Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

TamaTalk's logo: Which do you like better?

tamatalk logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Poll: TamaTalk's logo (88 member(s) have cast votes)

Which TamaTalk logo would you like better for the forums?

1. I like the original logo (27 votes [30.68%])

Percentage of vote: 30.68%

2. I like the new logo from the entry page (61 votes [69.32%])

Percentage of vote: 69.32%

Vote

animetama54

• animetama54 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:07 PM ( #61 )

I love the new one. Very colorful~ The old one is sorta..... mehh.
My opinion.

Edited by animetama54, 15 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.

Astromeno

• astromeno user photo

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:46 PM ( #62 )

The new logo has really grown on me. At first, I thought it looked too "generic kid site"-like, but now I see what you guys mean by this fitting the Tamagotchi brand. I do think, though, that the font of the logo should be a little wilder, like the Japanese "Tamagotchi!" logo. A new skin with darker blues would probably fit the logo better than this skin, too.

(and does anyone else think we should consider using another Tamagotchi as our mascot instead of Mimitchi?)

wilsy

• wilsy user photo

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:48 PM ( #63 )

Hello TamaTalk,
I'm somewhat nervous as this will be my first post since 2008 (I don't know if any of you remember me) and, as I'm sure you are able to judge by my prose, I have matured a little since then - and, personally, I think Tama Talk, too, should mature.

The logo at the header of the page is old - iconic and nostalgic, indeed, but old - and is in dire need of revitalization in my humble opinion - preferably, the same type of the revitalization that the landing page underwent not too long ago

We are all aware of the abilities of TamaTalk's own "graphic-designer in residence", graphicks, and we've seen his talents put to good use on the landing page in particular, so I don't doubt that he will truly dazzle us with his new design for the main page header, however, on reading his post I've discovered he had raised a very important issue: brand-consistency.

What are new users going to think when they see a modern, pretty logo on the landing page and then are greeted on the board's pages with (trying not to offend the Admin) a very old and outdated "TAMA TALK" logo? Nothing pleasant, that's for sure! As an analogy, imagine seeing the pretty Apple logo outside of an Apple Store at your local mall, and then going in and seeing the old rainbow logo on all of the computers. Wouldn't that be ridiculous? You bet!

My vote goes to the introduction of the new logo, however on another note, it would be nice if it came complete with a new Tamagotchi accompanying it! The version 3 was current when the boards opened, and although many still play with theirs, it is now slightly outdated. Perhaps an update (V6 or ID-L?) would be appreciated?

And, finally, regarding the bar which is ubiquitous at the top of the page, I think that the logo should simply be removed altogether (considering the new one wouldn't fit). It might, however, be an idea to include a few Tamagotchi characters, such as Mametchi, Mimitchi, Memetchi and Kutchipatchi lined up where the logo currently is, however I believe removing imagery there in its entirety would be the best option, as it makes the bar more subtle.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I hope my first post since 2008 contributed to remedying the issue significantly (and, yes, the word "remedying" is necessary - there is a problem in need of fixing).

Thanks, guys! :kuribotchi:

//Wilsy

Edited by wilsy, 17 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

• Admin and joshnemo like this

kuchipatchi.is.blue55

• kuchipatchiisblue55 user photo

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:54 PM ( #64 )

And, finally, regarding the bar which is ubiquitous at the top of the page, I think that the logo should simply be removed altogether (considering the new one wouldn't fit). It might, however, be an idea to include a few Tamagotchi characters, such as Mametchi, Mimitchi, Memetchi and Kutchipatchi lined up where the logo currently is, however I believe removing imagery there in its entirety would be the best option, as it makes the bar more subtle.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I hope my first post since 2008 contributed to remedying the issue significantly (and, yes, the word "remedying" is necessary - there is a problem in need of fixing).

Thanks, guys! :kuribotchi:

//Wilsy

the point of the bar on top is to save you having to scroll all the way up just to get to the home page, and have your PM box, notifs, profile, and other things lined up for easy access. if we got rid of the logo at the top (which provides a shortcut to the home page), then we'd be missing a crucial piece to the bar on top. also, i personally think having images or something too colourful or flashy will be distracting as you read various topics and forums.

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:48 PM ( #65 )

Well yes, but Wily raises a good point. If we use the new logo (Which I think we should), then it wouldn't fit, so we would need to replace it with something else.

kuromametchifan123

• kuromametchifan123 user photo

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:06 PM ( #66 )

Hi everyone -
To give everyone a better idea of what the logo could look like, I've created a mockups below to illustrate a few options.
Posted Image

Actually, I don't think the bar at the top would be a problem with the new logo. Graficks made picture of what it might look like in the little bar at the top, I like it. :)

Violetchilluvr3

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:51 PM ( #67 )

Didn't even see that! It does look good there. :) I like the iD L better than the V3; Isn't that what we're going for- that Tamatalk is still updated?

haleyhashats

• haleyhashats user photo

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:34 AM ( #68 )

Wilsy: I agree wholeheartedly. And no worries, I'm sure your post has proved your new maturity and helped to bring some final decisions upon the issue. (:

--------------------------

I didn't even notice those mock-up pictures! I think they look quite nice, to be honest.

