Getting an iD-L

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ichiro.malfoy

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm planning to get an iD-L in the next few days, however, as a guy, I find the designs a little too girlish for my taste. I currently own a v6 Music Star (the Techno Sound one) and I think the iD-L is just too cool to pass up.

As for the language, I have learned basic Japanese when I was in college so I don't think this would be an issue.

Here are a few questions:

1. Any guys here who owns an iD-L? I was wondering which colour/design is more gender-neutral. I couldn't do anything with the jewel design, so maybe the colour would compensate.

2. I don't have an infrared-capable phone, do you think would it bore me to death if I don't get any downloads for it and just live with the built-in stuff?

3. How long does the iD-L take to drain its batteries? I usually turn the sounds off.

I may have other questions and will post in this thread as they come up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! Congrats on deciding to get an iD L! They're great fun. :)

1. I'm not a guy but I do know of guys who have iD Ls. One guy's favorite color happens to be green and lucky for him, it's a color option for the iD L, so that's what he went with. Others pick white because they think it's the most gender-neutral of them all. Some others will pick blue because, save for the jewel design (which you mentioned), it can be seen as a look that a boy would like. There are yellow ones out there too. Long story short, I think the pink and purple ones might not be for you (unless one or both of those are your favorite color!) but other than that, it's completely up to you!

2. In my opinion, the iD L is so chock-full of items and things to do and see that you'll find it fun even months and months after you first break into it, even without the downloads. I have an IR phone and access to all the downloads and I must say that I rarely tap into them. They're an added bonus. On a related note, if you do decide on getting an IR phone someday, I'd recommend finding one through Ebay if you can; there are many cheap ones there. I recommend a Palm Treo. I got my phone + accessories + all the cables for about $10. It's very easy to use.

3. Depends on the battery and how often you use the IR connection (which drains batteries fairly quickly). It's been a while since I've kept track of how long it takes to drain the batteries, but I'd say it takes 2-3 months. The iD L takes 2 AAA batteries.

Thanks for that information!

I was thinking of getting the blue one, but it still looks a little too girly, so I asked my sisters for opinions and they suggested I take the white/silver one, which is similar to what you said that it's the most gender-neutral.

So I placed an order for the white one on CDJapan, turns out they're selling it much cheaper than those of eBay. Though it says on CDJapan that it will take them 3-5 days to ship, hopefully they could ship it out sooner because I'm really excited!

Curse you, Bandai! LOL Why do you have create a stereotype for the Tamagotchi? xD

AAA batteries are easy to acquire, but they come in with an initial pair inside the box, right?

Good call on going with CD Japan. They have the cheapest color Tamagotchis.

Yes, a pair of batteries is included in the box.

I'm excited for you! CD Japan is fairly quick when it comes to processing and shipping things out. Which shipping method did you choose? If you're like me and want to go the cheapest route with SAL and don't mind waiting just a little bit longer, that's not a bad choice. Takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive, in my experience. If you went the pricier route for shipping, I've heard nothing but great things about FedEx and EMS, since they ship the quickest and provide a tracking number.

Isn't it odd that the iD-L's are cheaper than the Tamagotchi+Color ones, considering the iD-L is a much newer version?

(It's just not fair because TMGC+ are more gender-friendly design-wise *pouts*)

Well, I took the EMS one just to be sure (I'm really impatient with shipping, particularly with things that I badly wanted to get my hands on!).

I was just hoping that they could ship it out as soon as possible. I have accumulated some frequent shopper points already since I've been buying my J-Pop stuff there, so I got a discount. :D

I'm from Canada so hopefully it wouldn't take that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think once I get the sufficient funds (well.. a surplus of funds, really) I'm going to purchase one from CDJapan considering how much cheaper they are. You've presented a great resource ichiro, thank you.

You're welcome! Which colour are you intending to get? I don't think CD Japan has the blue one, though.

Thanks for the help, OST! The order's still in processing and it just makes me more anxious! :p Hope it arrives sooner! :)

Thanks for that information!

