Music Star Version Differences?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TamaBrush

Reaction score
Hi! So I'm thinking about getting a Tamagotchi Music Star, and on Amazon I see lots of different models / designs,

such as:

• Rock City
  • Scarlet Melody
  • Rising Star
  • Techno Groove
  • Idol Dream
  • Glam Rock
  • Red Rockstar
  • Pink Lullaby
  • Pink Symphony
  • etc

Is there any difference between the functionality of the models? For example, will the tunes in the Rock City be more rock-oriented than the tunes in Techno Groove? If so, genre would highly impact my purchasing decision, but I suspect that the only difference is the casing. Can anyone confirm this before I purchase?

(P.S. I searched the F.A.Q. and forums, found nothing on this topic...)

There are 2 "waves" of Music Stars. There isn't a difference in characters or game play between the different designs and waves, but there are some subtle differences that you might like to take into consideration, depending on what your preferences are. For example, one of the biggest differences between the two waves is that parents of the wave 1 Music Stars leave their children half the Gotchi Points you've earned while the parents of wave 2 Music Stars take all of the Gotchi Points with them. The latter is particularly frustrating because you would have to start from scratch (at least monetarily) and at a certain point, only feeding your character food that's built in won't suffice (the hunger meter won't fill); you would then have to spend money on food from shops. Then there are the little things: a special item, the Wild Guitar, costs more on the wave 1 than the wave 2. I haven't really played with my Music Star enough to check out that item, but that could be something to take into account. Also, the format on the date and time screen is a little different on each: first waves will have the date formatted as month/day and second waves have it as day/month.

If I remember correctly, there is a way to tell the difference between first and second waves. I'm not quite sure if it's 100% accurate (case in point) but I think it works in general. The first wave Music Stars have a Tamagotchi egg with Mametchi in the screen of the egg in place of the "O" in "Tamagotchi" across the shell. I can't remember what the second waves have instead of that (like if it's just a regular "O" or if there's a picture of Mimitchi instead, etc.) but I've got a wave 1 for sure (Idol Dream), and that is what I observe.

I hope this makes sense!

I just thought that I would point out that there are actually a few more Music Star shells than the twelve (two Waves) released in the US.

In Australasia, there were actually three waves released. Wave 1 was the same as the US Wave 1, and Wave 3 was the same as the US Wave 2, but the Australasian Wave 2 brought 6 new shell designs to the Tamagotchi Music Star Range. I own one (Yellow Guitar), but I have not run it yet (as it's still sealed in it's package), so I cannot say which Wave of Music Star it is more alike, but due to the writing on it's shell (simply 'Tamagotchi', not 'Tamagotchi Music Star'), I would say it's more like the Wave 1 Music Stars. You can view these shells here: [x] (select "COLOR 2" from the "All Series" drop down box).

Also, there are six shell designs in the second wave, not four. You can view all of these by selecting "COLOR 3" from the link above.

In Europe, they had a rather different set, which could be considered Wave 1.5 - some of the designs were the same, some were similar with different colours, and others were completely new altogether. The shells in this wave are:

Black Headphones (Techno Groove - Exact Copy)

Orange Idol (Idol Dream - Recolour)

Pink Keyboard (Scarlet Melody - Recolour)

Blue Festival (Rock City - Exact Copy)

Red Rock (Glam Rock - Replacement)

Pink Festival (Rising Star - Exact Copy)

Along with those 6 shells, a UK store, Argos, also received an exclusive "Pink Glitter" shell. To my knowledge, these all follow the Wave 1 US pattern.

I do believe that the UK also received a second wave of Music Stars, the same as the Australasian Wave 2. I know I have seen members from the UK who have reported purchasing them from local stores in the UK in the past.

There is also the date difference, but OldSchoolTama wrote it the wrong way around; the 1st Wave of Music Star used the DD/MM form, yet the 2nd Wave returned to the standard MM/DD form. ;)

Other than the few minor differences that OldSchoolTama mentioned, they will run just the same. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also the date difference, but OldSchoolTama wrote it the wrong way around; the 1st Wave of Music Star used the DD/MM form, yet the 2nd Wave returned to the standard MM/DD form. ;)
My mistake (I started up my Music Star just now to confirm :D )! You're absolutely right about this, Sam. Sheesh, why couldn't everything just be kept exactly the same? :p Thanks for clearing that up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back