This post is really short, I'm sorry. I'm sick right now and it's coming on one am. A sick person shouldn't be up right now, but I am. I wanted to fit in a post anyways.

I don't think the bar at the top would be a problem, I think that everyone thought it would be a problem because the title page logo was like

TAMA
TALK

on top of each other, and not like TAMATALK, side by side. However, graphicks has proved to us that he was able to get the logo to fit. (:

I still support the new logo. (:

Well, I'm off for bed, good night everyone! My original & more detailed post on this issue is on page three. (:

*Edit: I reread this and just realized how bad I am at writing when I'm tired & when I'm sick. This post makes very little sense. Ha ha. Sorry about that! Hence why I included the bit about my original post, since I sound more sane in that post. (:

Edited by haleyhashats, 18 February 2012 - 01:35 AM.

wilsy

• wilsy user photo

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:46 AM ( #69 )

the point of the bar on top is to save you having to scroll all the way up just to get to the home page, and have your PM box, notifs, profile, and other things lined up for easy access. if we got rid of the logo at the top (which provides a shortcut to the home page), then we'd be missing a crucial piece to the bar on top. also, i personally think having images or something too colourful or flashy will be distracting as you read various topics and forums.

Hi,
I agree that the removal of the logo would prevent easy access to the home page, but I've returned to this site only recently and so didn't realise its function. Thank you for pointing that out! ;)

However, both of our arguments are now irrelevant, as "graphicks" has provided us with a sample of the planned new website which includes the logo placed horizontally along the bar. In that case, I say that we should go ahead and update the logo in co-ordination with the landing page.

As for the logo being "too colourful and flashy" - I really don't see how the new design is colourful or flashy at all.

We all love holding on to the past, but if we actually did,Tama Talk wouldn't exist, because there'd be no computers and *gasp* no Tamas. We'd all still be living in the mesolithic ages.

It is undoubtedly time to move on. :mametchi:

//Wilsy

kuchipatchi.is.blue55

• kuchipatchiisblue55 user photo

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:48 AM ( #70 )

Hi,
I agree that the removal of the logo would prevent easy access to the home page, but I've returned to this site only recently and so didn't realise its function. Thank you for pointing that out! ;)
However, both of our arguments are now irrelevant, as "graphicks" has provided us with a sample of the planned new website which includes the logo placed horizontally along the bar. In that case, I say that we should go ahead and update the logo in co-ordination with the landing page.
As for the logo being "too colourful and flashy" - I really don't see how the new design is colourful or flashy at all.
We all love holding on to the past, but if we actually did,Tama Talk wouldn't exist, because there'd be no computers and *gasp* no Tamas. We'd all still be living in the mesolithic ages.
It is undoubtedly time to move on. :mametchi:
//Wilsy

:/ you raise some valid points. Hmm......actually, the logo doesn't look that bad. I like it. The iD L looks good, and if we change the logo I think we should have it.
Regarding graficks's mock up, I think the new logo next to the V3 looks good, because it's a bit more simple than having the iD L there and shows that we still like and support the older versions, although I think visitors might find it a bit odd that it doesn't match with the entrance page.

scottyj200

• scottyj200 user photo

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:13 AM ( #71 )

KEEPTHEOLDONE!KEEPITKEEPITKEEPIT!

kuromametchifan123

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:18 PM ( #72 )

I think the new logo with the iD-L is my favorite. It matches the entry page and TT's recent upgrade. It says that Tamagotchi is still alive and so is TamaTalk. :)

I have a question though, if the majority of us vote for the new logo, will there be another poll to decide of we like the new v3 logo better or the new iD-L logo better?

graficks

• graficks user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:57 PM ( #73 )

Initially I mocked-up the ID L and V3 logos to showcase how the new type graphic can be applied to both Tamagotchis. My intention, however, was to showcase that it works with ID L better than the V3..in my opinion anyway. I can't speak for Admin, but I believe this is an open discussion to talk about which logo is preferred: the old V3 logo with the old type graphic or the new ID L version with the new type graphic. Of course, all input is welcome as it helps shape what the end result will be :)

Will there be another poll to decide of we like the new v3 logo better or the new iD-L logo better?

Nothing is really set in stone, but I think it would be best to vote on which version you like best first…and we'll go from there!