I was thinking of getting the blue one, but it still looks a little too girly, so I asked my sisters for opinions and they suggested I take the white/silver one, which is similar to what you said that it's the most gender-neutral.

So I placed an order for the white one on CDJapan, turns out they're selling it much cheaper than those of eBay. Though it says on CDJapan that it will take them 3-5 days to ship, hopefully they could ship it out sooner because I'm really excited!

Curse you, Bandai! LOL Why do you have create a stereotype for the Tamagotchi? xD

AAA batteries are easy to acquire, but they come in with an initial pair inside the box, right?
According to bandai, girls are far more into tamagotchi than boys. That's why they're becoming girlier with every version. It's also why the mascots have changed from the "original three" (mametchi, memetchi, and kuchipatchi) to Lovelitchi and himespetchi. But congrats on your new iD L! You will enjoy it a lot. :)

Glad to hear you're getting an ID L - definitely one of my favourite versions by far!

It looks as though you've had most of your questions answered, but wanted to pipe in about the colour choice. I have the white version as well and I can reassure that you'll absolutely love it! It's quite the gem (no pun intended), and even though slightly "shimmery" in appearance, it somewhat reminds me of Mac computers from the early 2000's. It's a very "clean" looking Tama and I just know you're going to have a ton of fun with it. Enjoy!

I recently purchased a BLUE iD L, since i was having the same thoughts about some of the other colours being too girly. I cant wait ! My tama-go's screen is soooo dark its going to be nice having something that lights up

I have the white version as well and I can reassure that you'll absolutely love it! It's quite the gem (no pun intended), and even though slightly "shimmery" in appearance, it somewhat reminds me of Mac computers from the early 2000's. It's a very "clean" looking Tama and I just know you're going to have a ton of fun with it.
Thanks! I was also thinking along the same lines. And besides, having a white iD L would complement my current V6 (Techno Sound) which is black.

Anyway, I've been hearing stuff about the iD L that they are very prone to scratches. Is that true?

Ultimately that depends on who's playing with it! :D I'm a little overly-cautious with my Tamas and usually carry them around in their official case or a makeshift-style case. Even with the precautions to not scratch the screen, it does have very fine scratches (which are only noticeable in certain types of light) which I believe are a result from dust being wiped off. The casing seems fairly durable, but depending on how you're transporting / playing / storing your ID L, you may experience less or more scratches. Generally, if you're a little extra careful, you shouldn't expect any damage or deep scratches to appear. But like any small shiny device, it will be prone to light scratches just from normal handing and playing - nothing to worry about.

I've heard some members mention that they've purchased phone screen protectors, which are then cut-to-size for the ID L screen. Also, if you look in the TamaTalk tBay - Want to Sell section, some members are selling their own homemade ID L covers/cases (some of them are really neat!)

Also, be careful with the outer ring that borders the faceplate (where it says "Tamagotchi iD L"). That is also prone to scratches. It looks like it's made of metal but it's actually paint-coated.

Oh, I thought that was chrome! (Well, it could have been worse if it was!) :p

Well, I think I'd go the customizing a screen protector for it, then.

...and CD Japan is still processing my order. LOL I really can't wait. I guess I'll just keep busy with my v6 for the meantime.

I don't have my iD L yet but I've already learned a lot from you guys! Thanks! ;)

I'm thinking about getting either yellow, white, or purple. The purple mostly because it's on sale currently on their website. I thought the yellow one was green because it has a very strange tint to it, but I liked it. The white one is also very basic and reminds me of the P1 tamagotchis/mac computers.

I have a purple one even though I wanted a yellow one :angry:

I was very cautious about protecting my iD L, and I haven't had it for very long but the screen it scratched to bits! They are very visible and annoying... XP

But anyway, the iD L is awesome fun even though it is a bit girly. There are only 15 male adults, but 17 female adults, and some of the house designs are all pinkish. But I think they are enjoyable for anyone. Congratulations! =D

...and I actually forgot that this week is called the 'Golden Week' (a series of holidays) in Japan, therefore my iD L won't get processed/shipped until next week. >_

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for bumping this topic, but here's an update - my iD L's already shipped out! :D Hopefully it should arrive next week.

