

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:01 PM ( #58 )

ugh, peer pressure is getting to me. now i'm tempted to change my vote.

i kind of agree with that, we really don't want to attract the wrong audience. however, if kids are honest, parents might keep them from joining, because they need a registration form, right? i think we should mix the old and new logo, something that's simple, mature, and fun.

i think, yes, we should change the logo, but try something a bit simpler than the proposed new one. i love that one and i think it'll be great for the entrance page, but when i'm looking through the forums, i don't want a logo like that scrolling down with me and drawing my eye to it, so it takes more time for me to read through the topic. the new logo should be a bit more simple, but fresh and as Violetchilluvr3 said,

^
I know people have said this before, but the new logo says, "We're Tamatalk! We're updated, we're new, we're fresh, we're here to stay!" while the V3 says, "We're Tamatalk! We're not updated, we've been here for a while, and who knows when somone was last here..." (Sorry, I know that sounded offensive... :rolleyes: ) There are a lot of Tama sites that aren't active anymore, and the iD L says that Tamatalk is new and updated; It's alive, vibrant, and people are still here to stay.

Eternal Mametchi Fan

• eternal-mametchi-fan user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:06 AM ( #59 )

Nooooooooooooooo! Now I can't decide! I prefer the new logo but Tamagotchi is changing so much that it's good to remember original versions like v3...I still play with my v2! But I have an idea--you know how Google Images changed? All you have to do is click a button at the bottom to change it back to the classic style! So have the new logo as the default but allow users to change it to the original theme whenever they want! ;) Then both people who say they'll leave when the logo changes AND the people who say the current logo is boring will be pleased. :)

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:20 PM ( #60 )

Just to address the suggestion o having both the old and new logo goes... Yes it is possible. For the sake of this poll, however, I'd like to approach it as if it was a change with no alternative.

Multiple skins can be a good thing but they also get to be a pain when it is time to upgrade the software since that usually involves me going through the skin to check everything. That being said, I am not opposed to doing it... I'd just rather people vote as if it was not going to happen. :)
  • tamaluver579 and tamatown123 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamatalk, logo