Being Non-American

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamagotchi V6

Reaction score
LOL

I've noticed not being American on this forum doesn't help.

Anything alot of you guys say (no offense) I have to look up on Google,

i.e. Displex,Jiffy Bags,etc.

It's a bit annoying. :p

DAE feel like this?

Tamagotchi V6

LOL

No :)

Some of the words might be known only to Americans, but some of the words might just be things you haven't heard of yet and will get to know about as you get older.

Honestly - Jiffy Bag is a word that is in common use in loads of countries all over the world - including the UK :p

Maybe you should see it as an opportunity to learn about how to understand and get along with people from other countries and cultures. It could even make you seem smarter and more knowledgeable than your friends? ;)

Seriously... how difficult is it to keep a Google tab open and type in a word to search for.. :p

Nah. Although I rarely see the term "Jiffy Bag" being used here in New Zealand, I just open a quick tab and search for anything that I don't know of.

Although it is a pain when I have to explain something common here in New Zealand that isn't too popular overseas.

:]

I don't feel that way.

I've got so used to the majority of members on here being American that I've started to use American slang myself. It tends to be if I'm thinking about it and want to make myself understood more easily. I sometimes use English words, but I still understand a lot of the words Americans use. I guess it's just because I've been around it so much, on this site and by watching TV and stuff...

(The one thing I refuse to do is call football 'soccer', though x3)

Last edited by a moderator:
^Eeyup. I get frustrated because my friend (non-american) keeps insisting Football is called Soccer. Aghh, I think Football sounds better ; - ;

I used to be like that, but now you might mistake me for American actually. I even sometimes, accidentally, use a slight American accent and even words like "cell phone" (really embarassing when I'm at school, lol), because I'm just so used to this site and the way people talk here. It's very unclear what nationality I am...I have a hint of New Zealand accent, and some weird American accent that I use by accident when talking about dolphins (don't ask why!), and use American slang often enough and speak Indian full-time for specific words.

The only time I'm even aware I'm in a different country to everyone else here is when everyone gets their Princess Spacy before me when I actually ordered it at the same time or before, all in the name of British customs and import tax.

~ Dazzmina ~

@SugaryGoesRAWR IT'S SOCCERRR~

And I know what you mean haha. I don't get half the things that people talk about sometimes. 'Jiffy bag'... what in the world even IS that. It sounds absolutely ridiculous xD

I'd rather just not know what it is rather than having to look it up on google, because some people are just snobby (politest word I could think of that compensated for the one I wanted to use) about it and are like 'Oh, you're so stupid, go look it up on google you ignorant fool' And I'm not exaggerating, because that happened to me on another site because I didn't know what a Twizzler was.

Being in New Zealand, we have a whole other vocabulary of slang words different from American slang and British slang, sometimes it's hard to understand each other. But you do get used to it.

well, i'm australian and according to Siri on my iphone4s....she couldn't understand me because she only speaks US English ahaha i did ask tho, where can i learn to speak US English lol

but, there'll always be certain words/phrases whatever that another country uses that you might not understand, it's fun trying to figure out what they might be without using google straight away hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back