I have a few more questions, I believe most of these were already asked before, but I think I needed more details:

1. What are the destinations that are built-in within the iD L?

2. It's been mentioned that each new destination will be unlocked every 4 unique Tamatomo characters, and it looks like there are 32 characters, however this include the children/teens. Does this mean at every phase of the Tamagotchi's growth, I will need to collect the their happy symbols?

3. Are there "downloadable" destinations other than the ones built-in?

4. What can we do on those destinations?

5. Is there a comprehensive list of characters and their "requirements" for their respective happy symbols?

6. It looks like the backlight of the screen turns off automatically (similar to phones). Can we still see the Tamagotchi's screen after it gets turned off? I like the classic LCD of the older non-colour Tamas, since we can check on them simply by glancing at the screen.

Forgive me for the bunch of inquiries, it's just that I can't hide the fact that I'm excited for the iD L, LOL.

Sorry for bumping this topic, but here's an update - my iD L's already shipped out! :D Hopefully it should arrive next week.

I have a few more questions, I believe most of these were already asked before, but I think I needed more details:

1. What are the destinations that are built-in within the iD L?

2. It's been mentioned that each new destination will be unlocked every 4 unique Tamatomo characters, and it looks like there are 32 characters, however this include the children/teens. Does this mean at every phase of the Tamagotchi's growth, I will need to collect the their happy symbols?

3. Are there "downloadable" destinations other than the ones built-in?

4. What can we do on those destinations?

5. Is there a comprehensive list of characters and their "requirements" for their respective happy symbols?

6. It looks like the backlight of the screen turns off automatically (similar to phones). Can we still see the Tamagotchi's screen after it gets turned off? I like the classic LCD of the older non-colour Tamas, since we can check on them simply by glancing at the screen.

Forgive me for the bunch of inquiries, it's just that I can't hide the fact that I'm excited for the iD L, LOL.
You haven't bumped the topic. Bumping a topic is posting in a topic that hasn't been posted in for three months. Just a note. ;)

1) The destinations that are built in are as follows: Henshin Jo, Patchi Onsen, Melody Land, Concert Hall, Waru Cafe, Gypsytchi, Tamagotchi School, and the Gotchi King's Castle.

2)No, you can only collect happy symbols for adult characters. I think you got that confused. There are only 32 ADULT characters. :) So, for example, if I have a Mametchi, then a Memetchi, then a Lovelitchi, then a Kuchipatchi and I collect all of their happy symbols, I will unlock the Henshin Jo. This goes on and on until you unlock the Gotchi King's castle by having obtained ALL of the adult characters and collecting their happy symbols.

3)Yes, you can download the Gotchi King's Castle, if that makes sense. When you download and go to this destination, the Gotchi King will give you money.

4)At the Henshin Jo, you can dress up certain characters into their alter egos. At Patchi Onsen, you can pay $100 to go in the hot springs. Those are just examples, because I don't want to spoil the surprise. ;)

5)Yes, there is one on Tama Zone. (it's HERE.) Keep in mind that there are obtainable happy symbols via download items, the happy symbols are not limited to only the three built in items. :)

6)No. After a short period of inactivity, the screen goes to "sleep", but by pressing a button you can turn it on again. This is to save battery, because if the screen was on all the time, the battery would die in about 24 hours.

1. Any guys here who owns an iD-L? I was wondering which colour/design is more gender-neutral. I couldn't do anything with the jewel design, so maybe the colour would compensate. I'm a girl, but for boys, definitely the blue or green. I own the blue one, and it's definitely boy-suitable.

2. I don't have an infrared-capable phone, do you think would it bore me to death if I don't get any downloads for it and just live with the built-in stuff? The iD L can't bore you to death, downloads or not. I went for a good six months without downloads and I managed fine, although of course it's nice to have downloads, too.

3. How long does the iD-L take to drain its batteries? I usually turn the sounds off. A month or so with sound off and a small amount of connecting. At least, that's how long my batteries last.

Overall, I'd say to get it without hesitation! It's a great version, and definitely worth the money. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back