Doomsday....for tamagotchis?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Alright, im sure there are alot of posts about this, but i want to ask seriously and without that fanboy attitude (don't be offended i would consider myself one too). Do you think that Tamagotchis have run their course? I absolutely love Tamas and still play with them, but it just seems like Bandai doesn't care about the US anymore. We see the Japan with colored Tamas and i myself feel SUPER jealous, as i wish for the day that i see that come to the US...not that Tama-Go BS. There are still some brands that are still going of course, barbies, hot wheels, LEGO, etc. However, i have literally been searching for days to find some more Tamas just for the heck of it...and 7 stores later..NOTHING. This really depresses me, and i would love to see Tamagotchi's skyrocket in popularity again. Does anyone else feel sad that it seems like Tamas are coming to an end? Tell me what you think.

-Sam

True, it is like a fad. And i wonder, has there ever been a toy brand that died out for a few years and reappeared and continued being succesful? I cant think of any. I know Tamas are still going strong in Japan, which i am jealous of and want to get Rosetta Stone so i can play the ID L :) , But why cant Bandai America stop with the making of Ben-10 and Thundercat toys? I mean, im speaking for myself, but i see no interest in there products besides tamas! I feel if IDLS came to the US and the UK, Tamas would be insanely popular again.

True, it is like a fad. And i wonder, has there ever been a toy brand that died out for a few years and reappeared and continued being succesful? I cant think of any. I know Tamas are still going strong in Japan, which i am jealous of and want to get Rosetta Stone so i can play the ID L :) , But why cant Bandai America stop with the making of Ben-10 and Thundercat toys? I mean, im speaking for myself, but i see no interest in there products besides tamas! I feel if IDLS came to the US and the UK, Tamas would be insanely popular again.
You don't need to buy Rosetta Stone to play with the ID L. On YouTube, there are a bunch of video walkthroughs that tell you what each and every menu is, and pretty soon, you'll get the hang of it. I used to know Japanese, but I have forgotten 99% of it.... I can still play with my iDL like it was an English toy though.

The more technology advances, the less the chances of English-based Tamagotchis returning.

Take a look at iPods/iPads/iPhones for instance. You can pay $2 or $3 for an application which will allow you to do even more things than a $30 Tamagotchi. Children these days prefer playing games such as "Angry Birds" and "Temple Run" as opposed to playing with a Tamagotchi.

In fact if I can recall correctly, there is a Tamagotchi-inspired app for only 99c which does the exact same thing as a Tamagotchi. :marumimitchi:

Yes, I aswell feel as if Bandai is doing nothing. we haven't even heard a hint that a new tama is coming for the past few years. I can't find tamas in any stores, so I go on ebay. I guess we will just have to start foraging around on ebay and get the japanese ones. :(

The more technology advances, the less the chances of English-based Tamagotchis returning.

Take a look at iPods/iPads/iPhones for instance. You can pay $2 or $3 for an application which will allow you to do even more things than a $30 Tamagotchi. Children these days prefer playing games such as "Angry Birds" and "Temple Run" as opposed to playing with a Tamagotchi.

In fact if I can recall correctly, there is a Tamagotchi-inspired app for only 99c which does the exact same thing as a Tamagotchi. :marumimitchi:
I use the australian itunes and I too saw that app, but if we are both talking about the same 99c app then you should read the feedback. everyone who bought that app absolutely hates it. they say the title is misleading and the only thing it does is show a picture of a tamagotchi and you can play a slots game. you can't do ANYTHING else. so basically, it's a slot game with a tamagotchi picture on the front.

EDIT: plus, it's way more fun to play with the old three buttoned egg than an ipod or ipad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the australian itunes and I too saw that app, but if we are both talking about the same 99c app then you should read the feedback. everyone who bought that app absolutely hates it. they say the title is misleading and the only thing it does is show a picture of a tamagotchi and you can play a slots game. you can't do ANYTHING else. so basically, it's a slot game with a tamagotchi picture on the front.

EDIT: plus, it's way more fun to play with the old three buttoned egg than an ipod or ipad.
Oh really? That's a shame.

Of course it's more fun, but in the society that we live in, it's considered a waste to pay so much for a game that you can buy for $2 on an iPod Touch. :mametchi:

I'm pretty sure the iD and iD L etc. forevere and ever and all the other Tamagotchi products from Japan will not be in America because, seriously, they blew off the 15th anniversary of Tamagotchi and never released any other new ones. They could have just simply listened to their replies about Tamagotchi and just listen to the fans that they want a new tamagotchi. Tons of other people are wanting a new one and Bandai just really cares about their money, and other Bandai toys. Now other people buy them off a online store and not direct from Bandai. x_x;

Seriously. I don't get it. They say that tamas aren't that popular, but yet they never last long on shelves. As soon as they show up they dissapear. I get the whole app thing and phones having more features, but the tama simulators are NOTHING like the real thing. It's like the GBA games, you have to have them on for them to grow and age.And I don't mind that we don't have them in color because it would really bug me to have to keep pushing a button for the screen to turn on. But I wish with the newer Tama-go they wouldn't have taken the items feature out. I mean you have to buy extra peices to get more games and items, but then the items don't last like on the older versions. You have to leave the figure on. It's kind of boring really. But then again it targeted for a much younger age audience LOL. I have two, but I'm much more entertained with the older versions. I guess without the figures, the Tama-go is almost a giant p1 LOL but it can marry and be paused haha. I do wonder though if Japan tama fans get annoyed that they didn't get the Tama-go? Just like we get annoyed or Jealous when they get versions that we dont, ahaha. Either way, there's always ebay for those that want those other versions...Different language or not it's still the same format. I've played japanese tamas before, no problems...same game :)

Oh really? That's a shame.

