Braces and Retainersss. :P

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x.Tori.x

Reaction score
So I had braces for two years. I got my top braces off in December, and got my top retainer 2 days later. Yesterday, I got my bottom braces off and am getting my retainer tomorrow morning. :) I searched for any braces topics, but the latest one was from 2010 so I posted this one.

Feel free to post your stories for your braces journey! I would love to hear about them. Tell me about your retainer, etc. etc. Maybe offer some encouraging words or answer questions of people going through braces right now? : )

x.Tori.x ♥

Got them basically at the end of June in 2010, I still wear them to this day. But treatment's almost over for me, I got the metal caps removed from my molars last time I visited the orthodontist. They'll hopefully be removed by April.

I used to have a retainer, but I stopped using it because my teeth were corrected. What I actually did was held my teeth in a position that made it LOOK like my teeth were fixed. So I don't have to wear it anymore.

Urgh, how I hated the little things. I had to brush them along with my teeth. And they impaired my speech.

But now they're in a dumpster far away from here. So HAHA ON RETAINERS. > :D

Seriously, my teeth must be pretty horrid to put rubber bands behind the brackets.

I didn't get it either.

Braces twice, and a retainer.

BUT I'M DONE NOW AHAHAHAH SUCKERS~ 8D

And guys... you should wear your retainers. They help you SOOO much. When you don't wear them, your teeth slowly move back into their old position, and you may not notice it at first but your teeth go right back to being crooked. I have to wear my clear retainer to sleep even though my treatment's over, and it really helps to make sure my teeth stay perfect. I had a friend who never wore her retainer, and sure enough after ALLLL the treatment, they went right back to being crooked. So she pretty much wasted thousands of dollars on braces and treatment, all wasted.

I had braces, and now I have a retainer. I usually wear it all the time because it gets all tight if I don't wear it for a few hours, but that may be just me. As for advice, I would say take good care of the stuff when you have it and in time it will be all over and you will hopefully never have to do it again!

Wow guys! Thanks for the replies! :) Keep them coming! I would agree, it is extremely important that you wear your retainers. I sometimes don't feel good at night, so I skip a night in wearing my top one (since it was the only one I had)..and it would be so tight when I put it back on. I cannot miss a night. I had to get a temporary bottom retainer today instead, because my impressions didn't turn out quite right. :/ So now a temporary clear one for 2 weeks until they can get my Hawley done.

NintenNerd: That sounds odd. I've never heard of them doing that. I wonder why..

Runner: By metal caps on your molars, are you referring to the bands that put on them to keep the braces in place? If that's what you're talking about, just curious, but how are they keeping the wire from creating a hole in your cheek? Doesn't it hurt to have it just kind of sitting there? xD Unless they cut it off at the closest bracket to the band. In which case, that's kind of neat, because those are the hardest things to remove. :p

Runner: By metal caps on your molars, are you referring to the bands that put on them to keep the braces in place? If that's what you're talking about, just curious, but how are they keeping the wire from creating a hole in your cheek? Doesn't it hurt to have it just kind of sitting there? xD Unless they cut it off at the closest bracket to the band. In which case, that's kind of neat, because those are the hardest things to remove. :p
Yeah, they are the bands that keep the braces in place. It doesn't jab my cheek, they cut off the wire at the last bracket on the tooth next to my molars. So while it does bother my tongue if I put it down there, it doesn't really affect me too much.

Thanks guys, for all the responses.. :) I got my bottom Hawley retainer since I last posted. I hate my retainers, but I think I should wear them more often, because I can't seem to do well in wearing them at night. Maybe I should just start wearing them all the time again? I skip on average, anywhere from 1-3 nights in a row of not wearing them.. :eek:

My dentist said I would (luckily) hopefully never have to wear braces or retainers. It's not like I care about my looks, I just don't like random stuff in my mouth. My brother might need braces when he's older though (he's 8).

I got an expander in around April of last year, top braces in June last year. Bottom braces in August last year, got my expander off in February (OHMYGODIHATEDTHATTHING) and now I just have braces. They should be coming off though at the end of my ninth grade year. :3

I got my braces earlier this year while I was still 17. They didn't hurt to put on, but after the procedure was done, I couldn't eat solid food for about a week and a half! I also had a terrible lisp from the bite ramps they put in my mouth behind my top two front teeth. I have to wear 4 rubber bands to correct my bite. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't going to be in the Miss Wisconsin pageant in September! lol

I've done the whole spacers thing. 1 tooth removed!b! ;( And then I got my braces. With a band to cover the whole. It hurt! I got them in August 2011. Almost a year! So yeah today was my app. Braces tightened!! Owwww! My first day of rubber bands!!! I wear them in a triangle;( Well for people that have braces; Good luck!

I got my braces earlier this year while I was still 17. They didn't hurt to put on, but after the procedure was done, I couldn't eat solid food for about a week and a half! I also had a terrible lisp from the bite ramps they put in my mouth behind my top two front teeth. I have to wear 4 rubber bands to correct my bite. This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't going to be in the Miss Wisconsin pageant in September! lol
Same bite plate thingy ;)

Wellll.

Palate (spelling...?) expander when I was 8. Retainer when I was 9. Braces when I was 10 (dec. 2008). Braces off August 2010. Retainers since then, but I only wear them at night. I have to wear them until I'm 18, or until my mouth stops growing. Dx

I had top and bottom braces for two and a half years. I got my top and bottoms off at different times, but I've been stuck in my retainers for about two years now. I had 11 teeth pulled during my braces journey, but that and the pain was well worth it.

I got my braces on my six top teeth, because when I smiled or bit, my bottom teeth were my front teeth. Sounds kinda hard to explain, so thispicture might show it a lot better. It's called an 'Underbite', and I was nine when I got my braces. The fact they were glow in the dark was the best thing, but for the first 3 days, I would cry randomly because they would be very painful whilst pushing my teeth back where they were supposed to be. I had them for a year, and somehow, being the first child ever in my primary (elementary) school to ever have braces, especially at my age. They actually made me quite popular, and everybody made me tell them the story for the rest of that school! I got them off after a year, which was quite upsetting at first, but then I remembered that I had vomit stuck in them once, and that was definatley not the most pleasent experience in my life. To boost my teeth up, to give my Molars space to grow, they also inserted 'Bite Blocks' which can be seen here, which were slightly bigger, and were welded to my teeths. When they were removed, there was a LOT of residue and made cracks in my Molars. Almost 5 years after my Braces and Bite Blocks were removed, I still do have the residue, but I love my perfect smile! I had to wear my retainer for two years too, and my popularity for braces turned to disgust when I took it out for dinner!

The residue does annoy me though, who knows, maybe when (if ever) I'm rich & famous, I can sue them! Haha!

~Grace

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back