Edited by graficks, 18 February 2012 - 03:42 PM.

kuromametchifan123

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:00 PM ( #74 )

Initially I mocked-up the ID L and V3 logos to showcase how the new type graphic can be applied to both Tamagotchis. My intention, however, was to showcase that it works with ID L better than the V3..in my opinion anyway. I can't speak for Admin, but I believe this is an open discussion to talk about which logo is preferred: the old V3 logo with the old type graphic or the new ID L version with the new type graphic. Of course, all input is welcome as it helps shape what the end result will be :)

Oh! I misread that, haha. ^-^;

Memetchi Fan

• memetchi-fan user photo

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:59 AM ( #75 )

Huh,I'm gonna cut to the short:
I love the new one,it's so cute and colourful!
I'm going new one. ;)

Nazotchi25

• nazotchi25 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:36 AM ( #76 )

i like the old one best, it gives Tamatalk something classic to stick with :)

wilsy

• wilsy user photo

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM ( #77 )

Personally, I think it would seem terribly odd to have an old V3 positioned beside a fresh and newly-designed logo, and this would also deem the landing-page inconsistent, requiring it to be altered as well.
As I've said before, at the time of Tama Talk's opening, (I think) the Version 3 was the latest and greatest that Ban-Dai had to offer, and it wasn't an older or outdated version like it is now, hence it was the Admin's obvious choice for placement in the logo of the website. Today, the ID-L is Ban-Dai's latest big release, and so placing it on the landing and home pages would seem suiting.
I still have a V3 and love it, and I've got another one on the way if I'm successful in my eBay auction, but we must admit - they're old!
It doesn't mean they're bad, but it does mean that they're aged! We need to catch up with the times, man! (That was my first and only attempt at talkin' street, yo) :rolleyes:

//Wilsy

TamaMum

• tamamum user photo
  • Group: Senior TamaTalk Guides

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:52 AM ( #78 )

Off topic for just a moment... but just for interest, TamaTalk was opened by Admin in June 2004 - when the first waves of the new IR connections were launched - the V1s

Back on topic, I am still sentimentally attached to the existing logo, but if there are concerns about showing how tamagotchis are still current (without ditching their history) perhaps we might consider using more than one tamagotchi in the logo? For example, the P1 or V1 overlaid with the ID (or current latest version)? The old tama would still be visible and recognisable but (in the same way we spread playing cards out in our hands) the latest version is topmost.

I realise that doesn't really solve the question of which logo is preferred :P (and no disrespect to graphicks creativity intended either)

wilsy

• wilsy user photo

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:05 AM ( #79 )

Off topic for just a moment... but just for interest, TamaTalk was opened by Admin in June 2004 - when the first waves of the new IR connections were launched - the V1s

Back on topic, I am still sentimentally attached to the existing logo, but if there are concerns about showing how tamagotchis are still current (without ditching their history) perhaps we might consider using more than one tamagotchi in the logo? For example, the P1 or V1 overlaid with the ID (or current latest version)? The old tama would still be visible and recognisable but (in the same way we spread playing cards out in our hands) the latest version is topmost.

I realise that doesn't really solve the question of which logo is preferred :P (and no disrespect to graphicks creativity intended either)

Hi,
Thanks for correcting me. I am not fully aware of the history of the forum (or, at least, I have forgotten most of it and therefore must once again acquaint myself with it) and therefore was not sure about the currency of the V3 at its time of opening.
Back on topic, I see what you mean, TamaMum, but I think it would possibly make the header a little too 'clumsy' in that it will be the fill of the top of the page! Now, I know this idea, too, is a long shot, but why don't we have the ID-L as the default logo, but if a user registers with the forums, they will be given the option to change the model of Tamagotchi they'd like to see in the logo? There could be a few available, for example the ID-L, the Version 1, 3, 4, 5 and perhaps even the Music Star, and a P1 or something of that nature. As well as this, not everyone is a Mimitchi fan - would it hurt to make the characters customizable too (though again, having Mimitchi as the default option)?
I am fully aware that this will force graphicks to do a whole lot more work and therefore it is entirely up to him whether he wishes to pursue the idea, and, in fact, while I am computer literate in the sense of software design and operation, web and graphic design is not my forte (I don't even have a Mac!) and therefore I am not entirely sure as to whether or not it is even feasible, but I'm just "throwing my idea" into the cauldron. If anyone whom has more knowledge of PHP (or other scripts along those lines) would be able to fill me in on this, I'd be eternally grateful.

//Wilsy

Edited by wilsy, 19 February 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Admin

• admin user photo
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:19 PM ( #80 )

So far the votes are almost 2 to 1 in favor of moving to the new logo... Please make sure to share your opinions as soon as possible because I'd love to have us make a decision soon.

Just a thought regarding the tama included in the logo... What if we used a generic tama instead of an acgtual photo of one? By generic I mean more of a graphic featuring an egg shaped outline with a square screen and three buttons below the screen. It could make it more timeless (unless the whole design changes) and applies to both original and newest designs at the same time. Thoughts?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tamatalk, logo