Of course it's more fun, but in the society that we live in, it's considered a waste to pay so much for a game that you can buy for $2 on an iPod Touch. :mametchi:
The one problem I have with this statement is that no one, and I mean no one has made a app with all the features of even a basic new tamagotchi. :/ Maybe, just maybe bandai COULD make Tamagotchi apps and tamagotchi could be reborn as apps for idevices? That'd be nice..

Yes i could use walkthroughs, but then lets look at the price for ordering from Japan. Yes i could save up for it and watch the walkthroughs to get the hang of it, but instead of doing all this, how hard is it to translate those few words and ship em to the US. Yes i agree with whoever said as technology advances people will not want Tamas as much. But, look at Japan and how advanced they are as well, maybe more, and they still make iD L's. Basically, if i don't see a new GOOD tama for the US by 2013 i will be ordering my iD L.

I was actually just going to email Bandai about this same problem.

I was in Target the other day when I decided to check the aisle that they sell TamaGo's and figures in. But, guess what? Nothing. I was at a different Target (this one was a Super Target), in a different state far from my home, and they didn't even have it.

I'm not under the impression that the iD's and iD L's, +Colors, etc. are going to come to America any time soon because I think the popularity has deffinetley decreased in the past few years. When I was looking for the Figures at WalMart one time, I asked a worker there where they went because they weren't on their shelf (they were replaced by ZuZu pets... :p ) and she took me to the very corner of the store and showed me a box of a couple figures and some other things. The box was labeled "Clearance". I asked why they weren't on their shelf and she said that they were discontinuing to carry them. I don't think the TamaGos were selling as well as any of the other connections, and therefore were being removed from stores.

I think that Bandai doesn't do a well enough job of advertising here in America. I mean, when has anyone ever seen a TamaGo commercial in America? I certainly haven't. I don't think that people were interested because they didn't really understand what they were. Also, in Japan, it seems that you can be any age and have a Tamagotchi and it's no shame, while as here in America if you are basically 10+ you re ridiculed for playing with a "baby's toy", which is totally unfair (as we all know).

Maybe if we could start a petition, get a group of us to send Bandai letters concerning their Tamagotchi distribution and advertisement in America and other countries that we live in, they would see that there really is a market for Tamagotchis other than Japan. Just an idea, but it could make a difference.

Hopefully it's just a re-do of what happened with the Morinos.

So now we all just have to wait 6 years for the re-release of better Tamas.

There are multiple reasons that tamagotchis are on clearance shelves these days instead of a mainstream item, and I feel like most of these reasons are due to lack of quality. The Tama-Go is awful... I have one going right now, and it literally feels broken even compared to previous generations of tamas. All food items are treated the same, even though one costs nothing and another costs 1000. It has a fuzzy, often hard-to-read little grayscale screen, and when it cries out in a way that makes me think I ought to punish it, if I hit the a button the alert goes away and nothing happens. I'm kind of baffled with it, really. My husband calls it the "Tamagotchi Desktop Version" and "Tama-Stay" (haha, get it?) because it's so incredibly massive, and then on top of that you have this giant toy sitting on top of it if you want any extra games. The Tama-Go is nothing compared to the id and the id-l, and I think if those were given a proper release in the States, they would do much better than the pathetic Tama-Go. As a collector, I'll occasionally have a tamagotchi going, and inevitably everyone around me will be interested. "Oh, I used to love those! I got in trouble in class for having one!" A lot of people my age (I'm 27) remember and still have a soft spot for tamagotchi, so I think if Bandai bothered to give the good versions a chance over here, they would go over well with both kids and us nostalgic twenty-somethings.

It's having to pay the import prices (right now without shipping the least expensive I can find is 84 bucks) that is a real barrier to me getting one of these. Also, I don't think it would take a lot of work to get an English version of this and have it stocked in slightly higher-end toy shops in the US.

im kinda feeling that tamagotchi won't go on :/ i mean there hasn't been a new tama for 2 years now and im still waiting for a new one i just started collecting tamgotchi again last summer and no new tama's havent came yet and its upsetting me and pretty much everyone who loves it i hope the make a new tama it doesn't have to be color just a new one just to let us no that tama's are still running i live in north america and no sigh of any newer tama's here

but there is one good news

at least a month ago or 2 and im gonna check again they were selling music star's in lotless for $8-9 dollars i bought one and i was kinda glad that at least one store is selling a tama product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back