- - - - -

Dream job...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Aubrey Hepburn

• aubrey-hepburn user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Guides

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:27 PM ( #18 )

That's just it. Is it your parents life you have to live? Your brother's? No...it's yours. Even if they plan otherwise for you, if you know what makes you happy in your heart, and want to do that for the rest of your life...do it. This life is the only one you have. Don't live it only for someone else's expectations.

• violetchilluvr3 user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Angelgotchi

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:49 AM ( #19 )

Well, my dream job would be a writer. <3

My practical dream (at the moment, it's subject to change, of course) is to be a psychologist. I like the idea of helping people feel better, and I love learning about the brain... and let's face it, it's not a bad pay.

• kuchipatchiisblue55 user photo
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:47 AM ( #20 )

Hm....when I was little, I wanted to become a vet. I really wanted to work with and care for animals. I still do, but I'm not really interested in working in any sort of medical field. :P Although being a dermatologist would be fun, I've been told that all you do is listen to people complain about their skin and then you give them some medication. xD Don't judge me.
To be honest, I don't have a specific job in mind...there are some things I'd like to pursue as hobbies, maybe eventually work in those fields. I've thought about getting into photography more and going to an art university, or developing my writing and getting a degree in that. I even thought about getting a degree in those, and then going to work in a dog daycare or something, or going off to (try to) get a record label. (Hey, I can dream.)
I guess I've narrowed it down to these:
-anything with dogs
I think I'd really like to work with dogs in general, which makes people assume automatically, "Oh, so you want to be a vet." But being a vet and working with animals isn't the only thing out there, as some of you have demonstrated. I admit I'm a bit squeamish (and I tend to panic during emergencies) so I wouldn't be that great of a vet, although some people say I have the capacity to become one.
Anyway, my point is, my dream job isn't anything specifically. I have several "dream jobs". Really, I like to keep my mind open and say I'd like to work in a certain field, rather than in a certain position. But my ultimate dream, no matter what I do, how much I earn, is (someone last year taught me this) to be happy. Even if I'm working in the most horrible job ever, or I'm a writer-photographer-whatever with dogs, I want to be happy with my life, my family, and all the people around me.

• dazzilitchigirl user photo
  • Group: TamaTalk Lifetime Angelgotchi

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:19 AM ( #21 )

I've wanted to be a writer for seven years and that's not showing any sign of changing. I also wanted to be a vet before, but my dream job hardly ever changed. I remember nobody took me seriously when I was 4 and said I wanted to be a writer, but I always was pretty proficient with words. Knowing and using the word proficient at age 10 is a sign of good vocabulary. :)

I guess others have made super long posts, so I might as well too. Here is the entire story of my wanting to be a writer (and the proof it's not just a little kid being silly!):

When I was really little, like 2 or 3, I loved talking and using the few words I knew. I always said what I was doing whenever I did something, I'm sure that was really cute. I even remember a little bit - I loved learning new words and using them. It was like my hobby at the time.
When I started learning to write (which was before I started school), I loved it. My first story was called "The Car Wash Capter 8" (supposed to be chapter 8 but I was 3 then) and it was very short and about washing a car (LOL), but it seemed like a very long story to me. Looking back, I'm amazed at the handwriting and spelling I used.
I also started using the computer at a very young age - 5 or 6. I played with Microsoft Excel and made pictures by colouring squares, like the pixel art I sometimes do nowadays. I learned to type very quickly, even though I was slow at first, so by the time I was 7 I could type about 10 words per minute. I typed a two-page story about guinea pigs and dolphins at school, but I remember it took ages because by then I was well-known in my class for good spelling, and everyone kept asking me how to spell words I saw as easy but were actually difficult for their age. I loved writing, and I remember once the teacher was writing on the whiteboard what we had to do for our English lesson; it said "write a story" and I got all excited, but then she wrote "about a monster in the park" and my heart sank. I made up a giant dolphin monster that had an oversized beak and had got stranded at the park. Unlike the other kids' stories, mine was about people rescuing a giant dolphin from a park.
This kind of thing went on through my early years at school, but when I moved to my third school in 3rd grade I noticed that school (which I'm still at now) had much less creative work and more easy things. When I started my 5th grade SATs (which I just finished yesterday) I was completely taken aback by how BORING the subjects we needed to write about were. A page-long review about a pair of trainers or a singer or how excited you are before a hot air balloon ride - impossible! There was one practice paper where we had to write a spooky story about a girl entering a shed. I completely missed out on most of the marks for "composition and effect" because I made up a sign saying "Silly Moocow Club" and chairs the right size for exactly 100 ants. Hardly spooky...
Another memorable incident happened quite recently - we had to write a story for English. A story about, for once, ANYTHING WE WANTED. I completely grabbed the opportunity and before I knew it had written 11 pages and still was not done. It was a story about living fruits attacking each other. My teacher didn't like it OF COURSE, but my friends think my writing is hilarious. :D

So, that's my long and far from finished description of why a writer would be the perfect future job for me!