Which Tamagotchi should I get?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blasto

Reaction score
Hi! I'm not a collector of tamagotchi pets, but I did grow up with them back in 97 (back in the ye olde days lol).

My first tamagotchi was a what I think is called a P2 or Generation 2. Pretty much the same as the original 96 Tamagotchi but with a few different characters. I also tried out a Tamagotchi connection Version 3 back whey were first released and I loved it, it had a lot of neat pets and a mute/pause which is always good.

Now, I've been thinking of trying a Tamagotchi again because I really did enjoy them. My first thought was to get an old 97 one from e bay for the nostalgia, but I don't think they have a mute or pause. So should I go instead for the connection version three? It has a lot of neat pets, but I can remember if it relies on Tamatown a lot, I don't want my Tamagotchi to be hindered if Tamatown ever shuts down or upgrades.

I'm having trouble choosing between the two, what ones do you guys like better?

My favourite is the V4. But bearing in mind I've only ever played with a V1, V2, V4 and V6, that's based upon personal opinion. If you don't want the game to be based around TamaTown, just includes the basic system, games, feeding, etc, I recommend a V2, for anything beyond that relies on access to TamaTown. However, I use the word relies, yet I should be saying... has access to. I don't think there is a NEED for using TamaTown, it's just a little extra nugget that Bandai have included to allow for extra games, and a more interactive toy.

As for TamaTown being shut down, I'm not so sure. I don't think they will shut it down, as it has been up for so long and they are aware that many people still use it, even with new versions of the toy being released.

However, if it's nostalgia you're after, you're best off going for the good old 90s toy. You can pause it, however I'm unsure if you can mute it.

Happy playing! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamagotchi iD L

It has a color screen, and so many travel destinations built in that it's like having TamaTown built into the Tamagotchi itself. It's Japanese, but after a little while you won't even notice that. Because it's an import it's a bit expensive, but it's worth it.

Well, the P2 you actually can mute. Just press a and c like on anyother tamagotchi, you will hear a small beep, and then it will mute. You turn it on by pressing a and c again.

Overall, I would recommend either v2 or v3. The main difference is the characters and tamatown. The v3 can connect to an online site, called tamatown, where your pet can collect codes and enter them in tamagotchi to get items. The v3 is also very low maintenance, so if you have a job or school, that would be a good choice. The v2 is a little more simple, more reminiscent of original tamagotchis, but with the feature of a store-thing.

Back to the P2 though. They are my personal favorite of mine at the moment, I own 2. There is a way to pause them, but is not an actual pause feature, if you know what I mean. You go to the clock screen, press a and c as if you were going to change the clock, then leave it there on that screen. When you are ready to unpause, just set the time to current, and go back.I like the P2, because even though it does not have as many characters, all of them are very cute, and the animations are adorable. IMO, the vintages are the most petlike, but if you get bored easily, you might want to try a connection.

Like yourself, my first Tamagotchi was a P2. Simple in gameplay, but if you're open to experiencing some nostalgia I think this would be the way to go. I also really enjoy the V5, it gives you an opportunity to raise 3 different Tamagotchis (at the same time), but also to experience new elements like purchasing items for your Tamagotchis to interact with. I haven't seen many V5s kicking around on eBay, but I haven't looked recently either. I find the V5 combines the simplicity of the vintage Tamas with the advanced gameplay of the Connection series, IMO.

Binary mentioned the ID L model, which is Japanese, but extremely fun to play. The colour screen is a nice feature and having the opportunity to raise your Tamagotchi in colour makes the experience even better. The ID L models are chalked full of features and if you do a little searching around the forums, you'll see guides, character charts, item downloads and logs featuring all the great features from the ID L. Also as binary mentioned, the ID L is a Japanese import so it does run a little expensive, but I find the longevity in gameplay is worth it as there are so many characters and achievements to unlock and discover.

Good luck!

If you're into simple Tamas, the V3 is a great choice. It has a whole bunch of characters, and they seem hard to enough to get that it will be a bit of a challenge; However, there are so many that you'll most likely get a new one each time without trying! There are also six games, where as the original (Or p2) only has one.

The V3 has the Gotchi Point system, which can either be used or ignored. You can use Gotchi Points to buy items and food in the shop. It's also a very thin Tama that you can slip into your pocket and take wherever.

Bandai made a ton of designs, so you can especially choose whichever design is your favorite.

Thanks for all the input guys! I decided on a version 3, plenty features without going overboard, and a TON of pets. I ordered one the same colour as the one I had in 2004, I wish I had kept the thing. Silly me XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back